X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mfiore
    replied
    Re: Michigan WFO

I finished the stone work today! I grouted three of the four sides. All I have to do now is the back, then on with the roof! More pics later. My camera battery died.

Leave a comment:

• stonylake
    replied

mike, i'm from grand rapids, born 1956..so the Lions have won in my lifetime (1957). my family, all Mich born and raised are Steelers, Patriots, Eagles fans...don't ask me how.. i'm a roofing, siding, window, stone, distributor..if you need help with the slate or flashings, let me know... i poured my hearth on the 16th..we've had 21 days of rain this month. my oven construction is going to have to wait till spring.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Mike, I found the google book thread I used that had pics of the 3 methods of slate roof ridge available. It's on my oven thread with more pics. Go Red Wings! -Dino

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Les, at least your Raiders won a few (3?) Superbowl titles at some point in history. The Lions have never even qualified for the Superbowl. A record 19 straight losses until they managed a victory this fall. Thank god we have the Red Wings!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
    Fortunately, the Lions had a bye week, so I didn't have to miss watching them lose.
    I'm a Raider fan - I really feel your pain. We have one more win than you - you probably look to us as gods.

Your work is looking fantastic!!!

Les...

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Thanks for all the comments. Hope the snow will hold off for a few weeks!

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

You're wfo's facade looks terrific Mike. I love it! Can't wait to see it grouted. We've been stone veneer shopping all week and have reduced our choice from 20 to 7 styles. The pics of your progress will inspire us (or just make us give up and use wood veneer contact paper).
    Your chimney looks great too. It's all so very classic looking. Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

• jmhepworth
    replied

Nice work, Mike.

Joe

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Very nice work, Mike! I really like the chimney; I'm sure it will look awesome with the slate.

Leave a comment:

• KraemerBAC
    replied

Mike,

Looks great, can't wait to see it with the roof

Peter

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

The weather and my schedule were in cooperation today! Fortunately, the Lions had a bye week, so I didn't have to miss watching them lose.

I was able to finish the stone work on 3 of 4 sides of the oven. The backside is 2/3 done. I still need to do the grout work. I were going to incorporate some accent brick above the entrance, perhaps on the sides, but I really like this stone. I hope I don't look back later and think it's too much stone.

I also did the stone work on the chimney, with a brick "cap". Not sure if I like it yet. I think it will look better when I tie it in with the red slate for the roof.

I now understand why many ovens are masonry on the bottom and stucco on the top. The masonry/roof interface is really a pain to tackle.

I really just need one or two nice days off to finish some masonry, then on with the roof.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Looking sweet, hope your blessed with great weather on your day off,,,

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

For those that enjoy watching grass grow, or paint dry .....

this is all the work I could squeeze out this past week. The weather for tomorrow is promising, and I have the day off!!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Joe, for whatever it's worth, the stone seems to stick better in the warmer weather (> 50 degrees)

Leave a comment:

• jmhepworth
    replied

That makes me wonder if I should try to finish mine in the next month or so. I had resigned myself to waiting unitl spring.

Joe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X