Michigan WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan WFO

Third course completed today. Although it takes me all day to complete one course, it is quite enjoyable.

I think I'm going to have to tackle that entry arch. I've been procrastinating long enough. It's a little intimidating.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Those bricks almost look like they are tapered from the photo, but I'm sure they are just half bricks right? You must be building the 42" oven, that makes the joints a little tighter. My oven is about 35" inside, but I had gone in a different direction at the beginning, trying to build an Argentinian oven with no plans, different venting, not enough insulation, etc. etc. I had to back up and do some things over, some tearing out of the floor, add 4" of vermiculite concrete, re-lay the floor, shape of the dome template changed,some misery, some struggles, some days that I really wondered if I had accomplished anything, But thanks to some of the folks on this site that gently persuaded me to make changes that I didn't want to { by the way, they were always right! } I have ended up with an oven that my family and lots and lots of friends, neighbors and customers have enjoyed this summer. I stumbled into this forum after I was well underway, and folks like Frances, and George { what ever happened to George } and others helped me to correct what I had done and make it all work... You are way ahead of me with your knowledge of the WFO, you have been active in this forum for a long time, I joined after I had done a lot of my oven { and had to tear stuff apart }... You will end up with a great oven and never have to back up and re-do anything. And ditto to Peter, If you are in the area stop by for a look, a vino, a pizza, Best to all... Jim

Comment

Naw it's field corn. I rent the land to a local farmer. Yes we like it here a lot. I hope to do my fourth cure fire today. It is getting pretty exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
          I saw that vermiculite in Menard's. I was wondering if it was the right stuff, it seemed like a good price.
          Mike, I got some vermiculite insulation from Menard's here in Wisconsin, 4 cu. ft. bags for about $9 each, I think, and I also am not sure if it's the right stuff. The composition is right, but the "grains" are quite small. So I think it will compact more, but I'm hoping it will work fine as loose-fill around my dome. I think most people use a product with a larger grain size. Once I get to that point, I'll let you know how it works!

Daren
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

Hi Mike,
            Your oven layout and brickwork look great. I'm getting my materials together to build my 42" oven stand, similar to yours. But I've got 2 questions:
            1. Since you used FB board (like I will) is it just 1-2" board or layer under you oven floor and I have not seen a picture pulled back far enough to see if your FB board is just on the 4" concrete deck pour or did you ALSO put a 4" vermiculite-concrete insulating layer? My understanding is that if you use FB board, you can leave out the vermic-conc insulating layer (which I hope to omit too). Is that right?

2. Is it a trick of the eye or is your vent landing tapered to be wider at the front than the rear oven opening? It seems like a good idea to be able to poke a pizza peel around easier but the front arch seems like it could be more difficult to build.
            Good luck!,
            Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Ciao Dino,

I will let Mike answer for his (excellent looking) oven, but you can put the 2" thick FB Board directly on the concrete hearth. It's very efficient and you will not feel heat out the bottom and your cooking floor will stay hot.

Go for it.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Like some of us, I have a tapered oven entry.

I thought it would be easier, since the entry wall was perpendicular to the oven wall, and I wouldn't have to have a notch to hold the door. It is easier to reach every area of the oven with brushes and tools, and you can see the fire from a wider angle in the patio area.

The only disadvantage I can see is that you need a longer, and potentially weaker, arch in front of the vent area.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by Derocherconstruction View Post
                  Those bricks almost look like they are tapered from the photo, but I'm sure they are just half bricks right? You must be building the 42" oven, that makes the joints a little tighter.
                  Jim,

I did cut a small (5 degree) bevel on the side of each brick to minimize the gap (that Heat-Stop 50 is expensive!). I have not cut any type of vertical compound angle. We'll see how it goes as we go up to higher levels. The oven is indeed 42 inches.

I reread your prior posts. Kudos to you for going back and re-insulating your floor. Do you have any photos of your oven? I am not sure what the Argentinian style is.
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
                    Hi Mike,
                    Your oven layout and brickwork look great. I'm getting my materials together to build my 42" oven stand, similar to yours. But I've got 2 questions:
                    1. Since you used FB board (like I will) is it just 1-2" board or layer under you oven floor and I have not seen a picture pulled back far enough to see if your FB board is just on the 4" concrete deck pour or did you ALSO put a 4" vermiculite-concrete insulating layer? My understanding is that if you use FB board, you can leave out the vermic-conc insulating layer (which I hope to omit too). Is that right?

2. Is it a trick of the eye or is your vent landing tapered to be wider at the front than the rear oven opening? It seems like a good idea to be able to poke a pizza peel around easier but the front arch seems like it could be more difficult to build.
                    Good luck!,
                    Dino

Dino, thanks for the complement!
                    1) Yes, you may omit the vermic-conc insulating layer if you use the FB board. I used 2 inches of the FB board directly on the 4 inch slab. It was not as level as others have reported, so I needed a little bit of dry fireclay/sand mix to level the brick.

2) I did indeed put a slight taper to the walls of the vent landing. (perhaps 2 inches wider? I could measure if you'd like). My thought was just that, improved visualization and a little more room with the peel. It's not as aggressive as the taper in dmun's dome. We'll see if it makes a difference. Interesting that you mention that it might be more difficult to build that front arch. Since I am not a builder, I do not anticipate these things far enough ahead of time. Just last night I was looking at that thinking "how the heck am I going to get that front arch in?" I'll cross that bridge later!
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Finally, a break in the rain allowed a little progress. I completed courses 4 and five.

Also built the inner arch. This was actually pretty fun. Certainly not perfect, but I'm happy with it for my first arch. I guess the true test is when I pull the forms.

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

Here is the fifth course.

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

Now I'm beginning to understand all of those questions builders raised in prior threads that didn't make sense to me before. "inverted V's" and "arch transitions" etc.

I am a little worried that I positioned my arch too far forward. I'm only 5 courses up, and it feels that if I keep a perfect circle, the higher courses will be too far away from the arch.

Here is a photo of the fifth course as it begins it's transition to the arch supports. Is this typical?

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

MFiore,

Very nice.... I wish mine looked half as good - very clean.

Keep up the Great work.

Dick

Comment

Lookin' great, Mike! I really like the color variations in your brick. Concerning the arch position, I had the exact same feeling - that it was too far forward. My 5th course was just a bit higher due to the upright soldiers, but it still worried me. Looking at your picture, I would guess that yours will turn out just fine.
                              Picasa web album
                              Oven-building thread

Comment

Does look really good, and the color variation is really cool. My firebricks were all uniform in color, but they were pretty cheap $1.27 each. The guy that loaded them on the truck also loaded 30 extra....Still have to figure out what I'm going to do with those.
                                Dave
                                David and Cynthia Manchester

Comment

Working...
                                X