Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A continuing minor issue is the Likes count. If you look at the first page of this thread you'll see there are 14 likes (as of 10/16/2016) but the vBulletin software shows only one for the thread. If you scan through the forum threads you'll see very few with any more than 1 Like and most with 0 Likes...even though the Likes are often there. It's interesting that the Sticky "Treasures" in the Newbie forum reports 8 Dislikes for the initial post and I find that count very hard to believe (especially since there are no Likes reported!). I also do miss the old style of Likes that showed the names of those (last three only) who liked the post. Any chance of restoring that function? ...

I had brought the miscounting of Likes up earlier this year (late April, post #180 on this thread) and the vBulletin folks told Mitch they thought (??) the next upgrade would fix the problem. Apparently it did not...any feedback from them would be interesting.

On a positive note, I no longer have problems with editing updates and the resulting spinning "working wheel" that goes on and on
    Last edited by SableSprings; 10-16-2016, 11:26 PM.
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
      A continuing minor issue is the Likes count. If you look at the first page of this thread you'll see there are 14 likes (as of 10/16/2016) but the vBulletin software shows only one for the thread. If you scan through the forum threads you'll see very few with any more than 1 Like and most with 0 Likes...even though the Likes are often there. It's interesting that the Sticky "Treasures" in the Newbie forum reports 8 Dislikes for the initial post and I find that count very hard to believe (especially since there are no Likes reported!). I also do miss the old style of Likes that showed the names of those (last three only) who liked the post. Any chance of restoring that function? ...

I had brought the miscounting of Likes up earlier this year (late April, post #180 on this thread) and the vBulletin folks told Mitch they thought (??) the next upgrade would fix the problem. Apparently it did not...any feedback from them would be interesting.

On a positive note, I no longer have problems with editing updates and the resulting spinning "working wheel" that goes on and on
      Thanks for the post/recommendation Mike!

Based on what I've seen directly from vBulletin and other Forums using the same software, it is functioning the way vBulletin intended, but as I agree with you, not necessarily ideal to what one would expect. Right now, vBulletin calculates the number of likes on the initial "Topic" post only vs. an aggregate of likes throughout all the posts in the entire thread. For example, there are many likes throughout this thread, but only one on the initial Topic Post. Not ideal for sure, so I'll certainly put in the recommendation as that would help everyone identify what posts have allot of interaction! On the Sticky "Treasures" forum, I do see 8 likes, but I do not see a total number of dislikes - am I looking in the wrong area??

As far as showing the recent names of those who liked the post, I'll get with the team to see if this functionality was fixed and just not active on the back-end. Thanks for the feedback. Keep letting us know if you see anything strange as we will keep bugging the team to get everything fixed .

Thanks again Mike!
      Alex

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex_FB View Post

...On the Sticky "Treasures" forum, I do see 8 likes, but I do not see a total number of dislikes - am I looking in the wrong area??...

Thanks again Mike!
        Alex
        Interesting...if you look at the Newbie forum thread list, you see the Likes 8 reported for "Treasures". but when you go to that thread, the bottom right of "Treasures" first post has Unlike 8 instead of Like 8 ...sorry my post text stated it was a dislike (I'll claim brain hiccup ). I don't see that Unlike label on other threads with a Like so I think it is an issue of sorts that the vBulletin programming staff should look at--definitely a disconnect of data. I wonder if it is possible to change that manually? Since I don't see that elsewhere, perhaps when this issue first came up, Mitch or the programmers accidentally changed that particular label to Unlike.

Based on the threads I looked at, I did suspect that the vBulletin software was only taking the first post number of Like instead of setting a tally/accumulator of the complete thread that was shown on the Forum area listing. I also wonder if the programming variables of Like and Likes exist in the software and therein lies the mistake...somebody used or didn't use the correct variable for the thread Likes counter (total) and the individual post Like counter.

