replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Try Maui sweet onions too.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
    Perhaps genuine San Marzanos benefit not only from the climate but also from soil make up, drainage and orientation to the sun in that area.
    Absolutely, without a doubt! That's why "Vidalia" onions only taste the way they do when grown down in Vidalia, Georgia. You can grow sweet onions about any where, and they are acceptable, but just not the same as real Vidalia's.

I'm going to get some San Marzano seeds this summer and give them a shot, I've also grown Roma's with good results. I'm sure that a firm fleshed fresh tomato of those varieties would make fine pizza.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

Guys,

Years ago I wrote a newsletter on wines for a prominent client. Involved tons of research. I found out very quickly that a lot of ink has been spilled about soil conditions, mineral content, drainage, compass directions, etc., etc. in European vineyards. It's not all blowing smoke, either. Perhaps genuine San Marzanos benefit not only from the climate but also from soil make up, drainage and orientation to the sun in that area. If so, the flavor would be affected in the same way that distinuishes French and Italian grapes from various regions. Just a thought.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Good question. Probably could keep a greenhouse warm enough in the winter with a heater. During summertime, it might be much easier.

Summer temps in Southern Italy are very similar to summers in the LA basin. Many days of very warm weather, both days and nights. These tomatoes are grown in one specific area just outside Naples, and are supposed to be superior to others outside that region, at least for making sauces. I'm not totally sure that is the case, but they may have been the best available (without trucks, trains, ect.) during the development of the Pizza Napolitana...... something of an urban legend from the past that continues to live on today.

Hey, give it a shot Ken. It would be fun to try anyway I bet you could grow some pretty nice tomatoes in the summer down there in KY.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

GB, with a green house you can create any climate, right?

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Ken,
    I have a feeling that the San Marzano tomato's pizza sauce perfection is a result of climate and not genetics. I was surprised to read (this morning at 3:00 AM on the FB website) that Christopher Columbus brought the tomato from the Americas back to Europe (at least that's what I my bleary eyes revealed to me during the wee hours). Certainly, there's been some plant breeding to produce the best product for that climate over the three hundred or so years it has been grown there, but lacking the hot and dry Mediteranean climate, I think your efforts would not produce what you were aspiring to.

Lacking San Marzanos, try Roma tomatoes. They make great pasta sauce, bruschetta, and I've used them with really nice results in pizza sauce.

G.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Ken, just curious, what else did you plan to buy at the hydroponic store?
    It must be very GREEN there......kidding.
    The Hydroponics place is COOL! It's the middle of December and they have fresh cherry tomatoes growing in the store window. I started thinking about San Marzano Tomatoes. If I had room in the basement I would do it.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
    When you did your form for the hearth, did you put a turnbuckle and wire in to hold the long sides together? If so, did you see that much sideways movement during the pour?
    RC,

I did use a turnbuckle on the long sides. You can see it here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...ndex.php?n=595

The wire and turnbuckle were tightened pretty snug so I didn't see any flexing of the form sides.

You can see the wires hanging out the sides in this pic:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...ndex.php?n=734
    I still haven't cut them yet.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ken, just curious, what else did you plan to buy at the hydroponic store?
    It must be very GREEN there......kidding.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    Over the last couple of days I built the hearth frame with the cantilever. The close-up picture shows the cantilever detail and a turnbuckle/cable that I installed to hold the slightly warped 2x6's in place.

The cantilever is 12" at the longest point. Because of the curve, there really isn't a whole lot of concrete that will be extending the full distance.

Hopefully, I put in enough rebar (can you put in too much?)

Ken
    When you did your form for the hearth, did you put a turnbuckle and wire in to hold the long sides together? If so, did you see that much sideways movement during the pour?

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Thanks Ken,
    I got your meaning about the seams going downward.

I was considering using rebar wire to kind of tie the thing up a bit, at least around the sides. Sounds like it may not be necessary.

George

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post

Does anyone out there disagree with not securing the blankets?? If there is a good reason to secure them, I need to know pretty soon!

I don't see a problem with it. As long as they are full length pieces. i.e. - they run from the bottom of the dome on one side to the bottom of the dome on the other. That way the middle of the run is at the top of the dome.

I cut my blanket in a few small pieces to fill in, so I had to run a length of copper wire around the dome to secure things.

I think you will be fine.
    And those extra layers at the top should work wonders.

Just my two cents.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
    BTW, did you use any strapping or other support to keep the blankets in place? I don't see anything in the photo.
    That's another good question!
    So far I haven't used anything to secure the blankets. I just started laying them on the dome, trimming and overlapping where necessary.

The Kaowool is dense, heavy and stays put really well. The layers sort of "stick" together due to the course fibers. They don't slip around once you put them down. To adjust, you have to lift it up, then lay it back down.

I made sure all my overlapped seams pointed downward so gravity would help keep them sealed (I'm not sure that's going to make any sense)

After several layers I didn't see any point in securing them. It will all get covered with loose-fill Vermiculite/Perlite and enclosed.

Does anyone out there disagree with not securing the blankets?? If there is a good reason to secure them, I need to know pretty soon!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
    I was going to go with perlite as well, but Dave's got me thinking otherwise.
    Yeah, me to. Everything I'd read up to now says that they are equal in insulating performance so I figured I'd save $4/bag and go with Perlite.

When I get to that point, I'll ask the hydroponics shop to show me samples of each. If I go with the Perlite, I'll save maybe $20. If vermic is that much easier to handle, I'll be happy to blow the $20 on it.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Perlite is very abrasive and the course-grade still has small particles that to like fly around and get in your eyes, nose, ears...

The medium-sized vermiculite has less dust and small particles than the course-perlite, and it was superior in handling qualities as compared to course perlite.

Trust me here. I played with both.
    Vermiculite is definitely the way to go.
    Wow... OK. Vermiculite then . The hydroponics store down the street from us has both. Maybe I'll ask to see a sample of each. The Perl is $16, Vermic is $19/bag, so it's really not a big deal on price.

Thanks for the advice!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X