X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg

I dont know, you boys in Qld, raining one day dry the next.....

Come to gods own country.......

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Steve
    That's a nice little outdoor area you've got there.
    I know we all want rain buts its been good to get all my wood dry and stowed away
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Thanks Dave. I gave that some thought and the existing gutter only services the patio, the rest of the roof has a dedicated gutter. Just need some decent rain to test the theory!

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Steve,
    Really nice set up, although I'm no fan of a valley roof.You will probably need another downpipe at the other end.
    Dave
    Last edited by david s; 10-12-2013, 09:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

It has been a while since I updated this but I have now finished the roof over the forno and installed outer chimney pipe complete with cowl that I had fabricated by a local sheet metal shop. Charged me $90 for the job so I am happy with that. No more putting a bucket over the flue either. I sealed the roof/chimney with high heat silicone and it works a treat. I was surprised at how cool the lower portion of the outer pipe stays.

The job is now complete and after using it for some months I must say that it was worth the doing. Very tasty food, my domestic gas bill is nearly nothing and if we could get a drop of rain, all would be good indeed!

These are the wrap up pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06746.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	297844

Name:	DSC06770.JPG
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	297845

Name:	DSC06773.JPG
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	297846

Not sure how I ended up with these pics all over the place but they are on the page.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Thanks to all for the advice. I think I have it sorted now, the larger outer pipe and the Dektite seal around that with the appropriate sealant. A decent cowl on top of the lot should finish the job.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    All good idea's. You could give this a bash as well. Available from your local Big Green Shed.
    Yeah,
    this is good stuff. I use it too.

Leave a comment:

• Cookie Monster
    replied

All good idea's. You could give this a bash as well. Available from your local Big Green Shed.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Here is a flexible boot that can go over the above recommended outer pipe and then the storm flashing that would go above the larger pipe and around the hot pipe. The boot easily conforms to the roof ridges, is sealed with silicone, and attached with tek screws.

Leave at least an inch gap between the top of the larger pipe and the storm collar to allow the heat to escape from around the hot pipe.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 07-30-2013, 09:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• vtsteve
    replied

I would make a collar several inches high, out of the next-size-up flue pipe, and seal that to the roofing. Then pass your single-wall flue through, leaving an air gap, and finish with a conical 'storm collar' to keep the weather out of the gap. The gap will reduce heat conduction to the roof, and allow for expansion/movement of the roof and flue.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Can anyone provide advice? After some months of camping under canvas the time has come for the forno to go undercover. I am about to put a roof over the igloo to keep the weather well at bay.

I am seeking advice about sealing the flue where it goes through colourbond steel sheet roofing (trimdek). The flue is single wall stainless and since it is just the roof sheeting that it has to go through there are no issues about combustible material being in the area. I looked around and found Dektite but they are only rated to 250 C and I expect that it gets a lot hotter than that.

Can anyone provide any guidance about how to do this?

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Split some wood today that I collected after the floods. It was nearly purple when it was wet and has now semi-dried to mauve/blue. I think it might be mangrove. Anyone had any experience of it? It is a semi-hardwood, should burn ok when it dries properly.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Thanks for the link, the story starts at 35:30

I met these guys at the caravan show in melbourne (2013), when I told them I was a bricklayer they encouraged me to go there in 2014 which I am still thinking of doing.

In the clip it shows a restorative stone mason helping out, when I was at Farina I thought that they really needed some help as the stone restoration is very amateurish.
    I know they need to work quickly as they only spend 2 weeks per year at the site but they are using cement based mortar which will further degrade the unrestored stonework.
    Maybe Im wrong here with using cement based mortar for stonework restoration ?

The sand they use for the mortar is literally just scrapped of the ground.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 07-13-2013, 10:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Just to share. Today there was an extended segment on ABC Landline about Farina. A town in South Australia that is largely a ruin but is being restored by volunteers. Those of you who followed Brickie's recent travels would have seen the pics and account provided by Al. I found it quite interesting.

A particular point of interest is the old WFO that is in the bakery which has been put back into use by these volunteers while they are there. The segment will be of interest to those interested in WFO's and given that most of the buildings in the town were built of stone, those interested in masonery.

The link will take you there. You are looking for the Landline episode of 14/07/2013. You might have to FF through some of the other stuff (unless you are interested in Australian rural affairs).

ABC iview

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

true its always way better than anything store bought that's mass produced (rather eat the box).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X