• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hansen Horno

Originally posted by dbhansen View Post
    I'm not sure if many people are following this build anymore
    Hey, of course we are!

Roof, hmmm. I think both light or dark would work, and personally I think I'd select something "organic" looking i.e. not factory produced to go with the nice natural stone you've got there. Maybe see what else you could come up with in the way of salvaged products without pinning yourself down on slate (which would of course also be very cool).

Around here you can sometimes find really nice old brick corloured roof tiles which I think would look really good on your oven, but I don't know if they have anything like that where you are. I'm sure it'll look great, whatever you come up with!
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I just checked out those tiles you linked - they look nice! You wouldn't think they're concrete a all.
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

Comment

Thanks for comments and ideas! The only reason I'm even considering copper is that a local roofing contractor said that, for the 60 square feet of roof I have, the cost difference between slate, fake slate, copper, concrete tiles, etc., is "minimal." I find that a little hard to believe, but maybe that's the case. Yes, I'm going to get an estimate to have it done professionally, because I don't trust myself to get the weather sealing right. They said they have enough "scrap" slate for the job, if I want. But if the cost is astronomical, I guess I'll learn how to do it myself!

Originally posted by Frances View Post
        I just checked out those tiles you linked - they look nice!
        I really like the Vande Hey Raleigh tiles, and the manufacturer is about 3 miles from my house! Of course, they don't sell to individuals , but maybe their tiles will be cheaper around here. Or perhaps some 'dumpster diving' is in order....

In any event, I need to get the landing and decorative arch done before I decide on the roof. Maybe that will help me pick the color. Thanks again!
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

Maybe see what else you could come up with in the way of salvaged products without pinning yourself down on slate (which would of course also be very cool).
          That's a good idea, Frances, thanks. There's a place down the road that sells salvaged construction materials. I bet they might have something....

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
          How else am I going to know what to do next??
          You're crazy, Mike! The tables could just as easily be turned, my friend.

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
          What are you planning for the top half of the enclosure?
          Still planning on stucco, but that's another color decision to be made. At least it will be easy to change the color if we mess up!

Daren
          Last edited by dbhansen; 07-20-2009, 08:01 AM.
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

Hey, of course we are!
            Well, you never know, Frances! With the glacial pace at which this enclosure is proceeding, I take no offense at people who unsubscribe. It is rather fun to watch other people's builds evolve slowly over time, though, so I know I'm not alone!

My neighbor came over the other day while I was attaching some stone veneer and he said, "Man, I would NEVER have the patience for that!" It's definitely a labor of love.
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread

Comment

Here are a couple of pics of the grout (Type S mortar) added to the stone veneer, to fill in the spaces between stones. The stonework is officially done! I probably should have left a more uniform space in between the stones, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. I used a 3/8" brick tuck-pointing tool to tuck-point it. Cleaning the excess mortar off the stone surface was the hardest part, but it only took a few hours overall.

Daren
              Picasa web album
              Oven-building thread

Comment

Daren, your stone veneer colours are fantastic. I see pinks and light purple or burgundy with the greens and blues. I vote for a dark grey to very light black roof or even a slate with some greenish colors in it.

But...I honestly was born without the ID genes (interior design) and for some odd reason, I missed the FA gene (flower arranging) too (really wish I had both)

But really, after looking at everyones finished oven pics, I'm surprised at how nice they all look wether they mix stones, colors and materials or keep everything "monolitic" and basic. You've already got such a nice base going that I can't wait to see your other oven enclosure and roof choices.
                Your thread and web album log is always fun watch. thanks, Dino
                Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 07-21-2009, 10:56 PM.
                "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Darren,

It looks great... I am going to have to make a trip up to pay tribute to your mad skills.

Peter
                  Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Thanks Dino and Peter, but please, I'm just learning as I go along! Like most people, I suppose. But you're right Dino, they all seem to turn out pretty nice, warts and all.
                    Picasa web album
                    Oven-building thread

Comment

Daren,

You did a great job with the stone "jigsaw" puzzle. It really came together great.

A few questions.

Did you use an additive to the mortar to make it "stickier"?

Are the stone's "sticky" enough to try going from top to bottom to avoid dripping mortar on those already installed?

Did you start right on the cement foundation, or leave an inch or two at the bottom (I've seen different recommendations from different manufacturers"?

Thanks again. Looking forward to your roof!
                      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks Mike! Yes, I painted the blocks with a Quikrete adhesive product, based on the instructions from the stone supplier. I also tried some of the adhesive that you add to the mortar (looked like the same milky-white liquid), but it didn't seem to make applying them any easier.

The stones were fairly "sticky" once I pressed them into place, but then I braced them with sticks and boards for a few hours (minimum) just in case. I learned my lesson early after a few stones fell off. Because there's a gap between stones, there's no advantage to applying them from bottom to top, so I think it would work out much better to go from top to bottom. And you can cut the bottom edge and no one will see it.

I did start right on the foundation. I didn't see any advice on that from the supplier, so I hope I did it right! I laid them in a bed of mortar and tuck-pointed the joint.

That's another case where I wish I knew more about masonry and its interaction with water/snow/freezing, because there are several aspects to this project that make me really nervous. If the mortar soaks up rain and then it freezes, could the stones crack off? I also regret not sealing my foundation wall with tar, because I'm nervous about that cracking after it soaks up water and freezes. I guess I'll find out!
                        Picasa web album
                        Oven-building thread

Comment

I'm sure you'll be fine. If that were a major issue it'd be in the oven plans by now, right?

Any chance of a pic of the grouted wall from a distance (while we're waiting for you to finish the roof etc)?

Comment

I'm going to install a 2" polished concrete shelf on top of my cantilever, and here's a picture of how I prepared the surface (the shelf was poured offsite and will be laid in place). I wanted a slope for runoff, so I used a strip of 3/8" Hardiebacker as a shim and added fireclay to fill the void, and I'm thinking of using some type of adhesive on the front edge. Anyone see potential problems with this idea? I'll probably use mortar to seal the short edges.

The 2 small squares of cement board by the oven opening are just there to show where the wallboard will be placed once the shelf is in.

I did start another thread on this, to get input on the shim: Link
                            Picasa web album
                            Oven-building thread

Comment

Frances, here are some pics of the completed stone veneer. I recommend spacing them a little farther apart than I did, but it's a personal preference I guess. Once the grout has had time to cure, I'll probably seal the stones with a product called "Prosoco Stone Enhancer," which will really bring out the color (and help preserve it). I also possibly should NOT have used those big triangular corner stones; they're a little too big for a small surface area like this.

Daren
                              Picasa web album
                              Oven-building thread

Comment

Daren, I think the walls look awesome. I see no problems with the big Nevada shaped stones. Again, nice work!
                                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                                My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X