X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ohthetrees
    replied
    Re: 36" in Seattle

Thanks for the saw, stand and the bricks! I wonder how many saws have built two ovens?
    -Cedar

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Awe, I just sold my saw today. Little sad, but I'm glad it will continue to serve its primary purpose on someone else's oven. Good luck Cedar.

...also sold a still-sealed blade that I never needed, 60 firebricks, and half a bag of fireclay.

Hmmm, the season is starting to come around after the long winter. I'm feeling the need for pizza.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
    So glad your neighbor didn't become a Grinch this time . Thanks for posting the nice holiday food pics.
    -Dino
    Yeah, no trouble from her this time. Her live-in boyfriend has always pretty sympathetic to my situation and helps me out.

I put a big box fan on a ladder blowing toward the top of my chimney away from her yard. It's kind of a hassle though. I would hate to think it should become a required aspect of the oven's use.

Anyway...

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by kebwi View Post
    Planted ground covers all over the oven. They should eventually thicken up and fill in the entire exposed soil. Many of them should also drape over the sides of the oven.

The two rear corners will eventually house large pots with shrubs or small trees or tall grasses or something like that.

And the concrete counter will be covered granite; I've already bought the tile, just need to cut and apply it.

Cheers!
    Do you have any end of summer pictures?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Careful with the chestnuts, I cooked some and forgot to cut the outer shell. They exploded and blew the door off.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Chestnuts roasting over an open fire... I've heard the tune a thousand times this month and never thought of the wfo and really doing it. I'll keep my eye out for the fresh nuts next time. Looks really good and so does the goose.

So glad your neighbor didn't become a Grinch this time . Thanks for posting the nice holiday food pics.
    -Dino

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Christmas/Hanukkah/Etc.:

Roasted chestnuts, a goose, and a ham (plus a million things that never went in the brick oven...actually the pineapple went in the oven too to the extent that it matters).

No trouble from the neighbor...this time.

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

I, for one, like the look of those 'sear' marks.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Nice bird!
    I like the way you placed the door at the outer arch, allowing only air intake.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Originally posted by jerrycook View Post
    What's with the neighbor?
    I refer you to the relevant thread, in an effort to keep the threads disambiguated. Thanks for your interest:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...age-14507.html

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• jerrycook
    replied

What's with the neighbor? Before I built my oven, I went to the fire chief and all he was concerned about was how close to other structures it would be and was I going to burn garbage in it. Turns out a little turned into garbage when it came out, but not very much, all things considered.

Looks really good I've done chickens on stands and was quite happy with them. Speaking of chicken, I was too chicken to put my $50 turkey in the oven.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Thanksgiving 2010.

I did two small turkeys instead of one big one. There was concern that my @*#(*@! neighbor might call the fire department and have me shut down so I wanted a second turkey in the kitchen. However, she didn't call them which meant that by the time the oven was fully fired and ready, I decided to just do them both in the brick oven anyway.

...but, I didn't fire it solidly enough, didn't really give it a good long heat soak, so I lost heat really fast. After waiting a while, my wife and I "chickened" out and brought one turkey into the house to finish in the kitchen oven. At the same time I actually relit two small fires on opposites sides of the brick oven (around a foil-covered turkey) to get some heat back in. You can see in the photos how I was trying to prevent heat loss while refiring the oven the second time while still letting the fire breath by covering the external opening with the door but lifted slightly on two bricks.

The searing you see is obviously from the secondary fire which was more aggressive than I anticipated. The other turkey (which doesn't count in my book since it spent its second half in the kitchen oven) looks much more consistent.

Anyway, they were both a huge hit. I brined for about half a day and they literally disintegrated on the cutting board. The whole event was quite a success -- twelve (and a two-year-old) extremely full diners in attendance.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Very nice!! I need to practice with a couple of birds before T-giving as well. This will be my first turkey ever.
    Last edited by fxpose; 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• splatgirl
    replied

Whoo, success! That all looks great!
    I strongly recommend heating your oven as you would for pizza, meaning get it really hot and then let it cool back down. Because you've then really soaked the bricks, you'll find that it loses heat much more slowly than if you only heat to close to the temp you are looking for. More stable temps and more forgiving of screwing around. This will be even more important the more stuff you put in.
    I also suggest putting your next practice (or your final) on a pan with low sides like a sheet tray. You're losing out on a lot of delicious brown and crisp by having a deep pan around the bird. I just got a couple of those stand-up roaster racks for chickens that I am going to try next time, but I usually use a rack ON a sheet pan so that as much of the bird as possible has a clear view of brick.
    The original no-knead bread recipe calls for baking in a dutch oven...works great huh?
    Although in a WFO, its unnecessary because that already is your dutch oven!

congrats! The easiest and best chicken you've ever cooked, right?

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Thanksgiving is set for my house, so I need to learn how to cook a bird in my oven. Tonight was my first attempt. In the end everything went fine, but I was losing heat so it took much longer to cook than expected (about 425 in, 350 out). I meant to start hotter but after firing for a while, then cleaning out the coals, that's where it was, mid 400s. I wasn't going to pizza temps and didn't quite hit my target (mid 500s). Also, we kept opening the oven to deal with other things (potatoes, corn, & bread). It would have retained a lot more heat if I had just left the door in place.

We brined it for a little less than an hour a pound (four hours for a five and a half pound chicken). The brine solution was one gallon water, one cup salt, half cup brown sugar, and an unmeasured amount of ground multicolor pepper and rosemary. We stuffed the chicken with onions, garlic and rosemary (the last two from our garden), coated it with olive oil and poured white wine in the bottom of the pan. Cooked with the lid on for a while, then finished it up with the lid off (then put the lid back on to desperately try to finish it at the low temps.). It was the moistest most succulent chicken I've ever eaten in my life. It practically disintegrated off the bone as I was carving it. It wouldn't even stay together for me to carve properly. Awesome.

The bread was a no-knead recipe from our neighbor which specifically called for a dutch oven. Go figure. Turned out pretty good actually despite not being the highlight of the evening. Wish I'd taken more pictures of it.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X