The Badger Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Badger Build

Les, I think the real question is...where (and why) did SHE go wrong?
    Sorry buddy, I couldn't resist. It is actually refreshing to see folks recognize their better half. I know that I poke fun and make the usual "guy comments" about my wife from time to time.......but I would be lost without her (25th aniversary was yesterday) I know, what the hell is she thinking?......

RT

Comment

badger,

I WANT THAT DOOR!!! It is exactly what my next effort will be, after the procrastinating ends. GREAT JOB!

RT

Comment

Gang,

Cooked about 6 pizzas on Saturday night.
        Sunday morning the oven was 375 so I made a french toast bake for breafast
        Around noon I made 4 loaves of french bread.

48 hours later the oven is still 200+ degrees.

Here's a pic of the door and I'm starting to build forms around the oven for the concrete landing - hoping to pour colored concrete this saturday.

Thanks
        Dick

Comment

Great! I've been waiting to see how your landing turned out. It sounded great when you discussed it early in your plans.
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by thebadger View Post

48 hours later the oven is still 200+ degrees.
            Yeah, Baby!! 48 hours later and you are ready to throw in a pork shoulder. Now THAT's and OVEN!
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

• Concrete Landing Question

Question,

When pouring concrete to the front edge of the brick hearth should I put something between the brick and the concrete? Not sure about expansion that far out. If so, what? I'm thinking it's not necessary but wanted to check.

I do plan to put a thin bead of caulk around the edge where the concrete meets the oven.

Thanks
              Dick

Comment

Dick,

I would play it safe and put something there. The expansion joint material they have for sidewalks / driveways would be butt ugly. I think I would drop in some foam, like you would use for packing items -it comes in around 1/8 inch. After the pour, you could easily melt it back for the caulking.

Just my two cents...

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

• The Badger Build (Poured the oven landing)

Gang,

Poured the oven landing Saturday. My neighbor who works in the concrete business brought home the edger and helped me out...

2 1/2 hours
                  4 bags of 80 lb and 1 "Buff" Quikcrete colorant per bag.
                  I did leave a gap between the brick and the concrete for expansion
                  I used the blue painters tape to keep everything level - worked great
                  We went with a rough texture for ease and "to keep beers from sliding off"

Overall I'm happy and more importantly the boss is happy as well. We really like the contrast between the cream color dome and the landing.

Thanks
                  Dick

I'll post pictures again once I take the forms off.

Comment

Dick,
                    Again, Looks Great! More that anything, I really appreciate the fine work your wife did on the shape of the dome. Just went through that (still going throught that ) - not easy. Looks like you guy's nailed it. You're right about the contrast in color - good match.

Les...

Comment

Dick, very cool. I can't wait for you to pull the forms to see how this turns out!
                      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

Nice job!!

For what it's worth, I didn't leave a gap between my concrete and the vent floor bricks. My floor is unmortared so I think there are enough gaps to handle any expansion. So far no problems!
                        Ken H. - Kentucky
                        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Looks really good. I like the colors together. I'm still putting vermiculite concrete on my dome! Slow work with all the other things going on around here at the moment..
                          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

• The Badger Build (forms off of the landing)

Gang,

Took the forms off around the landing. Still have some clean up and then to the stone veneer around the base.

We had a Labor Day pizza party with about 15 adults and 6 kids. We cooked 12 pizzas and two dessert pizzas.

Still getting the hang of hosting. What we?ve been doing is we make the dough and then we ask everyone to bring sauce, toppings and cheese. We then make a variety of pizzas for everyone to share.

One thing I?ve discovered is you have to have two people on pizza detail ? one to ?man? the oven and one to make the pizzas? it?s definitely a two person job when you host a large number of people. As I mentioned before I teach my neighbors how to work the peel which helps me out a lot?

Thanks
                            Dick
                            thebadger

Comment

Congrats Dick! The labor of love is paying off. Lookin good...

Les..

Comment

I really like the wrap around landing. I'm going to put that into my "idea" file. Does it go all the way around the back side too?
                                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                                My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X