No announcement yet.

36" San Antonio Texas Build - Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are looking for materials check out Harbison-Walker. I believe they have an office in Houston. I had a couple of hour round trip to pick up my insulation, but I saved a bundle avoiding shipping costs. Harbison-Walker has a couple of ceramic board and blanket options that might fit your budget.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Great tips, thanks JR. We will see what happens! Already taking notes for my second build. Per your advice I purchased copy of how to build oven on forno bravo site. Great starting info.

Comment

The FB plans are a great baseline and we highly recommend any builder study and research the info before starting their build. It is much easier to fix critical errors on paper or computer (in JRs case) than once the mortar flows. The plans are a little outdated and many innovations have been developed by forum members so use both the plans and forum.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Very much appreciated Utah. So much to learn before the pour.... Why do I have to learn the hard way?! lol.

Besides forno bravo ebook. Do you recommend any other downloadable "how to build" books or "pizza oven recipie" books?

Comment

Holy Crap Utah! I just checked your build link.... Your pizza oven is so awesome! Complete with dragon scales. Everything looks planned and perfected. Great build!

Comment

Remember when I said find a few builds that you want to follow? The two I followed the most (drooled over actually) were the builds by UtahBeehiver and Gulf .Not only are they some of the more well documented and "work of art" ovens you could find, they are both active on the forum and willing to help.
              My build thread
              https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Thanks JR!

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                  If high tech insulation if out of your budget then look at a p or vcrete, 5 to 1 under floor and 8-10 to 1 on dome, min 4" under floor and dome. Usually need to go to a masonry supplier for perlite/vermiculite. relatively cheap. You can get portland at any big box store.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vcrete K values.JPG
Views:	1086
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	420462
                  Would adding more V to make a ratio of 3/1 provide even more insulation? Im looking at your attached chart and looks like the K factor goes up the more V you add. Heck why not use almost all V?

Many thanks, your build is awesome.

Comment

I think you don't understand "K" or thermal transfer. The higher K value equates to higher transfer of heat through the given material. You want a lower K value. Sand in the 3 to 1 formula is one of factors in the high k value.​​
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                      I think you don't understand "K" or thermal transfer. The higher K value equates to higher transfer of heat through the given material. You want a lower K value. Sand in the 3 to 1 formula is one of factors in the high k value.​​
                      Sorry I had it reversed! Thanks for clearing up.

So the reason for a 8-10 to 1 on floor (as recommended for dome) is because will not be strong enough to handle weight?

Comment

Working...
                      X