• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mfiore
    replied
    Re: Michigan WFO

Maxi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been away from the forum for awhile (sadly). I had absolutely no experience. I think it depends what you mean by hard. It does require research, some time to source materials, and patience. I went slow, and was sure of my steps before proceeding. The actual labor was not too bad. I'm not a big guy by any means, and was able to manage the concrete, brick, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Maxi2425
    replied

Is it very hard to build without any sort experience

Leave a comment:

• zomanb
    replied

Very nice build!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

I dug below the frost line (48 inches) for a foundation below the slab. I think their are photos early in the thread. Zero problems with frost heave so far.

Leave a comment:

• Jimney
    replied

Beautiful work and thank you for being so diligent with your posts!
    Because of our climate, did you pour footings below the frontline or did you just do the slab on grade? How is the slab handling our freeze thaw cycles?

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Thanks for the comments. Best of luck to you, texman. I look forward to your build!

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Really Beautiful ! Well Done ! I really enjoyed your pix and i am sure i will refer to them often. Ordered brick today from Larkin refractory in Georgia. Should be cutting brick in no time.

Leave a comment:

• ja1724
    replied

Incredible work of art!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Thanks for the compliments! Dino, yep, we put a peach tree on either side of the oven. We were inspired by your lemon tree photos. This is as close as we get in Michigan!

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Hey there Mike! That looks super fantastic!

It's great to see your project progress as it has. We've just received our first cool front in FL. today; headed out to my wood guy to stock up as we speak.

Great job on everything!

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Your yard and landscaping look great Mike. It looks so much different than when you just completed it. I like that big rock on the left side of the oven. Is that a peach tree to the right?

I really like the lighting around your patio too. Looks like a great place to enjoy a pizza and a glass of wine, just like your pic.

And those pizza's! The crust looks nicely risen and colored. I saw your pics of the rolled flank steak too. Wasn't fun to fun to grill in the wfo?

Well done!
    -Dino

Leave a comment:

• gmchm
    replied

Very nice landscaping job. I bet the neighbors with swimming pools are jealous of you now. Great photos as well.
    Last edited by gmchm; 09-26-2011, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stonylake
    replied

your yard looks awesome Mike... i'm having problems getting my oven finished, it's stuccoed and functional and i just can't seem to find the time to get my stonework done. hopefully before snow flies...

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

It's been a long time since I've updated my thread. Here are some recent photos. We've re-landscaped the entire back yard to go along with the oven.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Congratulations Mike on a job well done. Your roof, stone facade and counter are beautiful. That last bit of functional copper treatment around the chimney is gorgeous too.

It just shows it's never too late or too hard not to learn new things. It's even better when you're actually GOOD at it, which you are. It's been fun watching your build and learning from it. Take care, Dino

Leave a comment:

Working...
X