• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sarah h
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

Ken, it looks absolutely wonderful!
    I can't help noticing a certain similarity, colour-wise, between the oven and the kid's playhouse ... is that by coincidence or design?
    And now ... what's cooking??

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Let me preface this post with the following:

(apologies to "The Man Song")

I'm the King of my castle [when my wife's not around]

What I say goes [right out the window]

I can drink and watch sports whenever I wanna [get in trouble]

I'll come home when I'm good and ready [to sleep on the couch]

I can have sex anytime [that she wants it]

Coz a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do [And I'm gonna do what she tells me to]

That being said...

I decided (uhmmm... well, she decided) that the stucco color was a bit too pink and lacked "pop" and "umph". So we picked a different color and made our daily run to Home Depot for another can of paint.

As usual, she was right. I like it a lot better.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Thanks guys!! When I get the arbor up, I'll post a pic or two.

Leave a comment:

• thebadger
    replied

Ken

Looks great!!! Can't wait to see how you tie everything together.

Thanks
    Dick

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Way to go Ken. Beautiful work right down to the final details. I like the way your different materials all came together in the finished product -- it has character and movement, and it all goes together perfectly.

To quote Mike -- on with the cooking. We have friends from Florence here this weekend, and we're firing up the oven!

James
    Last edited by james; 08-14-2008, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Congratulations! The entire build has been fun to watch. Thanks for documenting your progress so carefully. It's a great help to other builders.

Now get cooking!

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Yeah, sure it's done, but now you have to learn how to use it!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by dbhansen View Post
    I hope this doesn't mean the beginning of the end of your posts
    I plan to stick around; I'm sort of addicted to this place. James was smart by having cooking/baking boards to keep the finished builders interested!

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Congrats, Ken! It looks fantastic. You've certainly been an inspiration to me; thanks for posting all this great information and photos. I hope this doesn't mean the beginning of the end of your posts (you at least have to become an "Il Pizzaiolo")!

- Daren

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

That's because I am closer.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

see, I knew I wouldn't get in there first...

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Well done Ken! Let me be the first to congratulate you (only I'll probably have to type really fast for that....)

Seriously, its been a joy and an inspration watching your wonderful oven take shape. Thank you very much for sharing your progress.

May you have many happy hours of enjoyment with your oven for many years to come!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Congrats Ken! Truely a GREAT body of work.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied
    Finished Oven!

Well, it's hard to believe the day has arrived. My Old Kentucky Dome is officially complete.

This morning I painted the stucco with Behr (Home Depot) Masonry/Stucco paint. I honestly couldn't be happier with the way the project turned out. The oven far exceeds my expectations in both looks and functionality.

Thanks again to James/Forno Bravo and everyone's support and advice from all around the world (how cool is that?). I couldn't have (and wouldn't have) done it without you guys and gals.

Here's a view of our back patio and the oven. I just poured the footers for an arbor that will cover the patio.

Another view taken from the pool area.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    YES! I had horrible chipping. I went back to the tile shop and showed them a sample. They asked me how old the blade was. I said "only a year, but I had cut a few hundred bricks with it" (it's also a segmented blade - I suspect the tile doesn't like the gaps in the segments).
    All the blades I get for my 8 inch tile saw are smooth-edged. You'll still get chipping if you don't run enough water or the blade is dull, but otherwise the cuts should be smooth as a baby's bottom.

I liked the segmented blade I got for the brick saw, though. I thought it did a better job, faster.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X