X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCLake
    replied
    Re: Mitch's Oven

every time I see your foundation I'm so impressed. You should make a twin of it and use it as a spa, kinda like bookends.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Outstanding work so far!

Not to be critical or anything, but just curious...

Are your bricks going to touch the concrete (around the sides?)
    Because if they do, that slab will suck heat out of your oven....
    I'm not sure if you plan on having insulation around the sides, but you might think about...

Anyways, I just thought about it and didn't want you to have to heat up the whole slab.

Really neat idea though, and that polished concrete...... OUT OF THIS WORLD!

Dave
    Last edited by asudavew; 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

That snapper would be great, no awesome, baked inside a WFO.

Leave a comment:

• lobo_nz
    replied

Some how I missed the emails for the last few comments.

gjbingham: Yeah I figured it would be woth the extra work so I dont end up with ash all over the place - especially with kids under your feet.

christo: I havnt mixed any cement to fill the holes I need to see what will fill the holes with a similar colour when set, I have little experience with concrete and was under the impression it doesnt stick to itself very well so thought I would get some 2 pot resin concrete filler, either that or leave it and call it a 'rustic' finish , If you have any hole filling pointers let me know.

james: You are too kind, I think the finish has turned out pretty well as I usually work on plastic parts and tooling which have to be very accurate so working with concrete and wood I tend to be overly anal about measurements - its very hard to change my ways. And thanks for the site its a wealth of info.

gjbingham and RCLake: Not to take your 'green beer' term literally but I prefer beer in brown bottles, my boss does not- so I suffer green beer in green bottles - its till beer just not as tasty.

And so I went to a wedding this weekend then the day after bbq and luckily Monday here in Auckland is a public holiday so I went fishing (in my Kayak) caught 2 snapper, came home and laid the layer of insulation, so a fairly full weekend.

Here is the result, its not quite flat, its hard stuff to make flat but nothing the sand/fire clay wont make up for.

Last edited by lobo_nz; 01-29-2008, 12:47 AM. Reason: speling mistake

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Oh I'm not sure! We took our inlaws to San Antonio once to visit that great place and one of our stops was the Lone Star brewery. After the tour obviously you get to taste their product. I'll confess, I'm a beer drinker and this was the first time I wouldn't finish one. It just seemed green (a techonolcal term - yeah right). that has been brought up many times in my 30 year marriage.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Christo,
    Bad beer = an open bottle someone spit their chew in the night before, and you grab that bottle by accident and have a swig

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Wow. The quality of the finish is excellent. Very, very impressive. I wish I could do that.

For those of us in the middle of winter, don't you love the summer sky. Those nice high angles.

James

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Bad Beer? Never heard of it!!!

Did you mix up some cement to fill the few holes you have?

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Great result. I think you're going to love the ash pit. Great place to pour out bad beer too.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Very impressive! I can see this is a thread it'll be worth keeping an eye open for

Leave a comment:

• lobo_nz
    replied

Hey, thanks for the kinf comments
    Heres a few pics of the bench now Ive removed the boxing, a few air bubbles here and there but overall pretty good, on to the Insulation layer for the hearth this weekend - if I get the time.

I chose to stick in an ash pit, I figure if I dont use it I can alway sblock it up but it would be way harder to put one in.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by jcg31 View Post
    WOW!!!
    I was thinking something very similar. Keeps getting more and more interesting!

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

WOW!!!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• lobo_nz
    replied

Finally poured the bench with some help, more concrete than the foundation in the bench 0.46 of a cubic meter.

Heres some of the Reinforcing:

Screeded Concrete:

And polished concrete, kept wet so it wont crack hopefully:

Insulation layer next before the real fun begins.

Leave a comment:

• toolman
    replied

This is truly impressive!

I look forward to following the progress of your oven. Having just completed mine I'm more than impressed with the array of foods we have been able to cook in it. You will be thanking the day you made the decision to build a
    WFO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X