• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ggoose
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Hi Ken,
    Your oven turned out great I noticed you face-tapered your soldier course (if I interpret you photos correctly). Did you use your 10 inch HF wet saw for this? It seems that since the face of the brick is 4.5" and the saw blade diameter is 10", it must have been a tight squeeze to get the brick past the blade to make the cut. At any rate, your joints look very clean.
    Off topic, Louisville, flying...UPS pilot?
    gene

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by schallert View Post
    Hi Ken, What was the depth of your hearth pour? 3.5? 4?
    Hi Dan!

If I remember right, I used 2x6 boards clamped to the block base giving me a 4" thick hearth.

It appears you used the 2 inch SuperIsol board and not the vermiculite for insulation... Are you satisfied with that? Would you recommended this?
    Yes, I used 2" thick refractory board and it seems to insulate just fine. You won't go wrong with 2" Forno Bravo Board (SuperIsol).

Since you are referencing my build, do NOT use the brand of board I used. I won't mention the brand name here to avoid confusion.

The stuff you want is Forno Bravo's board.

Leave a comment:

• schallert
    replied

Hi Ken, What was the depth of your hearth pour? 3.5? 4? I am starting my block stand (4 x 4.5 blocks) today and hoping to pour the hearth next weekend or so. It appears you used the 2 inch SuperIsol board and not the vermiculite for insulation... Are you satisfied with that? Would you recommended this? I am building a 36 inch oven. I hope you can help me here. Thanks, Dan

Leave a comment:

• DaveDQ
    replied

Ken, your oven and arbor looks fantastic. I keep coming back to your pictures and just sit here looking at them.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Very cool. Lucky G-scouts. I was 48 years old before I ever heard of a wood fired pizza oven. And these kids WILL remember.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Girl Scouts End-of-School-Year Pizza Party.
    We had a great afternoon. We provided the pizza, other parents provided drinks and salads. My son and I made 30 dough balls last night (my poor Cuisinart got HOT). Dave's dough recipe was perfect.

1st pic is me showing the girls how to build a pie.
    2nd pic is me wishing I had a beer (wouldn't be appropriate at a Girl Scout party!)
    3rd and 4th pics... plating and cooking pies!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied
    Re: oven door

Originally posted by biondoli View Post
    Don't you have the same problem also on the internal side of the door? Or because the grain of the Kaowool is on the smooth side it does flake off through the opening of the extended steel? Thanks a lot for your advices
    The expanded metal protects the interior side of the Kaowool very nicely. As long as it stays dry the board is very stable. I haven't noticed any flaking, chipping or wear on the inside.

Leave a comment:

• biondoli
    replied
    oven door

The door looks very nice i like it very much and simple to build...
    HTML Code:
    One project I need to do is disassemble the door, trim the insulation
    slightly around the edges and line the edges with some aluminum 
    flashing to keep the insulation from flaking off into the oven. 
    Other than that, the door works great
    Don't you have the same problem also on the internal side of the door? Or because the grain of the Kaowool is on the smooth side it does flake off through the opening of the extended steel? Thanks a lot for your advices

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Carlo,

Here's the thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/k...door-3118.html

The metal stuff on the interior of the door is called expanded metal or expanded steel. Why did I use it? Because I copied the idea from someone else and they used it . I think it sort of looks cool, too.

One project I need to do is disassemble the door, trim the insulation slightly around the edges and line the edges with some aluminum flashing to keep the insulation from flaking off into the oven. Other than that, the door works great.

Leave a comment:

• biondoli
    replied
    oven door

Ken,
    I could not find the thread on the forum regarding your oven door, but I did see it on the picasa album.
    Any specific reason why you used that kind of steel sheet grate (not sure what is the exact term for it) on the internal part of the oven?....and not the same kind you used on the external side? thanks ciao Carlo

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by jengineer View Post
    stop doing those carrier style landings and grease it once in a while.
    Hmmm... good point!

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Carrier quals! Oh the pilots at the bar would love to join you on your landing Ken!

Leave a comment:

• jengineer
    replied

stop doing those carrier style landings and grease it once in a while.

When will James get smell a vision for this site?

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    Nice landing! What kind of tiles did you choose?
    FINALLY, someone tells me I made a nice landing (I almost never hear that at work ).

Thanks Frances. The tile is porcelain with a stone like finish on it. It goes nicely with the red brick and stone exterior that I will add on the stand.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Nice landing! What kind of tiles did you choose?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X