X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lobo_nz
    replied
    Finally some progress

Yes its been about a year, I finally got money for a blade and time to go buy one, Ive also now got a 3year old daughter and a 3 month old daughter so time is very tight

So, first thing I had to do was level the insulation pad which had a dip in the middle so I made a thin layer of fire cement only about 8mm thick at the thickest part which leaves just enough room for bricks and fireclay/sand bed.

And of course start to mark out where the hearth is.

And just for those who asked:

Caught of my kayak, and unfortunately not cooked in my oven, however, I am committed to getting the dome done so I can cook some fish in it in February when I will have a holiday and time to fish some more so will have to get a move on.

Will post some more images soon of the cut bricks and my almighty saw.

cu, lobo.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Mitch's Oven

Ok Mitch,
    Fish pics or oven pics. Which is it????

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Me too, way off topic. But while I'm here Frances, the first loom was about 2 meters wide. She scaled down to one about half that size.
    G.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Just kidding, I haven't got any pics. Let alone fish. Would fish-fingers be ok?

Wow, a loom! A big room-filling one? I'd love to try that.

I met some people years ago who had two sheep in their garden. Once a year they'd shear them, clean, dye and spin the wool and finally knit it. That's what I call home-made!

Unfortunately we've got a niose-allergic neighbour, so I'm already stalled at the sheep stage

(Sorry for high-jacking your thread Mitch )

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Frances - No!
    OK, just once, and only if it has a fish attached to it.

I'd love to see your knitting. My sis uses a loom. Cool textiles!

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Hmmm... does that mean I can post pics of my knitting?

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

subscribed! cant wait for the next round of photos!
    Last edited by Kemo; 02-20-2008, 02:32 PM. Reason: cant spell worth a sh!t

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

I agree with that. I love trophy fish pics (and I love snapper)!

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

At least post some pictures of the fish!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Good man, don't loose your priorities. Keep your lines in the water!

Leave a comment:

• lobo_nz
    replied

Progress has stalled, had to clean up the place, get rid of boxing etc.
    I have an old compound mitre pull saw that I can use to cut the bricks but I have to do some freelance work to get more money for a diamond blade so will be another week before I get back into it, plus wether has been good so have been out fishing a few times.
    Sort of a halfway through holiday

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Originally posted by lobo_nz;23294
    [B
    RCLake:[/B] you are not the first to suggest making a spa, a guy at work thinks it would make a great alevated 'cuddle puddle' as he puts it, with a wood fire underneath to heat it.
    I can see this picture - two of you enjoying the cuddle puddle with a roaring fire underneath and cannibals standing behind you with their spears.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Mitch,
    Any new shots of progress?
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by lobo_nz View Post

asudavew: no the bricks dont touch the concrete at all, I miss calculated a bit and there will not be as much space as I would have liked, about 50mm (~2inch) at the current dimensions, however I will be filing that space with ceramic blanket so shouldnt worry too much - I am looking at reducing the overall diameter by an inch to get a bit more space its currently 1100mm ID which is 43 and 1/2 inches. so going to 42inch would do any harm, I'll see what I can do in cad - its faster and cheaper than cutting real bricks.

Good deal.
    I saw your pics and just wanted to make sure.
    It will be fun watching you build.
    Keep up the great work.

Dave

snapper pizza...... not sure if I could go for that!!

Leave a comment:

• lobo_nz
    replied

gjbingham: yeah one of the first things I intend cooking in the WFO when finished is some fresh snapper, maybe the first thing would be a snapper pizza - which I have made a few times already.

asudavew: no the bricks dont touch the concrete at all, I miss calculated a bit and there will not be as much space as I would have liked, about 50mm (~2inch) at the current dimensions, however I will be filing that space with ceramic blanket so shouldnt worry too much - I am looking at reducing the overall diameter by an inch to get a bit more space its currently 1100mm ID which is 43 and 1/2 inches. so going to 42inch would do any harm, I'll see what I can do in cad - its faster and cheaper than cutting real bricks.

RCLake: you are not the first to suggest making a spa, a guy at work thinks it would make a great alevated 'cuddle puddle' as he puts it, with a wood fire underneath to heat it.

---

I get an old drop saw from my brother in law this weekend so can start cutting bricks - If I get the blade etc, I have burnt up a bit more cash that expected so need to do some extra work.
    Don't ask for a spreadsheet I havn't been keeping my reciepts, the price would probably shock anyone from overseas the bricks here in NZ are $5.00 each and theres 220 of them in the oven so $1100 worth of just firebricks around $2200 USD I guess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X