X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lill Dave
    replied
    Re: SE Minnesota insanity

This is going to be to cool , can't wait to see the finished product.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Yeah I would love to see the final result, and how doesn't affect the temp in the house when in use.

Leave a comment:

• Glassman
    replied

Yes I am also very interested in seeing some beauty shots of the oven.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by Eric Pfeifer View Post
    Thanks Splatgirl! It does heat up the house just a little, but not too much that it would be uncomfortable to use in summer. The air intake works perfectly, without the originally planned side vents. (I fired it a few times before enclosing the wall, and discovered they weren't necessary.) The venting also works perfectly. It has great draw, and absolutely no smoke makes it an inch forward the flue into the arch. The arch is a triple curve, almost kind of an igloo in itself. I don't need an exhaust fan. Very pleased. Beauty shots in a few weeks when the trim is finished! Cheers!

Have you used yours a lot this summer?

Eric
    Eric, it has now been over a year since you promised some beauty shots...

Please let us have a look at one of the most interesting ovens out there.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Thanks Splatgirl! It does heat up the house just a little, but not too much that it would be uncomfortable to use in summer. The air intake works perfectly, without the originally planned side vents. (I fired it a few times before enclosing the wall, and discovered they weren't necessary.) The venting also works perfectly. It has great draw, and absolutely no smoke makes it an inch forward the flue into the arch. The arch is a triple curve, almost kind of an igloo in itself. I don't need an exhaust fan. Very pleased. Beauty shots in a few weeks when the trim is finished! Cheers!

Have you used yours a lot this summer?

Eric

Leave a comment:

• splatgirl
    replied

Well, from what I can see, so far so good on the finishing. Please, more photos when it's ready for it's beauty shots!
    How is it working WRT smoke/air intake, etc.? Does it heat up your house much?

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

The trim work is not finished, but it's a fully functional indoor pizza-making battle station.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Crack repaired. Am letting the mortar in the crack air dry for a day, then back to gentle curing. My oven now has instant character, even before the first pizza!

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

First fire! Actually prior to this post, there have now been three curing fires. The vent and arch work beautifully. One large, full-thickness crack evolved from the soldiers to nearly the keystone of the cupola. Plan to repair this today and then proceed with curing process. I can taste them pizzas....

Leave a comment:

• splatgirl
    replied

Yikes. 2.88 IS a lot. I think I paid closer to $2 from them, and yea, that's what I used for the floor, too. Did not know about or think to inquire on the 12x12. How about soapstone for the floor? There are a couple of active threads about it if you poke around a bit.
    Don't worry, It'll be worth it regardless. Best project ever.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Thanks again for the kind words. Hello, again, Splatgirl!

First curing fire next Friday!

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Originally posted by realjaydub View Post
    Excellent work!

Eric, I live in Minneapolis and I'm embarking on my own outdoor wfo and am having a heck of a time finding affordable firebrick...where did you pick yours up at?

Thanks much!
    I bought mine from Rochester Brick (I think it's a Northstar company), and buying in bulk at contractor prices got me 280 full bricks at just a few cents over a dollar a piece.

Leave a comment:

• realjaydub
    replied

Originally posted by splatgirl View Post
    Hello realjaydub. Mpls burb resident here. Did my build last summer. AFAIK, the only refractory supplier around here is Smith-Sharpe in NE. Or at least they're the only place I could find that had low/medium duty brick. I think thats who blacknoir used, too.

"Affordable" is relative when there's only one game in town, I guess. At least I could go pick everything up with my truck.
    You might try calling around to some ceramics studios or the U of M art dept. to see what supplier they use.

p.s. nice work Eric! hopefully there's still a girlfriend around to enjoy it with you. or not!
    Thanks Spaltgirl....yeah I checked with them 2.88 a brick...I live in Nordeast so It's convenient enough.

Did you use the same bricks for the floor?

I know they want a ridiculous amount for the 12x12 floor tiles...

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Looks great, Eric! Look forward to reports of pizza!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• splatgirl
    replied

Hello realjaydub. Mpls burb resident here. Did my build last summer. AFAIK, the only refractory supplier around here is Smith-Sharpe in NE. Or at least they're the only place I could find that had low/medium duty brick. I think thats who blacknoir used, too.

"Affordable" is relative when there's only one game in town, I guess. At least I could go pick everything up with my truck.
    You might try calling around to some ceramics studios or the U of M art dept. to see what supplier they use.

p.s. nice work Eric! hopefully there's still a girlfriend around to enjoy it with you. or not!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X