Michigan WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan WFO

Greetings! I guess it's time for my own WFO thread.

For those that haven't followed my foundation/stand build, I should point out that this will not be one of those ovens that seem to pop up over night.

It's taking me a lot longer to get to where I am than I ever imagined. I have zero construction experience prior to this. The largest share of my delays, however, can be attributed to being the happy father of 3 small boys. Perhaps starting this project with a 2 month old at home wasn't' the best idea I've had.

For my build to date, feel free to see my foundation/stand thread
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/begins-3819.html

I started with a 48 inch deep (perhaps over-engineered) foundation to withstand Michigan winters.

My hearth stand is 'H' shaped, with an opening in front and back to allow for two smaller wood storage units.

The hearth is poured, the forms pulled, and I'm ready to build!

So far, I've found the concrete and block work to be very enjoyable. Somehow makes me feel closer to my Italian heritage!
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: Michigan WFO

I have 115 fire brick that I picked up locally (cleaned them out). I wasn't terribly happy with the quality - a lot of chips and scratches. I didn't have many options, however. I even drove 90 miles to Detroit to look at a few places. No better.

Here is my floor laid out and cut. I haven't decided how to position the soldier course yet (different mock setups in the photo).
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

I was struggling with the insulation board for quite a while. Finally threw in the towel and purchased the FB board, which should arrive this week. I considered the K PAC-15, which was much cheaper, but decided to support Forno Bravo in return for the great forum provided for us.
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Mike that really looks great!

Comment

Glad to see your own thread Mike, keep the faith (fathering too)
          ...your oven will get there!

Good luck with it, Jim
          Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

The floor looks great. I like the multiple shades of color in the brick.
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
              being the happy father of 3 small boys.
              Congratulations!

You're not alone, I built my oven with the "help" of three kids... although the younger two were lalready 4 when I started. At east a 2-month old isn't mobile yet .
              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Mike,

I really like your block stand layout. Having two openings with a dividing wall is really smart. I wish I did something like that.
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                  Congratulations!

At least a 2-month old isn't mobile yet .
                  True, not yet! I agree, sometimes a newborn is much easier than when they are toddlers. That's how I realized how long the project is taking me. He was 2 months old when I started. Now he's already 6 months old!
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by dbhansen View Post
                    The floor looks great. I like the multiple shades of color in the brick.
                    Thanks. Unfortunately, along with multiple shades, the bricks come in multiple widths also! They are tough to lay out perfectly even.
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

My FB board came in today! Any thoughts on how far back to ideally place the oven to allow for enough room for a front landing/counter area, yet not be too far away from the oven to be able to use well?
                      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

I think my landing starts about 12-13" from the front of the cantilever, if that helps, but it's all personal preference. I have long arms!
                        Picasa web album
                        Oven-building thread

Comment

Well, I have short arms!

I know you haven't used the oven yet, but does it seem you'll be able to work inside pretty easily?

I plan on incorporating some type of cantilevering ledge for a workspace, either poured concrete (like the badger is building currently), or a stone slab. Are there any general principles in construction as to how much should stay on the base, and how much can hang over (I'm sure there is a ratio of some kind)
                          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

I don't know if you tried VanPopplen block co. in Bay City for the firebrick Mike. I bought mine from there this spring, $ 1.95 ea. They had them stored inside, and they were in good shape. I found firebricks in Omer and bought some, and after looking them over they were all cracked. They had been stored outside for a few years, and they absorbed water then froze during the winter and developed cracks throughout. I got my money back for those, and went to VanPopplens for everything. Jim

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll look at them. I got mine at Lincoln Brick in Saginaw (Freeland?). They were only $1.37 ea. I guess you get what you pay for. Maybe I'll get some nice brick for the floor, and the cheaper ones for the dome.
                              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                              My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X