• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• realjaydub
    replied
    Re: SE Minnesota insanity

Originally posted by Eric Pfeifer View Post
    Guys and gals, here it is, still wet off the saw--the keystone, avec hole bored in top for the thermocouple. There is much beer to be had over here tonight.

Excellent work!

Eric, I live in Minneapolis and I'm embarking on my own outdoor wfo and am having a heck of a time finding affordable firebrick...where did you pick yours up at?

Thanks much!

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Guys and gals, here it is, still wet off the saw--the keystone, avec hole bored in top for the thermocouple. There is much beer to be had over here tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Originally posted by blacknoir View Post
    I finished mine late last summer and didn't master pizza making or fire building by the time the temp dropped and was just not motivated over the winter to stand in snow to try it again. I'm happy to say though that my first fire and batch of pizzas this Spring were better then any I did last year!
    Awesome. I can't wait to get to where you are at!

Leave a comment:

• blacknoir
    replied

I finished mine late last summer and didn't master pizza making or fire building by the time the temp dropped and was just not motivated over the winter to stand in snow to try it again. I'm happy to say though that my first fire and batch of pizzas this Spring were better then any I did last year!

Leave a comment:

• cecilB
    replied

Wow! That arch picture is an optical illusion - At first it looks like a dome make out of paper thin bricks. Weird!
    But once your eyes focus properly - wow! It's very nice.
    cool!
    c

Leave a comment:

• WoodchuckDad
    replied

That arch is fantastic. I am getting tempted to buy a better saw because I don't think I can come anywhere near what I want with a little wet tile saw and a grinder.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Eric,,
    If thats the kind of work after a few beers,, My suggestion,, keep beer close by... Arch looks great,,, Love it,,, doing a great job,, forget about the girlfriend,, you can always get a new one,, Your oven however,,, WILL stay with you as long as you want... Nice Job

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Aside from girlfriend issues, this is the other reason my build has taken so long--the opening arch. I don't know what possessed me, other than some senseless bravado, but in any case I like it. The arch curves in three dimensions, and forms itself a very slight "dome" shape, with a sharp apex, which will hopefully act as a smoke plenum and minimize the stuff heading out into my kitchen. Cutting the bricks on the wet saw to make these smultaneous curves took many a beer.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Late night FINISHING the pizza oven project, that began last September. A work lamp illuminates the dome, and it almost seems as if the oven is glowing, and giving off its own incandesence. In reality, if the thing got this hot (from the color about 1900-2000F) then I would be in a heap of trouble, as would be my house. But just think how fast you could crank out the neopolitan pizzas!

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Originally posted by blacknoir View Post
    Holy cow that's awesome! So where are you in MN? I might have to swing out and have a pizza next winter instead of walking out to my 'outdoor' oven.. ;(
    Hi! Thanks! I'm in Rochester. First fire in about two weeks. First pizza in about three. Hope to have it down pat by -30 F time, so swing by anytime!

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
    Nice progress on your project!
    I really like the simplicity of your indispensible tool. Great idea with just the nuts and a washer.
    Thank you! The center of the oven floor has a (temporary) piece of wood, with a 3/4 inch hole, in which there is a short length of 3/4 steel rod from the junkyard. To this is welded a cheap hardware store hinge, with is in turn welded to the threaded rod. One side of the hinge has been marked, so that if that side is used throughout the positioning, the radius will be constant throughout the build. The hinges are slightly assymetric.

Leave a comment:

• blacknoir
    replied

Holy cow that's awesome! So where are you in MN? I might have to swing out and have a pizza next winter instead of walking out to my 'outdoor' oven.. ;(

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Nice progress on your project!
    I really like the simplicity of your indispensible tool. Great idea with just the nuts and a washer.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Very close to finishing, now. The bricks at this point need to be stayed by the positioning arm for about thrree minutes each, so they don't slide off into the abyss.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

A few more courses left and then a little vacaction in Napa Valley, and then the curing fires.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X