MY 40inch CORNER BUILD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY 40inch CORNER BUILD

Well I figured after reading through a few threads that it seems people like to follow along and be apart of the build process versus just seeing the results at the end. I also hope this helps to keep me moving and getting this oven done in the next 2 months and mitigate any procrastination on my part.

Before i get started i would like to say to everyone on this forum thanks so far for all the knowledge and your personal insights for your specific build there are so many techniques and build styles it makes a job like this seem less intense then one may make it out to be.

Without further ado LETS GET INTO IT!!

So to start I had a my patio poured last July 2022

After that I built my outdoor kitchen with fridge and two storage compartments and my lovely 40" Summerset Sizzler Pro. IF your interested in that build i can go more into details on how that went.

Anywho last November before the freeze we went ahead and began building our base for the pizza oven which sits at the end of the outdoor island and closes off the patio. For this I poured a 5 - 6 inch slab reinforced with about 5/8s to 1" rebar left over from one of my job sites ( plenty of pictures to come just need to get them off my drone and old phone)

This went pretty good i think in total we used around 21 80# bags of concrete and i was able to use my air hammer to vibrate the forms and rebar to get the concrete to fill all the voids nice. In the end I believe the base measured 65X65 just big enough for what i wanted to build.

After this i actually built tent over the base and let it sit with a heater on full blast for a week straight since we were having days dropping below freezing outside and i did not want to risk structural integrity of the base.

Now this is where we are gonna have some fun with the reactions of this forum since i have yet to see a build done with my method.

Due to weight concerns on my patio. Pricing of materials and skill set i chose to build the "stand" of my base out of wood versus the traditional method of cinderblock. Now i know immediately you probably think i am crazy but let me explain first.

The frame is built from a combination of 4x6's 4x4's and 2x4's all pressure treated.

So lets get into the numbers:

there are 5 vertical posts each a 4x6 spanning each post is a upper and lower 4x4 all lag bolted into each 4x6.

at the center of each wall ( excluding the 5th "entrance" wall) there is a 4x4 post supporting the upper 4x4 at each end there is a 2x4 and in between the ends and the center 4x4 post there is another 2x4 for support.

this gives us an range of 8 - 12" on center depending on the wall.

Now for the math:

first off a 4x4 vertically can withstand 6,000 psi before breaking and more when properly supported so a 4x6 is even higher then that so lets leave that there and continue again at 8 ft total length

a singular 4x4 post spanning 8 ft can withstand 500 lbs at the center before sagging. again this is a 8 foot span and all the weight at the weakest point.
    a singular 4x4 post spanning 8 ft can withstand 1000lbs spread evenly across it before sagging/breaking
    a singular 4x4 post spanning 8 ft can withstand a total weight of 4000lbs approx 2 tons! t when supported at 16" on center.

So i have 5 walls with 4x4s spanning just around 5 feet with supports found at 12" or less on center and the center stud being a 4x4 for increased strength over a standard 2x4.

Therefore I technically can support up to 20,000lbs before failure.

Now the second issue comes into play is the stands shear capability. although it can hold 20K in weight cant i just run into the stand and it will simply break apart and fall to one side or another....

well we addressed that concern in 3 ways.

first way is the top was also doweled into the existing countertops of the kitchen

secondly we created was is considered a fixed end. my base top was poured onto the stand not pre fabbed and carried over and placed ontop of my stand. when i poured the stand the belly of the "hearth"
    actually sits between 2 and 3 inches below the tops of the 4x6 posts and around 1- 2 inches below the top 4x4 posts that make of the wall this is also the case on the outsides of the walls as i sat the floor of the outer form for the over hand around .5 to 1 inches lower. What this allows for it the concrete to form around the posts and create a hold on the tops that mitigates side to side movement. all wood coming into contact with the concrete was protected/coated.

thirdly across the walls we have a diagonal 2x6 lagged to the 4x4 center studs and screwed into the remaining studs for increased shear force.

Although i wont consider it added strength the walls will also be faced with concrete board and faced with a stone veneer.

So in total i believe my base is very strong and capable of holding and lasting a long time and i can always go back and add in cinderblock walls inside the base in future if needed.

Wood will also be stained and coated for longevity purposes.
    Also everything was fastened using very expensive structural screws etc.

So i estimated my total weight on this stand may reach 5,000# MAX so i am confident my stand in built just fine

If your still doubtful i gave it the good ole' donkey kick test and nothing moved side to side also my brother is a professional engineer and he gave it a throghough inspection and signed off on its abilities to perform the job.

Moving on:

We get to where i am at right now which is 6 days into the curing of my insulating layer I did a 5.5" thick V-crete slab to build my oven on. i believe my ratio came out to 8-1 vermiculite to portland cement with about 4 parts water, i work with concrete alot so i slowly added in the water until i got consistency that held together and didnt just look like kitty liter soaking up some engine oil. To build the form for that i used 2x6s and some masonite form went together super easily and the diameter right now sits at just about 49 inches.

SO this week i will finally begin my oven floor and finally begin the oven dome! my goal is to be completed by beginning of June. I do plan on beveling my brick to help with the V so we will see how much that cuts into my build progress but hopefully a few jigs or my experience with all the tile jobs ive done i will be able to cruise through it.

Luckily for me i am young and have no kids or responsibilities outside of work so a few works lights and we will be working well into the nights ( i finished pourings and cleaning up from the pour of the V-crete @ 11:40 pm last week) which should help with my progress my goal is a row or more a day of block with 11 rows total i believe so we will see how that goes!

