Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36" Vancouver Island build

Hi there,

I have been a silent member on this site for a while and thought I would post my progress. Brutal honesty and recommendations welcome!

This project has been a fantastic journey of learning.

I'll try to add it details as I post.

As a disclaimer I have never worked with concrete but I did spend a lot of time studying before I dove in.

Pic 1: dug deep to get to something solid for the base. The chickens were excited about this event...
    Last edited by ubcpsyc; 06-06-2018, 03:13 PM.

We then put down fill and impacted

Comment

I wrote some captions on the photos but here is the base going in

Comment

Cinder blocks going in!

We figured out all the spacing ahead of time. I used graph paper to figure out where to put the rebar.

Comment

Some finishing touches for the back splash

Comment

We spent a lot of time doing the framing for the countertop. I had seen a few where the boards got pushed out during pouring!

Comment

Here is the finished counter top!

Comment

Finally the dome got started. The weather is now better than in December and we can see the view!
                Last edited by ubcpsyc; 06-06-2018, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Looking at how the chimney will fit. (only 6" double walled).

Comment

I ended up using an exercise ball to support the final layers. I covered the outside with refractory concrete to seal any holes and increase the thermal mass (rightly or wrongly!)

Once the key stone was in we removed the ball and thankfully the whole thing didn't collapse..

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Thanks! Still trying to figure out how to get the chimney in!

Comment

found your build thread, indeed you using a metal pipe and not flue liner )
                          it looks like your stand does not allow for very think cladding around the dome. be sure you don't skimp on at least some sort of insulation, ideally blankets, even if it means it will be overhanging. the metal mesh should support the relatively lightweight layer of peri\Vermicrete on top of the blanket.

the view from your yard though... wow.

good luck!
                          Anton.

My 36" - https://community.fornobravo.com/for...t-bg-build-log

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am planning on 3 layer of 1" ceramic blanket followed by 10:1 perliteortland cement. I like your idea of the funnel! I'm going to try and interoperate that idea and will post some pics. Thanks!

Comment

I am planning a build on denman island but having difficulty sourcing ceramic fiber board. Did you have any luck?

Comment

Working...
                              X