Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Badger Build

JAG,

It would have been cheaper and a little easier to buy pre mixed BUT I chose the bags. Why? - It allowed me the freedom to do it when I wanted to and since I hadn't worked in concrete I never wanted to order too much OR too little. I think the most I did was 35 bags to fill the cores... 2-3 people using 2 wheelbarrows to get the job done. You can do about 90% of the build yourself - but there are times when you'll need a hand.

Good Luck.
    Dick

Comment

for your hearth it looks like you have 3.5" of perlite, is that 2" of iso board (is that like fire board?) and then your fire brick floor? looks like that should definitely insulate your floor!
      i am in the beginning stage but was only going to do a 2" FB and not a perlite slab, any recomendations from anyone on how you should insulate your floor?
      thx

Comment

Antonio,

I did use 2" of FB board and highly recommend it. You're correct, I did pour about a 3.5" layer of perlite. The main reason is I wanted my overn floor higher than the plans called for. So I thought I would use perlcete instead of concrete.

Good luck.
        Dick

Comment

did you get your FB Board from Forno Bravo or another supplier?, i like the idea for double insulating the floor.. less heat escape problems...happy pizza's!

thanks for the reply! i should be able to post pics soon on my progress

Comment

Antonio,

Yes, I got my board from FB. I think it's the way to go. James doesn't seem to be "taking advantage" of us with his pricing and he's done the research and the materials have a long track record. You can read some "disaster" stories where builders tried to improvise or find other methods.

If you know what to look for great but I had no clue so it was easier getting everything from James.

Good luck.
            Dick

Comment

The project continues...

I took the day off to work on the counter prep area. I bought a cheap refrigerator to put on the right side and then I'll build a cabinet to go on the left side. I still need to put a layer of colored concrete on the backsplash, install my granite slab* and add the stone veneer...

*I posted this question earlier... I'm just planning on putting the granite on top of the concrete layer I poured. It's pretty flat but I'm sure I'll need/want to use a mastic or caulk to help set it in place... What should I use? Regular mortar or some type of tile mastic??? Never done this before.

Thanks
              Dick

Comment

The thinset I've been using for veneer work mentioned granite on the bag, so that's what I used for my counter. Seems to work nicely. I'm using an ultra flexibile thinset rated for indoor or outdoor use.
                Nikki

Comment

Dick,

HD or Lowes sells thinset. For your cold temps they recommend using a Latex additive instead of water to mix it. I went that route and have had zero problems. It's damn pricey compared to water but if it avoids cracking / lifting, it's well worth it.

Les...
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les,

I just installed the counter using megabond from Lowes with a latex base. I purchased the counter about two years ago - even before the oven build and just installed the granite tonight. I still have some finish work on the prep area but it should work out nicely.

Thanks
                    Dick

Comment

Wow, that looks awesome, Dick! The colors go together really well. Nice work.
                      Picasa web album
                      Oven-building thread

Comment

I agree, Dick. Very cool slab of granite!
                        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                        X