X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frances
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

Well (to drag up that tired old joke again) that certainly looks like the best landing you ever made. Very nice, can't wait to see it all with the paint on!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Looks great Ken! Question: I'm finding that the porcelain chips a little bit when I cut it. Did you experience that as well?
    YES! I had horrible chipping. I went back to the tile shop and showed them a sample. They asked me how old the blade was. I said "only a year, but I had cut a few hundred bricks with it" (it's also a segmented blade - I suspect the tile doesn't like the gaps in the segments).

The nice lady sold me a new 10" diamond tile blade for $39. With the new blade, I was able to make nearly perfect cuts.

So, head over to the tile store and grab a new blade!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Looks great Ken! Question: I'm finding that the porcelain chips a little bit when I cut it. Did you experience that as well?

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Porcelain tile has been installed and mortared. I was stuck having the bare edge of the tile exposed around the curved cantilever. I doctor it up a using caulk that matched the grout color to soften the edge a bit. Not a perfect solution but it will suffice.

In hindsight, I should have raised the stone facing up about a 1/4" so the tile could have been inset inside the stone face. Oh well; next oven .

Last step is to paint the stucco. My father-in-law doesn't think I need to wait a month for the paint since I stuccoed in shallow layers. I'll probably buy the paint later this week and slap it on.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

sure ken. sure
    hahha

have a good weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

You guys are too nice. I'm making this all up as I go.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Very cool Ken, looks awesome and a very clever idea!

Les...
    Yeah. He's a smart one that Ken!

And really creative. I wish I had his vision. I'm still stuck wondering how in the heck to finish mine so that it looks half way decent!

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

The tiles and stamped part really look great - good idea!
    Funny thing, my mother has that very same white Kokopelli tile that my brother brought her from ... New Mexico. She uses it as a coaster for her coffee mug. Now, whenever I see it at her place, I'll think of your oven!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Very cool Ken, looks awesome and a very clever idea!

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
    It looks Better than Great! I really like the stamping. What did you use for that?
    Thanks Elizabeth.

I bought the letters from Michael's Crafts (also available from Wal Mart, Ben Franklin Crafts, Hobby Lobby, etc). I looked all over town and couldn't find any numbers; that's why the "8" looks a bit funny. I used the back end of a magic marker.

The little gecko was also from Michael's (25 cents).

I cut the Kokopelli stamp (not pictured) out of 1/8 inch masonite board. I found clipart, enlarged it to print on two sheets and used that as a pattern. A little patience with my jigsaw turned out a nice stamp. I'm planning on cleaning the Kokopelli stamp up a bit and giving it a paint job. He'll make a nice hanging decoration on our arbor when I get it built.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by dbhansen View Post
    Very nice!! My wife and I were very tempted to buy some of those tiles when we visited New Mexico, but we didn't know what to do with them. They look great on your oven.
    Thanks DB!

If you still want to buy some tiles from NM: Art Tiles - Mag Mor Art Tiles

If you call them, they'll send you a full-color glossy catalog. Most of the tiles I saw in the gift shops around Santa Fe and Taos were from Mag Mor.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

It looks Better than Great! I really like the stamping. What did you use for that?

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Very nice!! My wife and I were very tempted to buy some of those tiles when we visited New Mexico, but we didn't know what to do with them. They look great on your oven.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Damn good. Can't wait to see it after the paint.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Excellent my friend!

You never cease to amaze me.
    I think I need to consult with you for my final finish!

Dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X