Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Start of the restaurant/bakery oven

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
    Nice fire! At what temp does your IR gun max out?
    Mike
    I don't remember exactly but I think in is like 1022 or 1027...
    Thanks
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by Modthyrth View Post
      Beautiful! Your customers are in for a treat!
      thanks Mod
      I hope so...have had some issues that I think my need some repairing...see the "we have a crack thread"
      Best
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Here they are! A few pics of the first pizza out of the restaurant oven!!!
        Notice how I am modeling our bread and pizza!
        Best
        Dutch

Comment

Looks great! Y'all open for business yet? or still in test mode?
          Bonita

Comment

Dutch, that looks great! Man I wish my town had a restaurant like that!
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

Looks good enough to eat!

...nice way to start out the new year!
              Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

We are here in Merida Mexico building our first Wood fire stove and restaurant. I am very interested to see what you are doing with yours. We have an old cement cistern which we are going to use for our facade of the oven and build the oven in the inside of it. We are at the oven floor stage and are excited to get working on it. The rest of restaurant is getting renovated, we bought an old colonial home in the historical centro area of Merida and have been renovating it for the last couple of months. We hope to open up by Feb, can't wait!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojo Vivo View Post
                  We are here in Merida Mexico building our first Wood fire stove and restaurant. I am very interested to see what you are doing with yours. We have an old cement cistern which we are going to use for our facade of the oven and build the oven in the inside of it. We are at the oven floor stage and are excited to get working on it. The rest of restaurant is getting renovated, we bought an old colonial home in the historical centro area of Merida and have been renovating it for the last couple of months. We hope to open up by Feb, can't wait!!!
                  We are excited for you also! Have you insulated the floor? If so with what? That is probably the MOST important decision you will make with regard to your oven. Inside a cistern, that is truly an interesting oven build!!!
                  All the best!
                  Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by SpringJim View Post
                    Looks good enough to eat!

...nice way to start out the new year!
                    Jim, Mike, Bonita and everyone
                    Thanks for the kind comments! We are excited and happy that we were able to share in this project. Looks like we will kick off the New Year in the right way as it seems we will be doing pizzas again tomorrow. We are trying to fire the oven everyday we are working over there and even some of the days we aren't to really "season" it for how it will be working in the end! The pizzas last night were sadly not our best specimens due to a new oven, learning the new oven, etc. But it was absolutely still better than anything that can be bought within a few hundred miles I suppose. And it will only get better with time!
                    Happy New Year to all!!!
                    Best
                    Dutch

Comment

Hey Dutch, I was so distracted with your cool flame designs and so on, that I completely missed the bit about this being the start up of a new business... somehow I thought you were building the oven or someone else.

So I just re-read the entire thread... what a cool project! And what a lovely old building for it, too. I can just imagine that you would be very excited.

When do you plan on being open for business? So then you'll be making pizza at lunch time and baking bread in the aternoons for the next day? Or pizza for lunch and dinner and bake the next morning? Fascinating. This is just so cool!
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
                        We are excited for you also! Have you insulated the floor? If so with what? That is probably the MOST important decision you will make with regard to your oven. Inside a cistern, that is truly an interesting oven build!!!
                        All the best!
                        Dutch
                        Hi Dutch, "Feliz Ano Neuvo"!!
                        We have insulated the floor, we used a 5-1 of perilite and cement and poured it 4" thick. Today we are laying the bricks for the oven floor and starting the dome, we are very excited to work on it and see it all done. When we bought this colonial building it had this huge cement cistern which someone already turned into a bar so we thought it would be nice to keep it and it's history and build our wood fire stove inside of it. It's a little harder starting with the facade and building inside of it but it should look pretty neat when it's all done!!Is this the first time you have cooked in a Wood fire stove, how do you like it?
                        I thought I would attach a few photos of the cistern and the colonial home we are renovating for our restaurant, it's nice to talk with someone else doing the same thing! Enjoy your pizzas!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                          When do you plan on being open for business? So then you'll be making pizza at lunch time and baking bread in the aternoons for the next day? Or pizza for lunch and dinner and bake the next morning? Fascinating. This is just so cool!
                          Looks like we'll be open in February most likely by Valentine's Day. Also looks like we'll be doing the pizza lunch and dinner(if we do dinner)and baking in the morning! It has been an interesting journey...especially to consider that we have been our own general contractor and for the most part done all of the labor as well(with the exception of plumbing and heating and air conditioning)
                          Thanks!
                          Dutch and Becca

Comment

Originally posted by Rojo Vivo View Post
                            Hi Dutch, "Feliz Ano Neuvo"!!
                            We have insulated the floor, we used a 5-1 of perilite and cement and poured it 4" thick. Today we are laying the bricks for the oven floor and starting the dome, we are very excited to work on it and see it all done. When we bought this colonial building it had this huge cement cistern which someone already turned into a bar so we thought it would be nice to keep it and it's history and build our wood fire stove inside of it. It's a little harder starting with the facade and building inside of it but it should look pretty neat when it's all done!!Is this the first time you have cooked in a Wood fire stove, how do you like it?
                            I thought I would attach a few photos of the cistern and the colonial home we are renovating for our restaurant, it's nice to talk with someone else doing the same thing! Enjoy your pizzas!!
                            Rojo
                            Muchas gracias y Feliz ano Nuevo a ti!
                            I am glad to hear that you have adequately insulated the floor of the oven. I fully understand preserving the interesting aspects of a building. It will present challenges but, speaking from experience 1) it will work out fine and 2) try to pay attention to the next step before you get to it...then you won't find yourself having to remove something you've already built to finish building something else.
                            We are somewhat of what could be called "wood fired veterans" as we have had a WFO in our back yard for almost 4 years. We like the cooking in it very much and have cooked so many different things in it. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions as well as posting them on the forum
                            Good luck!
                            Best
                            Dutch and Becca

Comment

Happy New Year Dutch! Looks great!

so has Brett Favre been in yet?

Comment

Originally posted by FigliodiMariaeGiovanni View Post
                                Happy New Year Dutch! Looks great!

so has Brett Favre been in yet?
                                And the same to you! Hope the rest of the year finds you safe and healthy! Not officially open and no Brett Favre but, I suppose there is a better chance to see someone with the name Manning...being as we're only 30 miles from Ole Miss!
                                All the best!
                                Dutch

Comment

Working...
                                X