It is begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It is begun

Looking good. It supposed to be warm all week, finally. Looking forward to seeing the finished oven.

Comment

Floor down!

Comment

Structural dry lay of the vault and entry, as well as a detail of the vault construction. It is a sort of Timbrel construction, although I will build it over bucks with refractory cement.

Comment

Vault complete!

A long day, but the weather was great. I got started at 8, had the falsework ready by 10, and was laying brick soon after.

Comment

Timbrel construction

The construction is with split firebrick, cut lengthwise for a unit size of 1-5/8x2-1/4x9. Two layers of these then a coating of stucco to bring it up to a full 4" of solid masonry. I ran out of brick after the first layer, so I had to make a run and get another 36 firebrick. I was done with brick by 4, finished with cleanup by 5:30 and clean and holding a frosty beverage at 6:30...

Long Day, tomorrow maybe do the end and entry.
            Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-23-2010, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Looks great, you got a lot done today. It will be interesting watching your build, keep the pictures coming.

Tom
              Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

I can't wait to see pictures of the first bake!!!!!!!

Comment

It is very clean and needs minimal tuckpointing. I will get the end and front arch on today (hopefully)

Comment

I did the back, but am out of firebrick again. Oh well, football day anyway.
                    I cut the brick so they are half in-half out to provide a better seal.

Edit-they are dry laid in the pic.
                    Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-24-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Inner arch

I only had an hour or two tonight.

Nothing like cutting and laying bricks by Christmas light....

Comment

First fire! (built to keep ME warm while I worked around the oven).

Comment

I did a concrete watertable around 2 sides to match the countertops that I will soon do. When dry it will match the stucco walls and the mortar in the red brick. Only an inch will be visible; the enclosure will cove the rest.

Comment

Cold and damp, but I got a little done on the inner arch. I decided to key it in this time, and also offset it to the right 4 inches to provide an area to the side for embers.

Comment

I like how your arch consists of two wedge shapes.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                              Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Hey T, I think the offset might be a beneficial change in a small oven creating better access, it will be interesting to hear on how helpful it is. Is this why you re did the arch ?
                                Great progress
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X