X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: It is begun

Beautiful Pizzas !

I can't wait to get started.

Is the time stamp correct? 1:11 AM, what time is your bed time, did you forget today was a work day?

Keep up the great cooking !

Derk

Comment

My time it was 8:11 PM, I was sleeping by Nine.

Comment

Have you heard of any material that would bind together insulating firebrick?
        I have a dim memory that they put them together with a kaolin clay mixture. A call to a ceramic supply should answer your question. For kiln doors they are always secured on the exposed front and edges with steel framework, to which the hinges are attached.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I did a quick sand to get rid of flash and all the sharp edges and then cut it in half. It needs a small amount of grinding on the backside to fit, and I will wait until I am sure it works before I spend any time carving the face.

I left it centered in the entryway with the oven at 250 to cure out. It weighs about 12 pounds and I hope it loses 1/3 of that.

Comment

The door has been through 2 heating cycles, with no problems. It is still heavy and gets hot (190 on the outer surface maximum), but it held decent heat:

Fire out at 7:00pm on Saturday, then 1 batch of pizzas, 2 batches of bread on Sunday, and at 7:00PM on Tuesday it is at 155, 75 above ambient. Not as good as the perlcrete or AAC doors, but not bad.

I will probably core out about 50% of the door and replace it with perlcrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              The 'lil woman made lima beans and mashed potatoes to go with it.

Of course it had to be "field tested"....

That looks yummy. I have done some cooking in a Dutch oven with coals on top and bottom.
              Toby

Columbus, NE

Comment

SAAA-WHEAT!!!!!!Plaid meat - looks SO YUMMY!

Comment

I finished laying the brick for the grill chimney, now I am done with brick. Next up is concrete counter tops.

(just finished, still has to be washed down)

Comment

The door is skeletonized, ready for some 6-1 perlcrete:

Comment

Wow, very nice, and that should take a ton of weight off of that.....
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

It cut the weight by more than half for certain.

Comment

I used the same fibered insulating castable mixed with 2 parts perlite. I placed the door on the dust from the grinding, so hopefully some will embed on the inside surface. After filling the cores, I made almost a slurry with the castable and a little perlite and coated the outside for some durability. I am going to paint it with BBQ paint on the exterior.

Comment

The bottom is upside down in the photo above, FYI.

Comment

Hmmm my slab is not ten feet from my privacy fence but the chimney will be way over 2ft above the fence...thoughts???

Chris

Comment

Yep, two feet above anything within ten feet. You should be good. Around here there is a five foot set back from the property line, but that's a different issue.
                                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                                X