Final part of this introduction:

My plan is to build a 40" pompeii oven, made from high grade fire brick followed by 3 inches of Fiber Blanket , and a mortar covering and topped off with a nice natural stone shell to hold it all in and keep out the water.
    i will be building out of brick or creating a form to extend my landing out more past my hearth for a nice finish ( more on that when it comes ) i am building a oven similiar to "artisan made things" on youtube.

Plan on doing a clay chimney flute and a nice brick wrap for that.

Looking forward to sharing more with you guys and building this thing finally!

Well it’s been a few days…

anyways I come bearing photos!

my V-Crete came out great I ended up going with an 8-1 / 9-1 ratio of vermiculite to Portland cement
    i know some people have said it should be a drier mix but I think o was around 4-6 parts water it made a good consistency and I did give it a nice pat for compaction not too much but in the end it came out great

i Ended up leaving the forms on until I was ready to do the floor so it sat for a couple weeks in formed with poly pulled over it tightly and two layers of tarps to keep the sun off it … its been very hot here in WNY

—— I see after scrolling up I already spoke about the v-Crete and see that it’s actually been curing for almost a month!

I have about 3 other projects going on congruently two of which were time sensitive so this got put on hold and I was waiting on a bigger tiles saw

About two days ago I officially pulled the forms off and uncovered it and it’s looked amazing still perfectly level and no damage to side walls from the forms

I’ll post some pictures of the form I built but I rubbed it in vegetable oil and it did a great as a release agent

After the. I put a skim coat over the whole thing of a 1-1 mixture with fire clay and masons sand

I did a herring bone pattern for my floor and used the same mixture of 1-1 fire clay and sand to set and level my floor and best as you can we with these bricks and it worked out pretty good I slid a brick over it and never caught any edges so I think we are good I figure if anything I can always sand down edges if any issues arise in the future but I doubt that will be the case

following that I built the form for the inner arch this went pretty well I used some scrap 1/2 plywood and to make the arch I marked the center of the bottom of the form and marked the top of my arch in this case according to the charts should be about 13 7/8’s when I marked that I took some string and tied it around a marker and then placed the marker on the point and pulled the string tight to the bottom center point and held it with my thumb snd fr there moved the marker left and right and voilą we had an arch

I built my IT tool from 3/4 inch plywood I based it off of Artisan Made’s IT tool from YouTube as I am basically mimicking his build.

I did make a slight variation to the tool so it would sit lower to the oven floor. The rotating piece was built from the smallest castor I could find at Home Depot and I made my arm from 1x2 wood

I decided to put my Soldier on top of my floor and I mortard them down so I’d have a solid base when building my dome , I did not pre soak the bricks or wet the floor so that it would be a weak bond and crack loose of the floor were to move during heat cycles and not effect my dome

today I went ahead and got the first dome course in it went very smooth I did record it as a time lapse came out cool .
    I started my second row I could not understand the chart on how to get the bevel angle for the bricks so I got it close enough where there’s no inverted V or at the very least it’s very subtle I got most of those in but dinner was ready and it was dark enough I decided I will continue the second row tomorrow and hopefully get the third row in and maybe start the archway

I do have the towers for the inner arch built and leveled still h e one more brick for each side but waiting till I do the arch to add them

anyway that’s where I am at for now

also I am using the Home Brew 3-1-1-1 it’s working out great

i got the fire clay of Zoro

the masons sand and Portland cement from Home Depot

and the masons like Type S from my construction supply house

Comment

I’ll have to figure out how to add the photos I figured I could upload straight from my phone seems more difficult than that lol

Comment

I cannot stress Facebook market place enough in any of my projects I do I always am scouting out marketplace

I don’t even like Facebook that much but marketplace is Craigslist on steroids and it always have brought me gems and some really solid finds

in this case I was able to land an MK Diamond 1070 10” tile with miter capabilities for only 150 dollars

I did go out and buy a 10” diamond blade for it meant to cut pavers for about 80$ but still a great purchase

seams to take around 25- 30 seconds to cut through the brick

not sure what kinds of cutting times you guys are getting with your saws

but I’m happy with it

i think down the road I may replace the motor bearing and brushed to quiet it down and give it more power see if it helps speed up the cutting time if I were to build more of these for other people but for this project it’s doing just fine

Comment

Comment

Making my herring bone pattern of course somone was mad I wasn’t paying attention to them

Comment

My oven floor / base set

Comment

My IT tool and the soldier row being dry fit

Comment

Archway cuts and form!

Comment

Comment

This is how I got the shape and angle for my archway cuts once I got my soldier toe close enough during the dry fit I simply took a piece of paper and pushed it into the space and cut along the bottoms of the archway form and the adjacent soldier brick

super easy and worked out pretty good !

Comment

Soldier course being mortared in!

Comment

Additional photos of soldier row

Comment

Archway towers completed up to top brick which still needs to be cut on and angle for the archway to rest on

towel for presoaking the soldier row for stronger bond I had a flower watering bucket that I would reapply water with worked good

Comment

I’ll have to take some screenshots from the Timelapse video I have tomorrow to show more pictures of the first dome row etc but those were the final pictures from today I got the first row completed and about 60-70% of the second row competed until it was dark and dimmer was done .

continuing work tomorrow !!

Comment

Working...
                              X