Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally put some hoarded materials towards a very decent temporary stacked brick oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally put some hoarded materials towards a very decent temporary stacked brick oven

Hey Folks,

I've browsed this forum on and off again for a number of years, and as a whole carcass roaster, smoker, and general high effort cooking enthusiast - I've always known that an outdoor oven of some type would be in my future.

This fall I had a week in-between jobs so I decided I had time for a short "me" project, so decided to use the 100 old clay bricks and 20 saved fire brick splits to use using a modified version of Make Magazine's stacked barrel oven This thing went together super quick, by my build took me longer than "a day" but I knew this would happen (especially since I needed to put a roof over it to keep clay from washing away!). There are plenty of things to improve upon, even at the most basic level, no insulated base! But after using it 1/2 dozen times, I finally figured out how to use the oven and have had decent results. And yes, my oven is currently set on top of a dock; its definitely temporary!

I am now in future planning phase: do I make a base for this thing then seal it in with refractory cement? Do I make it a bit wider then make it permanent? Do leave the dry stacked barrel style behind and go far more complicated and make a domed pizza oven? Not sure, but I know I'm in the right place to research and learn.

I'm outside Halifax Nova Scotia, so definitely affected my ever changing weather, but we are used to doing stuff outside all year long!

Anyway, I look forward to continuing my very early education in this helpful forum.

Thanks!
    Jeremy

Click image for larger version  Name:	a white pizza.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	434843 Click image for larger version  Name:	brick oven.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.1 KB ID:	434844 Click image for larger version  Name:	margherita.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	434845
    Hey Folks, I've browsed this forum on and off again for a number of years, and as a whole carcass roaster, smoker, and general high effort cooking enthusiast - I've always known that an outdoor oven of some type would be in my future. This fall I had a week in-between jobs so I decided I had time for a short "me"
    Last edited by Gulf; 01-16-2021, 09:26 AM.

Welcome to the Forum community! I'd definitely advise thinking about building a cover or "doghouse" enclosure with your climate. Be careful, it looks like you have the cooking floor bricks set directly on the plywood...bricks can get easily get hot enough to chat & ignite the wood. Look forward to your "real oven" build.
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks!
      yeah it isn't easy to see, but I put plywood on top of deck, Concrete pavers on top of that, then sand and the fire brick splits floor. Good thought though, Maybe I’ll try and temp scan under the deck next cook.

also in the not easy to see category is the steel dome roof on top. Kind of weird, but it keeps the water off that clay.

Comment

Before to go to far with the permanent base, I would check with the local building code how far or offset the chimney needs to be from the flammable wood siding on the house. In the the US it is typically at least 10 feet from any flammable structure.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
          Before to go to far with the permanent base, I would check with the local building code how far or offset the chimney needs to be from the flammable wood siding on the house. In the the US it is typically at least 10 feet from any flammable structure.
          Thanks - that's a good consideration! It felt a little weird putting this temp oven where I did, but I rationalized that since evrything is contained in stone I'd go for it. That was the other reason I went with a temporary oven; we don't have the final layout of the location yet. it'll be well away from the house when all is said and done.

Comment

Great to see a fellow maritimer! You’re definitely in the right place for info and planning. You won’t regret a permanent dome oven.

Comment

Working...
            X