Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casa 90 corner build (and outdoor kitchen) begins....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the material filling the joint between your oven floor and outer arch?

Comment

I suggest doing a search on heat breaks and look at all the various options and pick and choose which ones work best for you. As far as my floor heat break I used a thin wall SS rectangular tube filled with left over CaSi board.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I used a pice of ceramic rope and then stuffed it with ash on top of it.

Randy

Comment

Alright, I think I have a grip on this after looking at your pictures and reading some other heat break threads.

I've come up with two plans. This is a side view of each.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat Break.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	386747

The first uses high heat mortar (that came with my casa oven) over a piece of insulating board. The mortar would help me get a nice continuous smooth surface between my concrete landing and oven floor.

The second uses the insulating board and then a small air gap (maybe 1/4" ?).

My primary goal here is safety. I want my landing out in front of the oven to be cool enough to touch. I have little kids running around in a small space. I don't want anyone getting burned. To be clear, when I say "landing" I'm talking about the grey concrete counter that you see in this picture:

Name:	wfo landing.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	488.7 KB
ID:	386632

That concrete counter will abut my oven floor as seen in my 2 heat break diagrams above. So all that being said, which of the two designs would be best for keeping my concrete landing cool?
          Last edited by terdferguson; 03-28-2016, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by terdferguson View Post
            What is the material filling the joint between your oven floor and outer arch?
            I use some ceramic blanket and then to seal it off stuff some 5:1 vermicrete over it for a depth of around 8 mm.

Your first drawing does not allow for any expansion and heat will still conduct through the high heat mortar. In the second drawing There is provision for expansion provided the insulating board you've used can be compressed somewhat.
            Last edited by david s; 03-28-2016, 02:15 PM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I figured that high heat mortar supplied with my oven was probably good for expansion and contraction since it was meant to go in the seams where my 3 oven pieces come together.

David S, with your setup, what temperature do you see on the floor of your outer arch (on the cool side of your vermicrete filled heat break)?

Comment

Hey Randy, that gap looks tiny that you are stuffing that ceramic rope into! How wide was that? And you topped it with ash from one of your fires?

Comment

The gap was 1\4"wide. I used 5\16" ceramic rope to fill the gap. And yes the fill on top was just ash from one of the fires. It seams to work pretty good. The front lip on my oven never seams very warm. But that I think is more from the cool air flowing over it in to the oven.

Randy

Comment

That's great Randy. I think I'll somewhat copy what you've done. I'm going to have a lip built with my concrete counter and under the lip I'll put ceramic board or blanket. Then have a small air gap filled with the rope and ash. I think this will be a winner. I only have about 7" of counter from were it meets the oven floor to the counter edge. That's not a lot, so the more I can isolate it from the heat the better.

Name:	HeatBreak2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	386745
                    Attached Files

Comment

What temps should I expect right at that spot where my concrete counter runs up to the front edge of the oven floor? My concrete guy that is fabricating the counter is going to seal the concrete. He wants to make sure the sealer he selects can withstand the temperatures of that location. I told him probably 300-400 right there, but I'm not certain.

Comment

does your concrete landing come into the vent of the oven? So you only have firebricks in the floor of the oven, the 'mouth' is just concrete?

Comment

No it doesn't. I have the casa2g90. It came with firebrick for the oven floor and the vent area. So my concrete will abut the firebrick at the front of the vent area. Here's a picture of my oven:

Name:	IMG_3483.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	386746

The concrete will come right up to the floor edge you see in the picture.

Comment

Anybody? I really need to have an idea about temps right where my concrete counter meets the mouth of the oven for selecting this sealer.

Comment

It all kinda depends on what you are doing. Cooking pizzas I don't think it will be all that hot. If you are using a tuskin grill it might get pretty hot. I don't remember having trouble touching the counter when the oven is warm.

Comment

Originally posted by terdferguson View Post
                                Anybody? I really need to have an idea about temps right where my concrete counter meets the mouth of the oven for selecting this sealer.
                                Not very. I have a similar design. Vent floor is soapstone, not firebrick - but not sure that really makes a difference. I have a concrete landing in front of the vent that butts right up against the vent floor. The temp of the concrete is maybe high hundreds at worst. There is a lot of mass in the landing to absorb what little heat gets to it. So it dissapates pretty quickly
                                My build progress
                                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                                X