Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Brick Size?

Hi,

We have quite a few fire brick that are 2.5-7"X5X18 long, also our design is almost all exact dry fit.

How much mortar is required if the bricks fit tight?

Anything that I should know about using such large bricks in the hearth and back wall?

Thanks
    Derk

Re: Fire Brick Size?

Using large brick is actually good for the hearth. The less seams the better for cooking since the the hearth/floor is the surface where the food will be cooked. If your brick is 5 inches thick then you'll have more thermal mass than most other oven's built with the FB Pompeii Plans. Standard firebrick is around 4 inches thick you see but I don't see any problems with that. Worst consequence is that it will take you a few minutes longer to heat up the floor.
    sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
    WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
    Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Thanks for the help.

I remeasured my brick and it is 4 1/2 inches thick. It is also new firebrick from a scrapped steel factory, they had many, many, many thousands of different sizes. The company selling it said it was good for 3000 degrees F. We are planning on a 27X41 oven floor with a 14 inch arch height. We are designing a barrel oven. Does anything sound funny with those numbers?

Thanks for your advice.

Derk

Comment

With a 14" arch height, your opening will need to be around 8.75 to 9 inches tall. That seems pretty low. My barrel vault is 22"Wx36L" long, with an dome height of 22" and an opening of a tad over 13".

Comment

I am still in the dry fit, see what size I really want stage.

Thanks for the help.

Are there any other critical measurements that I need to be aware of before I start mixing cement?

I could just add a brick or two to the arch and opening and I could come close to your measurements. Does it draw ok?
          I have ordered all of the most popular and recommended books through interlibrary loan to get all the knowledge I can before I start.

I will try to post a few photos this evening of what I have to work with.

Thanks again,

Derk

Comment

One match fire start and not a whiff of smoke out the front.

Comment

Is the bottom of the flue pipe at the inside height of the dome or the opening?

Comment

Comment

Thanks !

That is the picture I have been looking for!

Did you use regular mortar to full in the space or Refractory?

Comment

Home brew refractory. Link in sig has all the pics.

Last edited by Tscarborough; 04-14-2010, 07:43 PM.

Comment

More great pictures. Thanks

Is this order correct:

Block stand
                      30X30 slabs--concrete?
                      Perlite/concrete insulation layer?
                      Thin layer of mortar to set firebricks
                      oven floor

I have seen a few designs that have an isulating layer recessed in the top cavity between the blocks, a layer of cement that spans the blocks and then oven floor.

I am about to get serious but I am still looking for fireclay to make my own homebrew. So far $29.00 to ship a $15 dollar bag,50 lbs.

Derk

Comment

Have you googled masonry suppliers for your area?

Yes, I had some old 30x30x2 inch pads I used instead of placing a slab, then 4" of perlcrete, a mortar leveling bed, then the floor.

Comment

I have found a few ceramic/pottery places I am going to try tomorrow. There seems to be different types of fireclay. Is your percrete pad sturdy? Hold the weight well ? Compress? There seems to be many approaces to slab, insulation, floor percrete combinations.

Comment

Ceramic/pottery places around here charge $9.50 for a firebrick while the masonry supply houses charge a buck fifty for the identical unit.

The compressive strength of 8-1 or even 12-1 is more than adequate for this application. There are many ways to skin the cat, but the purpose is to build a thermal mass, highly insulated.

Comment

Tom,

What was the recipe for your home-brew fireclay mortar? there seems to be many skinned cat ideas on this also.
                              I have found fireclay (dry) here in Salt Lake. It is about $16.00 per 55lb but no shipping.

Derk

Comment

Working...
                              X