Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Space in my Backyard.

H

how big are your firebricks? I looked but didn't see them mentioned.

nice building project!

XJ
    Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

XJ
      the floor tiles are 300 x 300
      the bricks in the wall are 110 x 75 x 110 these are cut down from the standard 230 x 75 x 110
      regards
      Mark

Comment

i had a good week end
        i closed over the top and got my front arch up.

Comment

front arch

Comment

Hagrid:
            Just beautiful! The semi circle arch is just outstanding.

I had hard time seeing from earlier pictures, but on your transisition from dome to arch, where you used full bricks, did you cut the full bricks to fit? grind the bricks in arch down? or just use a lot of mortar?
            ------------------------
            "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

Comment

Thank you Craig
              i am pleased with the result. it is not perfect but for a novice i am very happy.
              the move from arch to dome is a mix of progresavliy longer bricks and extra mortar. i tried to make it so all the bricks were sitting on the arch.
              it was all a learning curve parden the pun. now i have to think about the coating.
              regards
              Mark

Comment

Super beautiful entrance, it looks very inviting!
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thank you Frances
                  it has turned out better than i expected.

Comment

Hagrid, another quick question: On your landing you've got two larger red bricks...are those a larger type firebrick? or regular brick?
                    ------------------------
                    "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

Comment

Craig
                      those red bricks are 300 x300mmx50mm fire bricks
                      they are also the ones that cover the entire floor.

Comment

i am have so much to do and so little time.
                        i am marking reports at the moment and i must say i would rather be out working on my oven. oh well best not bitch as i am on term break soon and hope to finish then.
                        Mark

Comment

Mark,

Nice work. As a fellow autumn/winter builder (I just finished my oven) I can appreciate the troubles of short days. Although I was never that cold while putting up my oven and mixing vermiculite by hand.
                          Just think the entrance way of your oven is stunning. I love curves and organic lines (build them into the furniture I make too) and your entrance flows so nicely.
                          I was on a budget too and used 1/3 bricks to make a 75mm thick dome, works pretty well. I knocked the corners off my bricks for the upper chains, just roughly to help reduce the mortar usage a little. Only just found your thread so a little late to help and I cut all my bricks with a bolster and hammer so it was easier to do two more quick blows to take off the corners.
                          Again, Nice Work.
                          Bob/.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2466202...7604958435358/

Comment

well it seems everything is out to slow me down.
                            i got the insulation on and put a wire tie down coat over it.
                            then it started to rain and get very cold it is not what i need to help me render. so i thought i would kill two birds one stone. i lit a fire in oven very small ish and then decided to use heat beads to slowly increase the temp over a long time to dry out oven and warm up for rendering.
                            not sure if i should of but oh well it seemed to work. first day of fire i used 1/2 pack of beads and next day used full pack then next day used pack and half next day lots of wood got pretty hot.
                            in all of these fires it does not seem to cool down much.
                            after last fire i closed the door when it droped to 270c and over the next 24 hrs it droped to 120c not bad when you consider it was still raining on it. by this morning it stoped raining so i have put my first coat of render on. seems okay i will keep the oven going till late to night as it is meant to freeze tonight about -8c. by keeping the oven going i think the oven on will stop the render freezeing.

Comment

i can now see the end in sight
                              this is where i am at so far

Comment

i just need to tile the top edge of the stand and pave the grass area in front of the oven.

Comment

Working...
                                X