No announcement yet.

New build - 1.2M dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks! I got the idea for reversing the arch bricks for the vent from your build

I haven't decided yet how I'll cut the remaining bricks. Concave curves are not nice! You made a real good job of those.

Comment

• BTW what sort of bolts did you use for the anchor plate?

Comment

• The curves were really easy to cut - I just traced the curve on both sides of the bricks and did the cut - had to come from both sides due to the blade curvature (try it and you'll know what I mean). Then I just smoothed off the curve with a masonry blade in my angle grinder. The grinder works really well at removing material and giving a pretty smooth surface.
        For bolts I used 1/4 inch stainless steel and through bolted as shown in the link below. I did not want to use inserts for fear of breaking a brick so went the thru bolt approach. I worked at Boeing for 36 years and was a fastener engineer so I guess you go with what you know . Lots of builds have used inserts though, but I was pretty pleased with how mine turned out.

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...812#post386812
        My build thread
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• Meant to throw this pic in too of the through bolts. I drilled oversize holes in the brick and used fender washers so the bolt head would seat flat. I ended up having to slot the holes in the adapter a little as I used a crappy masonry bit and the holes wandered a little. The heads embedded in the mortar nicely and the bricks set like the bolts weren't even there.
          My build thread

Comment

• I wondered about using through bolts. Was a bit worried about bursting a brick otherwise. Might do something similar to yours.

Comment

• Yeah, I also didn't want to pull an insert out after I had the bricks all mortared in. If you go with bolts, I recommend slitting the end like I did so you have something to hold while you are tightening the nuts - the mortar might have done the job but this was a trick I have used a few times in the past. I also snugged the nuts down when I mortared in the bricks so the bolts remained seated, then removed the nuts to install the adapter.
              My build thread

Comment

• Good idea.

Comment

• The main structure of the vent is now in place. I was relieved to get the forms out without too much trouble. The excess mortar came off reasonably well. There are a few spots that need a bit of pointing, but glad this bit is done

Now to see about fixing that anchor plate...

Comment

• jon,

Build is turning out quite nice, top notch brick work and precision. Nice use of serpentine chimney vent. If I were to build another I would do this type of vent style as well. I knew when you put up the fancy tent that this was going to be a great build, LOL.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• That is beautiful. I need to bookmark all the things I plan on doing on my next build....here in 5-6 years.
                      --->My Build<---
                      --->My Album<---

Comment

• I too am warming up to the surpentine. Like Russell, I would incorporate it in to any future build. However, I would tie two rows together on bond before attaching an anchor plate. That's just me .
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Originally posted by jonv View Post
                          Thanks! I got the idea for reversing the arch bricks for the vent from your build
                          An idea I also borrowed . That is one of the great things about this forum - people borrowing and sometimes improving on ideas from previous builds. If you go back in forum history you can see how the designs have evolved. I don't know if the new ones cook any better, but they (IMHO) look better and the documentation seems to be getting better.
                          Your brickwork is exemplary - in addition to your mortaring skills I think it benefited by the use of the forms you built. My serpentine arch was built freehand and I had nowhere near the joint control you did! I think you will find your chimney will draft very well - the upward curved edges seem to promote flow well and the transition to the vent plate makes an nice venturi to help get smoke up and out of your oven. The only time I get any smoke out the front is when I start a fire when it is windy, and if I pre-heat the vent well when I light the fire even that can be avoided.

My build thread

Comment

• Thanks chaps for the encouraging remarks

Pretty much got all my ideas from previous builds so I'm grateful for your build threads!

Without the tent I would have had to wait six months to build the dome so I'm glad we had it in the garage. It is truly filthy now though. Brick dust I understand, but how I managed to throw cement up the walls is a mystery A good jet wash should sort it out.

I just about managed to finish the rest of the chimney today - followed JR's approach. Unfortunately it was dark half way through the job and the switch on my work lamp broke. Recruited a couple of desk lamps which were barely enough. I think it's ok - hopefully no horrors when I see it in the daylight

The thick mortar joint at the top is there for the head of the bolts. If I did it again I'd just bore out the bricks below to clear the heads, but it should be fine. Nobody will ever see the chimney stack once the insulation is on there.

Tasks left: jam some rope in the thermal break, set the floor bricks in the vent area and the stainless strip across the threshold, and get the insulation on. Then a bodged up temporary roof and I'm ready to move the tent back and fire her up

Comment

• Well done boss you are doing a first rate job I'm waiting on polishing pads for granite so will do a bit to grill area got xmas shopping to do so may not get anything done this week but my bricks are cut and ready to go so about 3 full days should get me up to chimney height plus a day for decorative arch and a week to clear up like you I've bin angle grinding dust is everywhere.

Comment

• Thanks Bauldy

Do you still reckon on being up and running by the end of the year?

I will still have tons of work to do on the exterior of the job - my base isn't pretty brick like yours so it needs cladding with something. Then there's the landing area to do, brickwork around the chimney, decorative arch, render over the dome, and probably finish with brick slips. But that's a job for next year - a tarp over the dome and a temporary roof will have to do for a while. I want to use it a bit before I enclose it permanently in case any issues arise.

I can imagine the entire dome cracking up and the chimney collapsing - I've got issues in the head department

Comment

Working...
                                X