No announcement yet.

New build - 1.2M dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly question: I've put two layers (4" total) of blanket over the dome. What do I do with the vent arches / chimney stack?

I know it's not so much a case of retaining heat but presumably the bricks would prefer a little insulation to reduce the temperature differential?

Edit: I'll be doing an igloo style finish rather than a full enclosure if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by jonv; 12-15-2016, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      I too am warming up to the surpentine. Like Russell, I would incorporate it in to any future build... .
      Ditto for me on the smooth transition flow of the serpentine style smoke collection chamber into the flue...great job on this!

As to your question of insulation...You've got a thermal break around the oven entry (at least that's how I read it), so insulating out as far as the break is all that's needed (IMHO ). The outside vent arch and chimney will have a pretty good air flow through them during normal firings/operation and won't heat up anywhere near as much as the oven chamber itself. Heat shock of the outer arch and chimney bricks isn't a significant problem whether they are insulated or not. That's one of the main advantages of using firebricks and refractory mortar in the build...they can take the heat of repeated firing cycles with little to no damage!

Looking forward to the continuation of your work on this in 2017. Happy Holidays!

Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• OK, thanks for that. I thought that might be the case.

I had intended to cover it all but somehow underestimated how much insulation the dome would take. I used the best part of four boxes (0.6M x 3.66M) leaving little for the chimney. I have a few small bits left and wondered about sticking on some of my calsil scrap to the flat surfaces. With that and the remaining blanket I could probably stick 2" on it.

And Happy Holidays to you too
        Last edited by jonv; 12-15-2016, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Save what you have left for your door. It will be a better use than on the chimney.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• I have a whole sheet reserved for the door

Comment

• We liked the look of the brick arches so we didn't add any insulation. Hopefully the heat break will keep the arch from bleeding heat away from the oven.
              My build thread
              https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• The brickwork does look nice, but my patio roof, when I get round to building it, will only get so close to the oven that I can secure the flue to it with a bracket. So I need to cover the exposed brickwork anyway. Thinking I'll provide an outer skin of brick around the whole chimney, with a decorative arch at the front.

Comment

• Well I guess I've actually finished the oven. Can't quite believe it. Loads of work still to do on the external cladding of both oven and stand, but the oven itself is done, providing nothing disastrous happens during curing

Many thanks to those folks who have helped me along the way, whether directly or by providing their build threads for folk like me to study

I got the floor set in the entry, fitted the stainless threshold, and finished the insulation. Also fitted the stainless twin wall flue - I have a taller section to use when the patio roof is in place but the short tube should be fine for now. I'm in the middle of constructing a temporary cover that will keep the weather off and allow me to move the party tent away and start the curing fires. Then I'll knock up some peels and other oven tools. After that I'll take break from it until mid January

Comment

• A bit of metal work today. They're a bit agricultural but hopefully they'll get me started

Thinking of hi-temp paint for the handles and I'll burn some olive oil on the blades to help keep rust away and give a reasonably non-stick finish. Quicker, easier, and cheaper to make from mild steel but at some point, once I'm happy with the size and shape, I would like to make a set of stainless tools.

Comment

• NIce! What gauge steel did you use for the sheet and tube, if you don't mind me asking?
                      My build thread

Comment

• I used 1.5mm for sheet and tube. I wasn't sure what would be needed - could perhaps have used something lighter. The peel is 15" wide so with a long handle is quite heavy. I'll see what it's like with a pizza on the end and whether I can slim it down.

Comment

• Thanks. I was able to pick up a lightweight aluminum peel with wooden handle (about $14) that I use for turning and removing pizza, but need steel for fire management tools. I have some 16 gauge steel left over from my outer door skin (1.3mm) that I may use to copy your coal rake.
                          My build thread

Comment

• I have an aluminium peel like that with a short handle that I've used in my normal oven and I did wonder about just sticking a longer handle on it.

I forgot about the rake - I used some 3mm flat bar for that. Bent to the radius of the dome.

Comment

• I made mine after a design that navyintel found in an 18th century French encyclopedia of oven tools. Rooker-what was old is now new . A straight blade alows for 100% contact with the floor, no matter the angle that the rake (rooker) is held.

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Nice. I've got plenty of steel here so I can make another shape if need be.

Comment

Working...
                                X