Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Congrats bro!

Very Impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    Ken, with an oven like yours you will just HAVE to make your own dough, sauce, and maybe even press the olives for homemade oil...
    I enjoy making dough, that's no problem. I'll take a crack at homemade sauce; but I'll probably pass on the home-squeezed olive juice. Our grocery store has several varieties

I really like the vent. It looks so simple and fits so well, matches the rest of the dome in fact.
    Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out. More pics in the next post.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Ken, with an oven like yours you will just HAVE to make your own dough, sauce, and maybe even press the olives for homemade oil...

I really like the vent. It looks so simple and fits so well, matches the rest of the dome in fact.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Here are the last two special cut bricks for the vent.

Here they are installed.

I should have the arch finished later today.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Instead of just a plain old rectangular slot for my vent, I decided to make it more complicated, thus requiring more cuts, time and aggravation.

The idea (borrowed from others, of course) is to try to grab as much smoke leaving the oven and give it an easy way to flow up to the chimney. I made some 45deg cuts on the outer vent arch bricks. The next set of arch bricks will have similar cuts continuing the 45deg angle up to the top of the vent.

If I'm not describing this well, I'll have more pics tomorrow after the next set of bricks are set.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by christo View Post
    Have never tried a canned premade sauce.
    Ummm... What other kind of sauce is there?

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Have never tried a canned premade sauce.

Looks like I should keep a jar or two on hand for that quick spur of the moment pizza with frozen/refrigerated dough.....

Christo

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post

To date, the fanciest pizza I've ever made uses Ragu Pizza Quick for the sauce. I thought it tasted pretty good.
    Ken
    I used the Ragu Pizza Quick sauce quite a bit... I've tried many others... canned... cold... bags... jars...etc.

It actually is one of the better one's I have used.

I feel a flaming coming for admitting that....

Let it begin.

You can't beat the San Marzano canned tomatoes though. Give em a try!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Make the dough wet/sticky and retard it for a day.
    It really enhances the flavor, and increases the rise........ Lessons I've learned here.
    I'll be loaded with questions when it comes time to cook. I have a lot of research to do. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to dough, yeast, retarding, etc.

To date, the fanciest pizza I've ever made uses Ragu Pizza Quick for the sauce. I thought it tasted pretty good. Looks like I have a lot to learn.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    Dave, I'm totally impressed with your oven. Pretty cool seeing food coming out of it. I'm ready to start concentrating on FOOD instead of bricks!
    I appreciate it Ken.
    It's kind of sad when the dome is done. But I must admit, it is a relief too.

And I was worried about the pizza...(would it really be that much better than the kitchen oven?)...but trust me, when you do eat your first one! You will know it was all worth it.

Make the dough wet/sticky and retard it for a day.
    It really enhances the flavor, and increases the rise........ Lessons I've learned here.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    When do you think you will get that badWFO fired up?
    BadWFO... I like that one. Almost sounds like a bad word.

I figure I'll finish the arch, build the transition and mount the anchor plate before I start curing.

I just got my DuraTech Anchor Plate yesterday (thanks FornoBravo!). So I can start planning my vent. I hope I can start curing before Thanksgiving.

Dave, I'm totally impressed with your oven. Pretty cool seeing food coming out of it. I'm ready to start concentrating on FOOD instead of bricks!

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ken, I have total respect for the way you are doing the arch. Very creative. I will use that (maybe).

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Beautiful as usual.

I can't wait to see the finished arch.

When do you think you will get that badWFO fired up?

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Thanks again for all the kind comments. I really appreciate the encouragement.

After the temp climbed above 35F this morning, I headed out and worked on the vent walls. Since the bricks were cold soaked overnight, I threw them in a bucket of warm water to soak after cutting.

I was also able to cut the first two arch bricks. After cleaning up, I threw a camping tarp over it and turned on a 60watt light bulb inside.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Hey, that's a lot better than anything you could buy at a store...!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X