X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fnbroken
    replied
    Fantastic build.. impressive!

Realise this is an old thread - but may get a response....

Curious how, and what, you have used to surround/cover the ash chute...Keeping the floor bricks, insulation etc in place and water-tight?

How wide is it? And how far from the front of the inner arch did you locate it?

Would you have done anything different?

Leave a comment:

• lobo_nz
    replied
    Re: Mitch's Oven

The gap between the ceramic blanket and the plaster will be filled with Vermiculite. the insulation will be just over 100mm/4", 25mm/1" of ceramic blanket and 75mm/3" of Vermiculite.
    The Plaster will form an outer shell to contain the Vermiculite which will be filled once I get the mesh on the dome.
    That should be plenty.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Originally posted by lobo_nz View Post
    This has an inch thick ceramic blanket over the dome with a double layer over the top for good measure.
    Are you sure just an inch worth of blanket is sufficient? Or are you also planning on adding additional insulation using a cement mix of vermiculite or perlite before plastering?

Very nice build, btw...
    Last edited by fxpose; 11-13-2010, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dtrbovich
    replied

Wow.....it is looking great! Good work!

Leave a comment:

• lobo_nz
    replied

So I got the done Closed in Im missing some photos they are around somewhere.

This has an inch thick ceramic blanket over the dome with a double layer over the top for good measure.

Then the fun part starts, making the weather proof cover dome.

The black straps are metal pallet strapping, I got a whole roll for $9 NZD from an auction site it weighed about 80kg and is working out well for making the weather dome which is 100mm/4" off the brick.
    I have used the strapping to make the little spacers and everything is riveted together. Once the shape is done Ill put mesh over it and plaster it.

I am waiting on some steel work to transition the brick into the flue after which I will be able to shape the cover over the arch.
    Incase you are wondering what the little kinks in the strap are they were the best way I found to adjust the tension to try and keep the dome nice and spherical.

Oh and heres a vid of the dome internal now Ive taken the supports out.
    I did this so I could see inside for the first time without crawling in there.
    I have since grovelled in there on my back and cleaned it up and filled the bits I missed so its now ready for fireing.

Leave a comment:

• lobo_nz
    replied

Well finally more progress. Life has been in the way.

I have progressed a fair bit since the last post.

The Polystyrene Dome Former I used

Go Dome Go.

Formers for the Entrance Arch

The dome is closed in now and am working on the insulation/weather dome.

I have more photos, will post them soon - have to download them frmo the camera.

There will definately be pizza this xmas, I know Ive said that before

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

Hey Mitch,
    Great to see you back. This was a great one to watch before you left. Looking forward to what is to come, this will be one we will all learn from.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Nice fish! Great build. Good thing you don't play golf. You'd never get any work done on the oven!

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Wow!!
    You're taking things to a whole new level - very cool!
    I'll enjoy watching your progress.

Sarah

Leave a comment:

• Mitchamus
    replied

awesome... subscribed!

Leave a comment:

• exceloven
    replied

Very nice, looking forward to following your progress.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Hi Mitch,

Really cool start. I love it! Keep up the great work.

Leave a comment:

• carloswlkr
    replied

Mitch, I just caught up on your build. Looks absolutely spectacular. Can't wait to see the build progress. I love your precision work.

I totally understand the time constraints of children. I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter, and a 4 month old son... I think I finished the messy part of the oven in time to save our marriage and start cooking pizzas! Now I've got some over-due weekend daddy duty coming my way!

Good luck with the rest of the build. I look forward to watching from afar.
    Last edited by carloswlkr; 02-18-2009, 07:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lobo_nz
    replied

So I am between jobs I get 2 weeks I am torn between fishing and finishing my oven, I will try to make sure any pics of fish I post are taken on the oven in future
    So I got all the hearth bricks cut and laid, I am amazed at how out of square the bricks are they look nice and square (by square I mean right angled corners) but they bulge in the middle some taper and generally not what I was expecting, I like things to fit nicely.
    So I had to come to terms with there being a few cracks in the floor but there was not way I was going to hone each side of the brick to make it fit perfectly. All in all I am pretty happy, there are two bricks in there that have a hole underneath and a hole drilled into the brick so I can insert a thermocouple - If I get round to it.

The black mortar looking stuf is where I used some refractory mortar to stick the little bits of brick like the little triangular piece ot the brick next to it so it would behave. I will be adding a border around it to hold it all in place next its all bedded onto a sand/fireclay mix.

cu, Mitch.

Leave a comment:

• MAVANO
    replied

great job outstanding finishing can't wait to see the dome BTW nice catch did you catch the whole family and that one on the bottom is it adopted?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X