X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken524
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Super discussion! Thanks for all the input.

Leave a comment:

• vincent
    replied

Went and did my homework and refreshed my memory. The product is called Spectralock and is made by a company named Laticrete. Its a sanded grout so it can be used in wider grout lines.In a small line like an 1/8 inch it will be a courser texture because of the sand. The product information is at LATICRETE? International > Home

Leave a comment:

• vincent
    replied

James....i don't remember exactly what the grout line max size was but mine are 3/16. And as egalecki stated it is a tad pricey but i believe its worth the extra cost.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I think the widest recommended joint was 1/8". The tiles I was using were porcelain. I don't think you can use it with just anything- I suspect it would stain natural stone, although I am not sure. It's pretty sticky and you have to use vinegar to clean up- but it was pretty straightforward to work with otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
    I've used that epoxy grout too, on my mother in law's wall behind her cooktop. It's very durable and doesn't stain. It is a bit "spendy", though. However, as the man says, it's pretty much bulletproof, so it might be a good choice if you're worried about durability and stain resistance. WEAR GLOVES!
    This one is a keeper. Do other folks have experience with epoxy grout outside? Our slab granite joints were sealed (inside kitchen) with color-in epoxy. This sounds like something in the middle. How wide of a joint can you make with it?

James

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I've used that epoxy grout too, on my mother in law's wall behind her cooktop. It's very durable and doesn't stain. It is a bit "spendy", though. However, as the man says, it's pretty much bulletproof, so it might be a good choice if you're worried about durability and stain resistance. WEAR GLOVES!

Leave a comment:

• vincent
    replied

I have to agree with ajc on the tile. Porcelain is the way to go. I have an outside cabinet with a large cast iron sink and a tile countertop. Although its under the patio roof its right at the outside edge. It still gets rain and snow and i've never had a cracking problem. I believe that proper grouting is also critical. There are sealers to apply but being outside it will probably have to be reapplied on occassion. But i found a 2 part grout at Lowes. You mix an epoxy with it. The stuff seems to be bullet proof. The trick is to work quickly so it doesn't start to set up on you. I applied it with a grout float then wiped the tiles with a common grout sponge. It still looks like the day i applied it.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by ajc001 View Post
    glad i could help! i know i'll be looking to all of you when i start my project (most likely not this summer unfortunately) i just keep telling myself "all good things come to those who wait"
    When you start, be sure to take pictures and share them with the group!

Leave a comment:

• ajc001
    replied

glad i could help! i know i'll be looking to all of you when i start my project (most likely not this summer unfortunately) i just keep telling myself "all good things come to those who wait"

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by ajc001 View Post
    porcelain tile and ceramic tile are non porous (<.05%) and therefore don't need to be sealed... porcelain tile is the most durable believe it or not. hope this helps.
    Porcelain it is then! Thanks so much for throwing your two cents in. It's great that we have so many people with different areas of expertise.

Welcome to the Pizza forum!

Leave a comment:

• ajc001
    replied

I know i'm a newbie here but i think i can offer some insight to the tile question as i am in the tile industry. porcelain tile and ceramic tile are non porous (<.05%) and therefore don't need to be sealed. natural stone, ie marble granite and slate, need to be sealed. ceramic tile is not suited for outside as it is not frost free. marble, granite and slate TILE should not be used outside either as they will crack in frost conditions (expansion contraction). maybe not overnight, but almost definitely guaranteed. in frost environments most stone tiles need to be 3/4" thick to ensure it won't crack. so while stone tile is beautiful be sure to use the right material. porcelain tile is the most durable believe it or not. hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• biondoli
    replied

Ken,
    let me recap:
    ceramic is ok for outside if your area doesn't go down to freezing temperatures and it is sensitive to drastic temp change as well. To be safe I would stay with porcelain. Granite is ok for outside especially if you use tiles and not a big slab, which instead is more delicate. In Italy all the ovens I have seen have granite as landing and working areas....maybe because is cheaper than porcelain Regarding sealing, I would not do it as far as you use it, there is no better sealing that all the stuff that you will spill there on the landing, like olive oil, flour etc. I would seal it if you plan to not use it for long time, like long winter. Ciao Carlo

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by james View Post
    Ceramic tile sounds perfect. Hearty, good-looking and easy to clean. If you do a good job of sealing the mortar it will keep your counter nice and fresh.
    James
    Glad to hear! Thanks James.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
    I'm also glad to see soot on your entry area, after seeing your video and that draw I saw was great I was wondering if I had to do my chimney area over again.
    Actually, most of that soot was from when I started a fire on the landing and hearth trying to dry out my insulation board. I wouldn't touch your vent. It looks great and I'll bet if draws just fine.

I see you have the arch/vent area covered with the blanket, have you noticed that area getting hot?
    Yeah, it gets pretty warm. I probably don't need the blankets, but I had the extra pieces so I threw them on.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
    You're a patient man: good work. Remember, the concrete screws should be just snug, not tight.
    Got it. Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X