Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hansen Horno

very nice! The bread looks great.

the door looks good too. That's sort of what I imagine mine will look like as well. I'm still trying to figure out how to make handles that will allow me to rock the door back and let air in the bottom and direct the smoke up the flue. My oven fires a lot better that way, as I expect most do. Not as cool to look at, but function does matter! Or so the man who cuts all the wood says..
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Daren, that's some fine looking bread! Beautiful baguettes.
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks Mike! And Elizabeth, I'm anxious to see what you come up with. My primary concern with this door was to create maximum heat retention. Before sealing up the door, perhaps I should have thought about adding some angle brackets near the handles so the door could be rocked back and have something to rest on at an angle. Not sure if that would work or fit, but I think others have taken that approach.
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

I'm thinking of making the angle brackets BE the handles- I just have to figure out how to make them. Bending metal isn't my thing, so I'll have to go look at the mega store to see what's there.
          Elizabeth

Comment

I've been fiddling with the door for two days now. I think I have achieved a door, but not one like I'd hoped for. I guess this one will do for now. I'll have to work on the design a bit- I haven't figured out how to get the door to rock back AND leave an air gap underneath. So, for now, I'll have to raise it up on something to get that gap.

I measured and fit and cut yesterday to get the inner side of the door to fit into the arch properly, and I swear, once I got it all together, it wouldn't go in the hole! Many rude words ensued. If I actually got the piece in the hole yesterday, why on earth wouldn't the same piece go in the same hole today?

The door is also rather heavier than I was anticipating, for some reason. I guess I don't have to worry about it blowing away!

I'll be working on my design all winter I think, trying to figure out how to get what I want for a final product. Maybe I'll take a welding class. Seems to be a handy skill!
            Elizabeth

Comment

Reveal at the top question.

Hey Darren, really nice oven! I've just re-read your entire thread and you've got loads of great info on it that will be really helpful.

I was looking at your pics on the 1/2" (or close to it) reveal you have on the side arches. You did not seem to carry that reveal along the top of the arch. Other peoples pics show the same thing: only a reveal on the side walls. Is this working out OK for you and others? Does it seal adequately? Or should I TRY to build a top-arch reveal too?
              T
              hanks, Dino
              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Hi Dino,
                Sorry for the delay. Yes, there is a "reveal" of sorts along the top too. So the door presses up against a reveal on both sides and along the whole arched top. However, the "reveal" at the top is really just the front side of the inner arch. So instead of it being only 1/2", it's the entire width of the inner arch (6" or so).

In other words, wherever you put your side reveals, the inner arch should grow from there and continue that "surface" for the door to rest against.

I hope that makes sense, and thanks for the compliments!

Daren
                Picasa web album
                Oven-building thread

Comment

Thanks Daren, I've got plenty of time, I've just poured my foundation and am stacking 16" cmu so your answer timing is great.

But I've another question for you: It appears your walls between your 2 arches (the landing) are 1 9" brick long at a slight open angle. As you carried the 1 brick length up to the vent opening, you cut off half of it for your opening along the top then added transition pieces above (quite nicely) to the vent.

Did you transition to an 8" duravent? And how is that working? Is that half width brick opening along the top drawing the smoke out well? I'm thinking of making the landing 1-1/2 or 1-1/3 bricks deep for more square inches of flu-void but if your setup works well I might stay with that. Why make things harder if it's not needed.

Thanks, Dino
                  "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                  http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Yes, it transitions to an 8" duravent. I basically followed Ken's method (see the "My Old Kentucky Dome" thread). Unfortunately, it does not draw as well as I'd like. My feeling is that the problem lies with the fact that the bottom edge of the outer arch is set about 1" higher than the bottom of the inner arch, so the smoke can escape out the front. If I had to do it over again, I'd set the outer arch lower than it is. But I bet your idea of a longer landing area would work too.
                    Picasa web album
                    Oven-building thread

Comment

Daren,
                      I'm intrigued. Why did you lay block for the foundation wall? Why not forms, rebar, and a pour? John

Comment

Originally posted by John.Halder View Post
                        Why did you lay block for the foundation wall? Why not forms, rebar, and a pour? John
                        Just personal preference, I guess, and someone I trust suggested doing it that way. I had thought about pouring the walls, but I don't think I investigated it much. Building the wall was kinda fun, and gave me some good experience for the oven. Pouring it would undoubtedly be much stronger and easier.
                        Picasa web album
                        Oven-building thread

Comment

Finally making some progress after a long winter. I framed up the walls and roof with metal studs and added Hardiebacker. The recessed blue box is for accesing my thermocouples. You can also see some Romex for (hopefully) recessed lights on the underside of the gable, pointing at the landing. (Does anyone know a source for recessed lights that would fit in that thin roof?)

As others have said, the metal studs are easy to work with. I was tempted to buy a reciprocating saw but did it all with hand shears instead.

The roof is about a 30-degree angle. In hindsight, I might have made it a little shallower so the 8' studs I used for the trusses would have reached a little further out on the side (i.e., larger soffits).

Daren
                          Picasa web album
                          Oven-building thread

Comment

Daren,

Way to get back into it! Looks like great progress this weekend. The roof looks good, with a nice balance. I'm surprised it's 30 degrees. Looks steeper. I guess that just shows how the eyes can be deceiving. I like the idea of lighting. I'm looking forward to how it turns out for you.
                            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                            My oven build thread

Comment

Added Hardiebacker sheathing on the roof and decided on a square frame around the chimney. Also put a vent on the back, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

I can't seal up the front and fill it with vermiculite until I get the landing done. The next step is adding a decorative arch, then raising the landing up by 2" or so, probably with concrete.

In the 4th picture you can see that I extended our stone patio up to the oven. Tried growing grass in front of it but all I grew was tired of the mud!

Daren
                              Picasa web album
                              Oven-building thread

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                                I'm surprised it's 30 degrees. Looks steeper.
                                Okay, you caught me - it's actually 32 degrees. You have a good eye!
                                Picasa web album
                                Oven-building thread

Comment

Working...
                                X