The Badger Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Badger Build

Canuk Jim posted a nice explaination of how to attach the duravent anchor plate a couple of months ago. It wasn't how I did it, so I just scanned it. I'd do a search for it though. He builds ovens and bakes bread. I'd take his word for it.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Nice Job. As I am just getting stated, you are all an inspiration to me and all the newbie?s. I hope I can do as well as all that went before me.

Comment

Thanks George.

I'm pretty happy except for the inside top of the dome (last 5 rows). It' really looks bad with the "oozing" mortar...

As I fill in the gaps any issues with me "spreading" some HS50 on the inside of the dome (top only) to make it looks "consistant" or like I planned to do it that way???

I know, I know I'm a little anal

Thanks
        Dick

Comment

Dick, any photos from the inside?
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Mfiore,

It's bad, real bad. But I'll post to show others what to be careful of. I think my mistakes were 1) not realizing how much mortar was oozing out and 2) thinking I could "scrape" off the mortar the next day once I took out the sand. (The little specs are pieces of sand imbedded in the mortar - tried to scrape it off). Hey - it already looks like one of those ancient ovens pictured

All good plans...

Net, I don't think it will impact anything - I hope - just looks like crap. I still need to fill in the voids - hence my thought to put a "light coating" of HS to make it all look consistent - ANY ISSUES???. I'm pretty happy with my first 5 rows. The only saving grace is when you just "look" in the oven you just see the good part.

Now, I'm trying to figure out this whole arch/vent/chimney thing.

Dick

Comment

My Old Kentucky Dome thread will show you the way. Ken documented the arch very nicely.

I'd make sure that you fill in any gaps between the bricks in the top portion of the dome. No extra points for pretty brickwork around here. There are some good sized mortar joints in the top, so when you get around to curing the oven, use a blanket and remove it after you've completed the curing fires to check for any cracks etc. You can easily repair them before moving on to the final finish of the oven.
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I think once you fill the cracks, it'll look good!

The mortar has oozed nicely into dome-shape... so you can always say you put the mortar there on purpose to keep the surface smooth. You know, because the bricks get irregular in the upper rows...

Seriously, it looks great. I thought it would be far worse from your description
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Looks good to me Badger...I'd eat a pizza out of it!
                  "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

The Badger Build (Working on the front landing/Arch)

Gang,

I've started on the vent landing and the front arch. I'm pretty happy - at least a lot happier with my work than I was with my interior dome work. I did fill in the gaps with mortar on the inside of the dome. I'm a pretty big guy but I was able get my head and "one" arm in the oven. I'm sure my wife will be posting it on you tube

Saturday was my bday - and my wife/family went together and bought me the 5 piece FB peel kit!!!!

Plus (as I mentioned in a separate post) my mother-in-law picked me up some evoo on a recent trip to Italy and some "Farina type 00" flour from our local specialty grocery store.

Thanks
                    Dick
                    Last edited by thebadger; 05-22-2008, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Hey Dick,

Your dome looks great. Don't give it another worry (and definitely don't put a coat of HeatStop on it!).

The thing about those last few courses in the dome that I recently discovered is that once the oven is completely finished (covering materials, etc) you and your adoring fans will have to crane your neck in an uncomfortable position to see the top of it. Now that I've added my raised landing, I can't see my super cool keystone without crawling in the darn thing!
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Re: The Badger Build (Working on the front landing/Arch)

Originally posted by thebadger View Post
                        I've started on the vent landing and the front arch.
                        That's beautiful work... Guys should start referring to your build to see how an arch should go up.
                        Ken H. - Kentucky
                        42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken,

Thanks - that a huge compliment coming from you. Your oven was truly a work of art! - I didn't add any more HS to the outside of dome. When I filled in the joints on the inside it was impossible to "clean" the mortar off due to the "dried" mortar on the brick facing so the top courses got a light coating when I filled everything in... It almost looks like it was "cast" vs individual bricks now.

Dick

Comment

Ok... I thought you meant you wanted to add a coat of HS to the inside of the dome. I definitely wouldn't do that. Outside is optional. I left mine clean.
                            Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken

Oops "done" There is HS on the inside top...

Didn't really mean to but when I was filling in the inside joints with HS I was having too much trouble getting the mortar off of the brick facings since it was so rough and even. If it's a problem - don't tell me as I don't know how I can get the stuff off.

Dick

Comment

The Badger Build (Front Arch)

Update,

Regarding the HS on the interior dome top - Sounds like 1) don't do it 2) it shouldn't be too much of a problem - maybe just some flaking. I'll let everyone know if I experience any issues.

I took the day off but the weather turned bad however I did manage to get the front arch done. I also picked up some more HS (I'm going through a lot of HS) and some bricks for the outer arch like George did (these are housebricks that will be exposed to the elements).

I'm hoping to finish the arch/vent this weekend. I need to install ~8 feet of chimney due to my pergola so I'm thinking about adding another row of bricks to the outer side of the landing for extra support.

Thanks
                                Dick

Comment

Working...
                                X