X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonylake
    replied
    Re: Michigan WFO

Godd Morning Mike. I talked to a mason/customer of mine yesterday, and he said that he will do stone in this weather..adding anti-freeze to his mortar. Get it at the brickyard. it's a lot like RV anti-freeze, but the formulations are much more consistant. he will do stonework with out tenting until it is in the 20's at night.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

It's the stone I need to get done. I think I can do the roof in the cold.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Looks great, Mike! We're bound to get some warmer weather eventually (it's supposed to be 58 degrees here on Saturday). We may get our roofs done yet!

Leave a comment:

• jmhepworth
    replied

The stone work looks really nice. That's what we're hoping to do with ours.

Joe

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

I put some decorative brick down (Old Detroit Brick) as an entrance to the oven. Thanks for the ideas, Daren. I'm a total hack!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Well, If I could offer some advice, it's to follow other people's advice!

I searched hard to find the answers I wanted to hear. The Quickrete 1800 number said the temps needed to be above 50 for 24 hours after using. The mix I'm using, though, is Pakmix Stone Veneer mortar. This mix said to use only if temps are greater than 40 and rising.

On Saturday, as soon as it hit 40, I started to put up some stone. I thought if I had a nice warm fire that could radiate some heat, then cover at night with a tarp, the walls might stay toasty. Too much damn insulation! The walls never get warm. I quit mid afternoon when the temps started dropping again. I definitely noticed a difference. The mortar did not stick well. That evening, two stone dropped (temps went into the 20's!!). I think it was a mistake. I hope to have a few nice days yet to wrap up the stone work. I'll focus on the roof until then.

Leave a comment:

• Spunkoid
    replied

Patience, it will warm up. We are freezing our butts off here in southern Alberta, no one remembers it to have been this cold this early. I am still trying to get my forno framed in, not stucco for me this year though.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

You can always build a plastic tent and use a space heater.....

Leave a comment:

• Lars
    replied

I would hold off on mortaring if you know you will have a freeze. I am REALLY hoping for an indian summer, so just wait a few days!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Do you think it helps if I use warm water to mix the mortar? (Can't blame a guy for trying)

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

I know the Quikrete surface bonding cement that I'm using says not to use it if the temps fall below 40 within 24 hours.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

on our Help Line at 1-800-282-5828 to inquire about specific QUIKRETE? products and where to buy them, order product literature or obtain expert advice on concrete projects.
    Here is the number for quikrete,,, they are very helpful and Im sure they can answer that question if someone here cant

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

I am mortaring stone veneer. What do you think if I put it on during the day (temps above 40 degrees), but it drops into the 30's at night?

Leave a comment:

• KINGRIUS
    replied

Surewall surface bonding cement- Do not apply below 40 degrees or above 90 degrees. http://www.resarch.com/bonsalamerica...s/SURFACEB.PDF

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Quikrete surface bonding cement (stucco) will withstand up to 300 degrees farenheit acoording to their help line... Hope this helps,, It is also a one coat process

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

Working...
X