Again, I thank you and your staff for responding, reacting, and reporting on these relatively minor issues so quickly and efficiently. It is very comforting to see this demonstration of your company commitment to making and keeping this site such a valuable resource for so many members & viewers.
        Last edited by SableSprings; 10-17-2016, 12:53 PM.
        Roseburg, Oregon

Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile

Comment

• This is strange, or at least to me. I have a notification that someone posted a visitor message for me, but when I click on the link it says "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page". What's up with that?
          My build thread
          https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• I just noticed that the message was posted in the albums tab, so maybe the moderator removed it?
            My build thread
            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
              This is strange, or at least to me. I have a notification that someone posted a visitor message for me, but when I click on the link it says "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page". What's up with that?
              Interesting... In the past I have had notices that a post had been made on one of my thread subscriptions, but when I clicked on it (from the messages screen), I got the same "Sorry,...not authorized...". I thought it was odd since I could leave the message area and access the thread through the "normal" forums page. I haven't had that happen recently, so I just assumed it was another glitch in the old bulletin software...at least it's only happening rarely...and now in the albums section (????). Possibly someone will take a look at when this message is supposed to be invoked and let us know...
              Roseburg, Oregon

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex_FB View Post

Thanks for the post/recommendation Mike!

Based on what I've seen directly from vBulletin and other Forums using the same software, it is functioning the way vBulletin intended, but as I agree with you, not necessarily ideal to what one would expect. Right now, vBulletin calculates the number of likes on the initial "Topic" post only vs. an aggregate of likes throughout all the posts in the entire thread. For example, there are many likes throughout this thread, but only one on the initial Topic Post. Not ideal for sure, so I'll certainly put in the recommendation as that would help everyone identify what posts have allot of interaction! On the Sticky "Treasures" forum, I do see 8 likes, but I do not see a total number of dislikes - am I looking in the wrong area??

As far as showing the recent names of those who liked the post, I'll get with the team to see if this functionality was fixed and just not active on the back-end. Thanks for the feedback. Keep letting us know if you see anything strange as we will keep bugging the team to get everything fixed .

Thanks again Mike!
                Alex
                Alex, any feedback/comments from the team on the "Like" count issue or the occasional problem addressed by JRPizza (Post #199 above: This is strange, or at least to me. I have a notification that someone posted a visitor message for me, but when I click on the link it says "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page".) ?

I see that the first post of the 2nd sticky thread "Treasures" in Newbie section still has "Unlike (8)" at the bottom right...which I assume should be "Like (count)" as it is everywhere else I looked...any feedback on that one?

I'm asking about the "not authorized" message because I had a similar issue as JRPizza recently...although on Notifications--not Messages. The notification was for a post on one of my subscriptions. When I clicked on the post notification, I got a similar "not authorized to view this" message but when I went to the thread through the new posts option I could view it without issue. Not a big problem since it's easy to do an end-around, but thought you'd want to be aware of it.

In general, all seems to be going smoothly from my perspective of the forum and it's appreciated by all the members (and visitors) I'm sure. Incidentally, I just noticed last week that the number of pictures attached to a post had gone up from 5 to 6. Glad to see that happen, I guess I just missed that in the upgrade notes...
                Last edited by SableSprings; 11-19-2016, 01:17 PM.
                Roseburg, Oregon

Comment

• Mike,

I suspect that the problem with the "unauthorized to view" in a visitor message may be a case where someone sent a vistor message before their first post was authorized. I don't see anything in the moderation que but, If you can post or pm me the forum name of the sender, I will try to retrieve it for you to be able to view in your visitor messages. I say "try" because I have found that there are limits to what a "Member Mod" can do................Thinking.............. That is probably a good thing .
                  Last edited by Gulf; 11-19-2016, 04:43 PM.
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Thanks for the response Joe. The "unauthorized to view" issue I had was for a post on an existing thread to which I'm subscribed...not a message. It was on my Notification list and when I clicked on that thread from the list, I got the message. It's happened a couple of times in the past and since I was able to go to the main menu, new posts list and access it with no problems there, I only mentioned it as a note/FYI to the IT folks.

