Hansen Horno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hansen Horno

I've read that you don't want firebrick exposed (especially any freeze thaw scenarios) as they do absorb water. Not sure about "warmer" areas were freezing isn't an issue.

I used "house bricks for my outer decorative arch and am planning on building a door to keep out the elements when not in use.

My recommendation is plan on keeping them dry once the oven is dry.

Dick

Comment

Dick,

I looked through your thread again. Are your front landing and decorative arch made of regular brick? they look just like the fire brick.

Here's a photo of your transition out into the landing (I really like this, and may steal it for myself if that's ok)

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

That picture is of the arch and transition area. I think Dick means the very outside ( visible) arch at the end of construction.

You can see quite a difference in the brick types.

Bruce
        Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Thanks Dick, good advice. I'll plan on incorporating an outer door. I was planning to mortar the outer-most 2 rows of fire bricks in the landing area, but I can see how rain and snow could still cause problems.
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

I mocked up the first layer of bricks for the arches (the 2 bricks on the right in the photo). The red line is where another cut would go to accomodate a soldier. I have no idea if this is a good way to begin the arch, so I'm wide open for suggestions! I thought I'd include an expansion joint (gap) as far back as the reveal, and then close it up.

If I cut 3 more sets of bricks identical to the 2 on the right shown here, and stack them up, there will be a long mortar joint running up the side of the arch. Is that a huge concern?

I'd really appreciate any input, because the arch really has me stymied!

(Per my previous post, I plan to mortar bricks 1-9 into place.)
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread

Comment

The mockup of your floor looks plenty smooth to me.

Mine has more variation - I had intended to smooth it out with a belt sander but have not gotten around to it....

So far so good the peels are not hanging up on them.

I think you're off to a great start.

Christo
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the comments, Christo! (On both threads.... I meant to go back and delete the other one before someone posted to it, but you beat me.)

I think I won't mortar the floor bricks into place (except at the entryway), so hopefully I'll be able to replace them as needed, like if I chip some with a peel.
                Picasa web album
                Oven-building thread

Comment

Dome profile. I originally planned to do a full soldier, but I think I like the half-soldier better.
                  Picasa web album
                  Oven-building thread

Comment

Originally posted by brokencookie View Post

You can see quite a difference in the brick types.

Bruce
                    Yeah, I see the brick difference in the arches. I'm interested in the floor, though. This seems to be where inclement weather might have an impact. Dick, do you intend on having two doors, then? One to seal off the oven proper, for heat retention, the other to seal off the arch transition when the oven is not in use to keep it dry?
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Okay, I already changed my mind, again! Since the soldier course will go around the outside of the oven, a full soldier won't stand up much higher around the floor than a half soldier, and everything seems to just fit better with the full soldier. So I'm back to my original plan.
                      Picasa web album
                      Oven-building thread

Comment

I got the soldier course all tapered, but I forgot to leave enough room for a mortar joint. I'm hoping I can adjust them to fit without much more cutting (you can see in the lower part of pic #1 that I was playing with that idea).
                        Last edited by dbhansen; 07-06-2008, 04:44 PM.
                        Picasa web album
                        Oven-building thread

Comment

No progress to report, but my thermocouples and SuperIsol boards arrived today. Still waiting on the HeatStop50, but I should be able to start moving things outside on the weekend. I can't wait! The SuperIsol seems like it will be very easy to work with. I just need to figure out where to make the cuts to maximize the stability (and minimize the seams).
                          Picasa web album
                          Oven-building thread

Comment

it's time to slap some mortar on those puppies
                            Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

I forgot to leave enough room for a mortar joint.
                              DB,

The HeatStop can be spread really thin. I would just dive in. Start on one side with the soldiers and work your way around. Your last brick next to the arch may need some adjusting, but it will never be seen once you insulate.

In order to see that brick from the inside, you will have to stick your head through the arch and crane your neck . You'll soon forget you miscalculated and have a funny sized brick there.
                              Ken H. - Kentucky
                              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                                The HeatStop can be spread really thin. I would just dive in.
                                Thanks Ken! I was hoping that's the case, so I was planning to just give it a try and see what happens as I work my way around. I guess the alternative is worse - cutting too much and having big gaps. I don't mind making some extra cuts, as long as I don't have to cut every brick again! That was tiring.
                                Picasa web album
                                Oven-building thread

Comment

Working...
                                X