• Show
Clear All

Re: Another Aussie Oven

Originally posted by Grunt44 View Post
    Hi John
    thanks for the reply, where did you purchase these from .? I am in Sydney
    Regards Grant
    Hi Grant

There is a company called Field Furnace Refractories Pty Ltd who can supply everything you need to build your WFO. They are located at Wetherill Park Syd

Cheers
    John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Good for you mate...you did great work there

So Hi from Canberra

enjoy the great food from your oven

Comment

It has been over 6 weeks since I last played with my WFO and it feels good to be back at it and playing with power tools again.

I was waiting for a new blade for my brick saw but that turned up yesterday and when I got home from work I got stuck into cutting the bricks for the outer arch and the flue transition. I have also completed the timber form work for the arch so hopefully I can begin curing fires in a week.

Paul
        Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
        (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

It has been a good week end for pizza oven construction.

The outer arch has now been bricked in, the chimney is in place, the insulation is over the oven and fires inside the oven are hotting up. There is still a long way to go until all the decoration and landscaping is done but we plan to have the first trial pizza next weekend.

The insulation is horrible stuff to work with and unfortunately I still need to put some chicken wire over the insulation and pull it into a better dome shape before I start the rendering, but at least no more cutting.

Paul
          Paul

Comment

Looking Fantastic Paul!!

keep up the great work
            John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

I think you may have built the most perfectly round dome (at the brick, not the blanket) I have yet seen on FB.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
              Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

After a few fires that are getting hotter and hotter the oven is holding up well. I have a crack in the mortar of the keystone on the outer arch but as the chimney is not drawing as well as I hoped I may rebuild that at some later stage. The dome has bricks and mortar show no signs of cracks which just goes to show that you should leave the mortar longer than 24hrs like I did with the brickwork on my outer arch.

The fire last night got the bricks at the top of the dome to about 200 deg C and I was surprised on how much steam was visible and how hot and damp the top of the insulation was. I'm not sure if the moisture is in the bricks or the insulation but I will start keeping the fire going for longer to dry it all out.

Attached are a few thermographic images of the oven under firing to show the spread of temps. Who needs an infrared thermometer when they have one of these at work to borrow ;-)

Paul
                Paul

Comment

Nice and high tech....

Got me thinking now where I can get hold of something similar. Would be a great exercise to be able to map out the heat patterns of one's own oven....

When are you coming to Perth???
                  / Rossco

Comment

Rossco,

The company doesn't have an office in Perth so I don't have an excuse to go over there. Not only do they have the cool test equipment but good tools to borrow when building pizza ovens! I'll take a few more pics on the weekend when I have the oven up to full temp.

Paul
                    Paul

Comment

Hey Paul..

Very Cool.... Love the thermographic images.. Your oven looks great too... Congrats on your first fire...
                      Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

It was an exciting weekend. I didn't do any work on the oven but I did make pizzas and split & stack wood.

All I can say is that the pizza pros make it look easier than it actually is to slide pizzas off a peel onto the oven floor. I made a few on Friday evening for the neighbours who were all hanging about in the street for the regular "Friday Night Drinks".

You can see that the first pizza started off fairly round but after it had been pulled onto the peel and then slid off into the oven it was somewhat artistically arranged. Anyway, no one cared as it tasted really good. I tried making the others while on the peel but it's not so easy on an aluminium peel with a long handle in the kitchen!

I fired back up the oven for pizzas on Saturday lunchtime as my teenage kids were dirty on me for making pizza while they were not there and all I can say is that it must have been beginner's luck on Friday night. I thought that on the first pizzas they were too big so I made the dough balls smaller but this didn't help much as lots of them stuck to the peel and I discovered how olives and other toppings will roll off a pizza while it stays stuck to the peel. I few pizzas were sacrificed to the pizza gods after they ended up as a mess on the floor of the oven. My son who is nearly 17 was horrified to realise that I just threw the mess onto the fire in disgust. His comment was "how bad can it have been? I would have still eaten it!?

The good news is that I can only get better and I have an excuse to keep practicing.

Paul
                        Paul

Comment

It has been a while since my last post but things have been slowly evolving.

I wasn't happy with my outer arch as too much smoke was leaking out the front. I pulled down the arch and rebuilt it with a much larger transition into the chimney. Previously The chimney was simply a hole cut into the arch and now it is like a large inverted funnel before entering the chimney.

Today I also finished rendering the outside of the oven and next weekend hopefully I can put the colour coat on the dome and start think about tile decoration on the concrete base,

then I have to do the timber deck..
                          then the pool surround..
                          then the lighting around the oven/deck..
                          then returf the back yard..
                          cut down a tree that has grown too large..
                          the list is endless!
                          Last edited by Alter ego; 05-16-2010, 05:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
                          Paul

Comment

It has been 6 weeks since I last had a fire in the oven so I plan to have a long burning low fire on Thursay evening to drive any moisture out of the oven that it has probably absorbed in that time and it will be pizza time again on Friday evening

Paul
                            Paul

Comment

The tiles have arrived so if the weather stays dry this weekend I can get the tiles on the base and water proof the front of the oven to stop the floor insulation soaking up water.

I think that there must be a lot of moisture in this insulation as the oven didn't perform as well as when I had been using it every week. I will also make an outerdoor to keep rain off the landing floor where it just soakes into the bricks.
                              Paul

Comment

It rained all day Saturday but today I managed to spend the Sunday playing with the oven. The colour is oxide powder mixed with Portland cement and water proofing and painted onto the oven.

To keep the pizza tools in order I fixed 2 short lengths of 50mm electrical conduit beneath the slab. I also installed a temp guage in my door. This door is version 2 (version 1 was just plywood that caught fire one night when I put it in when the oven was too hot) and was only meant to be temporary but it seems to have stood up well to constant use. It is a Hebel 50mm aerated concrete brick with the plywood form screwed to it.

I fired up the oven for pizza at lunch time and then roasted a chicken for dinner tonight.

As you can see from the photo, the neighbours were begging over the fence and the only way to keep the quite was to toss a pizza over the fence.

Paul
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X