It is begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is begun

I poured the 4'x5'x4" slab this morning, just finished edging it. Total cost: $12.00. I will post pictures when I strip the forms.

Re: It is begun

feels good right? I just poured my hearth today and I am a smiling fool!
    Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...land-8759.html

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Pictures? (Like I'm one to talk, waiting until the thing was mostly done before I posted anything.
      Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

I was hoping to lay brick today for the counter and base, but the weather is iffy. Tomorrow or even later today maybe. The square slab is for the oven, of course.

Comment

Love the herringbone beneath the windows! It looks like an excellent setting for the oven!

$12 for the whole slab? not bad.
          -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

I did the whole back of the house in that style. It was just painted T-111 before. I don't anticipate spending more than a hundred bucks or so for the oven; I have scavenged or been given everything I need already except for the perlite and I get that at about 5 bucks a 4cuft bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              I don't anticipate spending more than a hundred bucks or so for the oven
              Nice

Winter weather here will make me jealous of you. Your summer heat, not so much. Really nice place for an oven.
              I would have a shot at the answer, if I had the appropriate question.

Comment

Are those posts in your first photo supporting a roof ? (The rule of thumb is that your oven should be at least 10 feet from any combustible structure.)
                Last edited by Neil2; 11-26-2009, 08:07 PM.

Comment

They will support an open pergola like in the other photo. Not 10 foot away, but I will take my chances.

Comment

You just need to have your chimney/flue pipe end 2 ft. above any structure within 10 ft of the center point of said chimney/flue pipe. (National Fire Code, as explained by my local fire chief). And of course - add a spark arrestor.

RT

Comment

I got a few courses laid today.

edited for a better pic.
                      Last edited by Tscarborough; 11-24-2009, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Looks good, I like the $12 price. I was hoping to pour my slab today, but the rain hasn't stopped. Maybe tomorrow if it's not a lake.

Tom
                        Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

It finally stopped raining, so I got a little more done today, some of the brick wrap and the start of the wood storage hole. Just remember, if you can't lay brick plumb and level, make sure you lay them waaaayy out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                            It finally stopped raining, so I got a little more done today, some of the brick wrap and the start of the wood storage hole. Just remember, if you can't lay brick plumb and level, make sure you lay them waaaayy out.
                            Wild!

For a second, I thought I was looking at something disastrous; then I realized it was intentional. That's going to be quite an artistic statement, and a real conversation piece.
                            -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

This looks like it's going to be a very cool looking oven.

I love your home, yard & interesting brick work. The oven will certainly compliment it.

Oh to live in a warm climate!!!! (We are at -30 degrees C here today)

I look forward to seeing more pictures and following along with your build if only to see recent pictures of a nice warm yard

Comment

Working...
                              X