The Badger Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Badger Build

I love the play of sun and shade on those pictures, it looks very peaceful and idyllic.

When we have a lot of people over, I've taken to getting everyone to make thier own pizzas while I cook. It works out well and everyone gets to laugh at the others' dough streaching efforts
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Mfiore,

Yes it does wrap around. The stone veneer will go right underneath the overhang.

Thanks
      Dick

Comment

Dick, sorry if I missed this somwhere along the way, but did you powder-coat your door? Or is that some type of hi-temp paint?

Daren
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

Daren,

I just used the black High Heat paint from Lowes - I think it's rated to 900-1000 degrees.

Very happy with the door - still need to put on the gasket around the edge.

Only issue is the door does get hot even with the insulation. It's just heat transfer. Not sure if it was a bad design or just an integral issue. It's almost like you need two types of metal - one that won't conduct heat AND a way to seal the two pieces to avoid fumes of the insulation getting out. I might try to adhere some thin pieces of firebrick to the inside portion.

Dick

Comment

I really like your door also, your whole build came out really nice! How hot does your door get, I have an uncle who has a machine shop and was hoping to incorporate his talents in fabricating one.... I mean I have been using oven mitts anyway during cooking, so I'm alright with the hot issue.
            Thanks in advance
            Dave
            David and Cynthia Manchester

Comment

Dick,

I also love the look of your door. What purpose would it serve to adhere firebrick to the inside surface? Firebrick does not provide any insulation, but rather conducts heat.
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks Dick. I showed some pictures of your door to a local welder and he quoted me $385 plus $75 for a powder coat. So needless to say I started building my own door. I'll have to find a friend who can weld!
                Picasa web album
                Oven-building thread

Comment

My idea for the door was to keep as much heat in as possible.

I think the whole door is slowing heating up (despite the 2" of FB board inside) . My hope was the door would keep all the heat in and not transfer to the outside.

David - Not really sure how hot the outside gets but I can't touch with my bare hand - sorry.

Mfiore - I thought I could put Fire brick on the inside to help hold the heat...

Not really sure what the "optimum" door design is? I guess something like an oven door in your house???

DBHansen - I was very lucky. My shooting buddy of 20 years built it for a bottle of Wild Turkey.

Thanks
                  Dick

Comment

Wild turkey huh..sounds like you got the better end of the barter
                    David and Cynthia Manchester

Comment

Gang,

Still trying to "finish" the oven with the stone veneer and misc items. It's hard making time now that I'm using it. I'd say we cook in it at least once a week. I also became the Den Leader for my son's Tiger Cub Den which has cut into project time. So far my biggest party was 30 - 10" pizzas!

Main reason to post tonight is I found Caputo Type 00 flour for $2.29 for 1000kg. The place where I found another brand now carries it - hopefully it will be a regular item. I bought 12 bags!

Thanks
                      Dick

Comment

I found Caputo Type 00 flour for $2.29 for 1000kg
                        I really shouldn't make fun of people's typos...
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dmum

Got me - sorry, never did learn that metri"K" system. Though 1,000KG would be one heck of a deal.

Thebadger

Comment

• The Badger Build (Stone Veneer)

Gang,

Trying to get the stone veneer and final details done before the 'deep' freeze sets in Ohio. I'll post more pics later and some thoughts on my build when I get the chance.

Thanks
                            Dick

Comment

Lookin good! I think we are all racing the dieing sun on this side of the rock.
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

looks really good. I like the colored concrete deck. I have a similar congregation of things under my oven too!
                                Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Working...
                                X