I still find the "Likes" issue to a be a bit annoying and misleading. I think I'd rather have the main thread list page NOT show the number of likes since it currently seems to only report the number of likes for the first post of any thread...not the total likes for the thread itself (which I'd rather have and would seem to be more useful...IMHO ). ...and why the Newbie sticky "Treasures" first post shows "unlike [8]" totally seems out of whack...

But, as I've said before, I think the Forum and system is overall working really well (I'm just a nit-picker I guess ) and seems to be quite popular...I certainly enjoy it and the folks here that I consider family now...by the way Happy Thanksgiving to all!
                    Roseburg, Oregon

Comment

• Sorry Mike,

I shot from the hip. I see now, where you said ......"although on Notifications--not Messages....." . I will link this to Alex_FB to get his attention. This is above my pay grade .
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
                        Thanks for the response Joe. The "unauthorized to view" issue I had was for a post on an existing thread to which I'm subscribed...not a message. It was on my Notification list and when I clicked on that thread from the list, I got the message. It's happened a couple of times in the past and since I was able to go to the main menu, new posts list and access it with no problems there, I only mentioned it as a note/FYI to the IT folks.

I still find the "Likes" issue to a be a bit annoying and misleading. I think I'd rather have the main thread list page NOT show the number of likes since it currently seems to only report the number of likes for the first post of any thread...not the total likes for the thread itself (which I'd rather have and would seem to be more useful...IMHO ). ...and why the Newbie sticky "Treasures" first post shows "unlike [8]" totally seems out of whack...

But, as I've said before, I think the Forum and system is overall working really well (I'm just a nit-picker I guess ) and seems to be quite popular...I certainly enjoy it and the folks here that I consider family now...by the way Happy Thanksgiving to all!
                        Hey there Mike and Joe,

I've put in a "feature" request to the guys regarding expanding the number of likes past the primary thread post because I think that would be very helpful as well - it is a vBulletin primary feature so I don't think we can change it for our forum alone unfortunately. Fingers crossed! As far as the "Unlike(8)" on the Treasures thread, it is actually showing you that you already liked the post and it is asking you if you want to "Unlike" it. If you look at the thread when you're not logged in, it shows "Likes(8)".

As far as your not authorized issue, thank you for bringing that back up. I understand there is an easy enough workaround, but if that is happening often, that can be very annoying. I'll put the pressure on so we can see if it is happening anywhere else and try to find a solution. Perhaps our custom theme is causing the issue / confusing something since our last update.

Comment

• Thanks Joe & Alex for the follow-up info. I do use the default vB5 interface unless I need to see the member location...the vB5 just is easier on my eyes. If I get the unauthorized message again I'll make sure to note particulars.
                          Roseburg, Oregon

Comment

• Out of curiosity, does anyone else have a problem with previewing a post while using the Forno style? When I'm in the Default vB5 style I write a post response, click the preview and see my response clearly in a "box" overlaid on the main screen. When I am in the Forno style, the preview box background is transparent so it's text over text and impossible to read.

I'm running Windows 10 and normally use the Default style when on the forum unless I want to see where a posting member is from. This isn't a big deal, but I am curious if it's my system or vBulletin special Forno style?
                            Roseburg, Oregon

Comment

• Mike,

I'm experiencing exactly what you described. I'm using the Forno style and running on windows10 also. However, I have found that if I click on the the preview box and drag it up just above the reply box, everything is clear to read.
                              Last edited by Gulf; 01-03-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                                Mike,

I'm experiencing exactly what you described. I'm using the Forno style and running on windows10 also. However, I have found that if I click on the the preview box and drag it up just above the reply box, everything is clear to read.
                                Yes, dragging the box lets me see it...the problem is with a larger post I don't have enough space above to drag the whole box "into the clear". Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one with this issue
                                Roseburg, Oregon

Comment

Working...
                                X