Hansen Horno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hansen Horno

Daren, a few questions about the steel framing. What did you use to tie the roof framing to the wall studs? Did you use Tapcon screws to secure to the concrete slab? What size?

Did you find a thermocouple reader that will read all three probes? Does it fit in a standard electrical box?
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
      What did you use to tie the roof framing to the wall studs?
      I used some small 90-degree angle brackets from Home Depot, one on each end of each truss, with 4 screws into each. They seem to hold it pretty well.
      Did you use Tapcon screws to secure to the concrete slab? What size?
      No, but I wish I had! I used these "bolts" that the stud retailer recommended, but one of them created a hairline crack in my slab. They're like threadless bolts that you pre-drill and then hammer in. They hold really tight, but I wasn't thinking when I used them. They generate a lot of pressure.
      Did you find a thermocouple reader that will read all three probes?
      No, I just have the three probe wires coming into that box, and I'll just plug them into my handheld reader when I want a reading. I don't think I'll spring for a built-in reader, yet.
      Last edited by dbhansen; 05-29-2009, 11:55 AM.
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

My oven's about the same size/design as yours. How much vermiculite do you think you'll use to fill the enclosure?
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

My oven's about the same size/design as yours. How much vermiculite do you think you'll use to fill the enclosure?
          Waaaaaay more than I thought! I think I put in about 7 large bags already, just in the back section, and I must need about 10-12 more (@ $10/ea.). I regret that I didn't try harder to make the void smaller. I blocked one corner, but should have put more thought into that part.
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

Started adding the rock exterior. It's from a quarry about 45 minutes from my house. It will take me a while to complete this puzzle! I started on the wall facing my neighbor's house, so they'll have to stare at my test wall -- forever!
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread

Comment

Looks great, Daren! That's going to finish off really nicely. I like integrating the local stone!
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

Daren, what did you end up using for the loose fill? Did you get the stuff from Menards?(you mentioned that last fall) Does it seem to be the right stuff?
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

Daren, what did you end up using for the loose fill? Did you get the stuff from Menards?(you mentioned that last fall) Does it seem to be the right stuff?
                  Yes, I used the Menards loose-fill vermiculite. It does seem like the right stuff. I was concerned at first that it was too fine-grained, but the bags I bought earlier this year had a larger grain, appearing similar to what others have used. I have more to buy once I finish the front off, but my oven is definitely retaining heat better!
                  Picasa web album
                  Oven-building thread

Comment

A little more progress to report, finally. I finished applying the stone veneer, except for the grout. That was a hard 100-piece puzzle! Word of advice if you do something similar: start from the top and work down, to avoid spilling mortar onto the lower stones. It was a real pain to have to clean that stuff off after each stone!

Next comes the decorative arch and raising up the height of the cantilever. At this rate, I'm hoping to get done this year!

Daren
                    Picasa web album
                    Oven-building thread

Comment

Daren,

The stone work is outstanding. I really like how it's turning out. Aren't you sick of that big tarp?? I can't wait to be done covering the oven every night!
                      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks Mike! Absolutely can't wait to get rid of that tarp.
                        Picasa web album
                        Oven-building thread

Comment

I'm not sure if many people are following this build anymore, but I'd love to hear any opinions on a roof color/type/style that would blend well with this enclosure as it stands today. I have very little artistic sense. We were thinking of natural or concrete slate or something similarly dark, or perhaps copper. Or slate with copper flashing. Should I try to match the coloring of the stone veneer? Thoughts would be appreciated!
                          Last edited by dbhansen; 07-17-2009, 01:45 PM.
                          Picasa web album
                          Oven-building thread

Comment

I think any of the options you mentioned would look gorgeous. Copper, unfortunately, is very expensive. That's the only reason I didn't choose it for my own build. Of the ideas you mentioned, I particularly like the idea of slate with copper flashing to bring a touch of that regional resource into the design.
                            Nikki

Comment

I love old slate. You can often buy used slates at architectural salvage places, and ebay often has a pile of them. It has character that the pseudo-slates just don't have. It also makes a good wall covering, if you're not planning to take your stone up the enclosure. And, as you mention, copper flashing really sets it off. More traditional is lead flashing, which you can often buy used from scrap metal places.
                              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dbhansen View Post
                                I'm not sure if many people are following this build anymore,
                                I'm following your build with tremendous anticipation!! How else am I going to know what to do next?? I'm right behind you this entire time!

What are you planning for the top half of the enclosure?

I agree with dmun, natural slate and copper look awesome. I'm finding them to really quite expensive, though. Even salvaged slate. I'm trying to read as much as I can about the slate. Seems there is a true art to properly installing them. Same with copper flashing.

For your stone, I would consider black or charcoal slate with copper. Don't listen to me, though. I don't have a single "artistic" gene either.
                                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                                My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X