daves build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: daves build

Also guys I am going to add a insulating blanket, so should I attach that before curing or wait untill curing is finished?

Comment

Originally posted by crwdtb View Post
      I am a bit confused regarding these fires? Do I build a paper fire and then let it go out or do I keep adding paper for a few hours.
      I cannot expertly comment on this but what I tried to achieve during these firings is to maintain a constant temp. on each day, gradually increasing the temp every succeeding day by what the Curing Fire PDF prescribes.

Once the temp went down I would fire another piece of newspaper and so on and so forth only because I have copious amounts of time to dedicate to the oven. But, of course, I would let the oven cool down for the next days firing. By making the oven expand and contract gradually through a heating and cooling cycle, you are, in essence, slowly "breaking in" the oven's dome. Not to mention you are also helping the oven expel any moisture trapped in it.

Originally posted by crwdtb View Post
      Also guys I am going to add a insulating blanket, so should I attach that before curing or wait untill curing is finished?
      I put my insulation blanket on while doing the curing fires. Others would say that it doesn't matter either way but I wanted to keep the heat in to help dry the dome. I haven't seen any proof if this really helps but the oven has not suffered any ill effects with the ceramic blanket on. Others would keep the blanket off to patch up any cracks that may appear during curing fires.

According to the specification sheet of my ceramic blanket, it is vapor permeable, allowing the steam to escape. Yours should be the same but I'd check to be sure.
      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
      Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Thanks Raff for your detailed reply,
        I really dont care about cracks I cant see on the outside and if they dont effect the ovens performance then so be it so I guess I will put blanket on before curing, thanks for the tip to ask if its permable, its those little gems of info that make this forum what it is!
        Cheers
        Dave

Comment

Dave,
          I got a 500w halogen lamp and put it in my dome for the week while I was waiting to start curing. It kept the temp inside at 100f.
          Eric

Comment

The most impotant bit that some builders miss, is not to put the acrylic render on before you have got every bit of water out of the drying out process. YOU CAN NOT PUSH STEAM THROUGH A WATER PROOF BARRIER.

Comment

After talking to guys at brick refractory, (thanks for all your help) I decided to put a layer of sherlite I think its called , which is a bit more insulation before putting blanket on then the render. It is pourous and breathes. I am really keen on getting the oven to retain its heat for longer periods of time so hence the extra insulation! Also got the boy to earn some of those pizza's he has been ordering at the same time.
              Cheers
              Dave

Comment

Hey Dino is this what you meant by increasing smoke chamber before flue?
                I will attach the flue to the top of this chimmney extension.
                Cheers
                Dave

Comment

Long time coming ! first paper fire!
                  Even without the flue the chimmney drew the smoke well!
                  It was a bit hard to guage the temp in there but the top went slightly black!
                  I hope that wasnt to hot.
                  Cheers
                  Dave

Comment

attached flue to top today lined the base plate with blanket for the expansion of the steel , hopefully wont crack. Drew the smoke well.
                    Cheers
                    Dave

Comment

Hey Dave,,
                      Looking good... Keep up the nice work

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

thanks garage!

Comment

Hey guys,
                          Im guessing this is just the moisture making its way out of the dome, the white spots! its after 3rd fire.

Comment

your oven looks great.
                            Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...land-8759.html

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Good having a birthday that coincides with the firing of a new oven.
                              Im fully decked out now!

Comment

Happy Birthday Dave!
                                Having a wfo (and all the pizza making gear you're wearing in you picture ) is a great way to celebrate.

I don't know about the sherlite, maybe the white spots is the moisture driving thru it (wet spots) even though they said it breathes, your fires still pushed out more dampness. Don't worry about the blackened dome-top. That happens with the smaller fires.

Your vent looks really good. Be careful on the curing fires still. Try and keep those small fires going for a few hours if possible and move them around the oven floor in the first few days of the 100 thru 300 degree fires. That's just my opinion. It certainly wouldn't hurt to add in another day or 2 of curing i in 50 degree increases to make it a slower curing and to be sure the moisture is driven out before you get to the 400-500 deg temps if haven't already gotten there. You'll be cooking really soon! Congrats, Dino
                                "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                                http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Working...
                                X