X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied
    Re: SE Minnesota insanity

Sorry I took so long to reply. I don't see any immediate drawbacks to the concept. As my build nears completion, I realize over and over again the virtue of simplicity. The fire will consume air, and draw it through the dome arch, and the air that replaces this consumed air will have to come from somewhere. My house is leaky and probably provides enough draft to work fine, but a vent is a good idea, I think, for an indoor build.

I though perhaps by code, building inspections would defer to woodburning fireplaces and would require a fresh air vent. Somone posted on here about ashes blowing around and my take would be that it should not be any worse than a fireplace since a WFO is deeper. I was planning on designing mine with the 4 inch vent duct in a channel under the WFO imbedded in the concrete slab under the vermiculite or fibre board. Then it would come out in the vent landing area just before the WFO door seal. The kind that fireplaces uses pivot up and point the fresh air to the fireplace so in my case it would point to the inside of the oven. When not in use, just close the vent down. Anyone think of drawbacks with this design?

Funny enough I did not see any details of a vent inclusion in the FB oven kits plans. They are certified for indoor use but no mention of how to integrate a vent into the plans.

Thx[/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Hey Eric,
    Glad to see you back.... Looking forward to you finishing
    Cheeers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• WoodchuckDad
    replied

That is really nice. You will be loving that when it's ready for action.....especially in the dead of winter when you have that magnificent fresh baked pizza and breads, etc coming out of the oven.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Progress of home exterior, showing nearly completed oven tower.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Well, I'm back. Building the foramen arch, which is curved in three dimensions. Lots of brick cutting.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Hi folks, I'm back. Girlfriend issues. Quickest way to kill an oven project.
    New pictures coming soon. The machine is back up and running! Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• tdibratt
    replied

Hi, I posted a seperate thread re an Indoor oven and SPLATGIRL told me about this thread. I too built several outdoor ovens, my latest one at my present residence completed last year. I am not thinking of doing one inside my basement kitchen reno.

I though perhaps by code, building inspections would defer to woodburning fireplaces and would require a fresh air vent. Somone posted on here about ashes blowing around and my take would be that it should not be any worse than a fireplace since a WFO is deeper. I was planning on designing mine with the 4 inch vent duct in a channel under the WFO imbedded in the concrete slab under the vermiculite or fibre board. Then it would come out in the vent landing area just before the WFO door seal. The kind that fireplaces uses pivot up and point the fresh air to the fireplace so in my case it would point to the inside of the oven. When not in use, just close the vent down. Anyone think of drawbacks with this design?

Funny enough I did not see any details of a vent inclusion in the FB oven kits plans. They are certified for indoor use but no mention of how to integrate a vent into the plans.

Thx

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Hey Eric,
    a long time since your last report!
    Unfortunately I'm too far away to lend a hand, but your project looks like it's on hold.
    How's the weather over there affecting your progress as others on the forum are almost snowed in.
    How is the 'other half' handling the 'inconvenience' in 'her' kitchen during the build?
    Time to put up some more pics mate!

Neill

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Hi Eric,

Looks good, your off to a great start on your dome....

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Well folks, 2 hours with the saw, a brew, and this is today's progress. Tomorrow it's time to butter these guys.

Leave a comment:

• cecilB
    replied

"I had to say goodbye to the idea of buying some nice CAD software I've always wanted"
    FYI Google Sketchup (free) is actually pretty good.
    Available from Google (duh)
    Last edited by cecilB; 11-22-2009, 12:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• trockyh
    replied

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
    Please don't get me wrong!
    I am all for allowing 'capable' people from helping, or those who want to learn, but just to let anyone help to speed up the process without really knowing what to do, or how to do it, without considering the consequences of your heartfelt construction, well, I'd rather do it myself, take a little more time and have it done as well as could be expected!
    After all, it is MY PROJECT and I want it done right, OK?

Neill
    I agree with you Neil,
    My wife and I do our projects together, partly because our 5 boys have lives of their own, but we love working together and take pride in what we do. I'm 58 and she is ...well, still 29 so she says LOL but we run circles around most younger people.
    We want things done right so we do them ourselves, and it it ain't right, we have no one to blame but us.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Please don't get me wrong!
    I am all for allowing 'capable' people from helping, or those who want to learn, but just to let anyone help to speed up the process without really knowing what to do, or how to do it, without considering the consequences of your heartfelt construction, well, I'd rather do it myself, take a little more time and have it done as well as could be expected!
    After all, it is MY PROJECT and I want it done right, OK?

Neill

Leave a comment:

• cecilB
    replied

Wow - that's the truth about being bitten by the bug! I've spent so much time studying the pictures and actually reading about mortar, and working with the wet saw and angle grinder...then someome comes over and is standing around watching, he picks up a brick and starts cutting and gets the angle right - ok...I'm thinking this could be good because then I don't have to climb down, then climb back up...then climb back down...BUT it was just beginners luck...he started going through bricks (and blade) and then he had to go in. AAAACK!
    Oh well...I only have a few more cuts to plug up the dome, and I believe this is harder than that !@#$!! dome to arch transition! Especially considering the angle I have to stand to do the work. I ain't no spring chicken and I am definitely not in shape!!!
    Yeah, so unless others are just as excited about building it right and get the focus you have, I'd just not let them cut your bricks...or mix your mortar...
    c

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
    NO, bad move mate, unless you have a heap of them spare.
    Nope, just do it and control it yourself. You can always cut a row at a time (even after hours) and then cement them into place, cut the next row and cement them. At that rate you will have your dome done in a few days.

Neill
    Neill, you are absolutely right on. There are those who just want pizza, and those who are infected by this oven building bug. I think these ovens are part our souls and egos, and I think I would have a hard time letting someone not bitten by the bug, make critical cuts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X