• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken524
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Sorry Les, Ken and all. I would think that now to double up the arch wall and to reenforce with concrete like JC's at base would be cool.
    Ken, you are also going to frame the exterior, similar to what I am going to do. I wonder if the idea of doubling will look wierd though?
    No apologies necessary. I can barely keep up with this thread!

Depending on where the reinforcement is and how it's framed, you won't see the doubling. I was hoping to frame it like Drake's, but doubling up the walls won't work with that. I started a new thread for this subject. Hopefully I can come up with something clever.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I feel a bit retarded since going back and noticing. Sorry Les, Ken and all. I would think that now to double up the arch wall and to reenforce with concrete like JC's at base would be cool.
    Ken, you are also going to frame the exterior, similar to what I am going to do. I wonder if the idea of doubling will look wierd though?

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by dusty View Post
    some poor sap in Sacramento CA. has the song "Mi Amouri" stuck in his head for two days!
    Sorry Dusty! It's stuck in my head as well (and I'm not even a big Dean Martin fan)

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Les, with all the ovens built within the past year, and all the friends here speaking of experiences, none are saying they have had the bowing issue.
    Acoma,

Read the link I posted earlier from JC's experience (I reposted it below). While I'm not exactly overwrought with concern, I'm thinking an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/sa...elena#post6409

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Les, with all the ovens built within the past year, and all the friends here speaking of experiences, none are saying they have had the bowing issue. All I am seeing are the various types of success with the arch and flue. Are you sure you aren't going overboard with the extra row and steel? You would likely be the first.
    James and Jim, from all your tours and interactions with builders, does Les really need this much at the arch? Actually, any of you that have completed your ovens?

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

I've read about this "bowing" possibility in other threads. I'm not sure I agree with it. Once the mortar sets in the arch, the arch is a solid object resting on the side walls. Any weight on the arch should be translated vertically to the walls.

Ken - I agree with you in part. If we had a "true" arch, I believe the weight would be transfered to the vertical direction. Our aches are more on the "flat" side, so I see the forces pushing horizontal. True, the bricks are mortared but they are solid, I don't think we get as much shear strength as we would with a core. I am going to add another row of core brick on the sides and may even put in some steel.

Good luck and great progress.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Ken,
    The internet never ceases to amaze me. You produce an obscure pizza oven video in Lousville, KY., and some poor sap in Sacramento CA. has the song "Mi Amouri" stuck in his head for two days! Remarkable.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by biondoli View Post
    So I would reinforce it asap, and not only the base, you need to reinforce the full sides because the arch is going to tranfer the weight to the sides and not down.
    Thanks Carlo... I'm brainstorming the engineering of it right now

Leave a comment:

• biondoli
    replied

Ken
    first of all congratulations for the amazing work you did and the movie as well, it's cool and very useful, I am planning to use it while I'll build mine. In fact want to do the arch as you did without istalling the iron bar.
    Regarding the force of the arch pushing down, I think your thinking is right if you refer to the arch closer to the dome, if I understand well looking at the pictures, instead, the external arch is very exposed and does not have any lateral strenght. So I would reinforce it asap, and not only the base, you need to reinforce the full sides because the arch is going to tranfer the weight to the sides and not down. Good luck, ciao Carlo

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Les,

I just discovered an interesting post about buttressing and arch wall movement:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/sa...elena#post6409

Jahysea had this very problem. For now, I plan on doing a few curing fires and watching the arch carefully. If I see any cracks develop, I'll throw in some reinforcement on the sides.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Great video Ken. Very cool. I love the sound track!

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

That was a great video.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Dannyboyblue View Post
    Nice movie. Can't wait to see how it ends.
    I just hope it doesn't end like the Towering Inferno or Titanic.

Leave a comment:

• Dannyboyblue
    replied

Thanks Ken,
    Nice movie. Can't wait to see how it ends.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X