daves build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: daves build

You can use sealers for concrete and porous tiles. The sealers help waterproof and stain proof concrete and tiles. You might have to buy a specific sealer depending on what you are sealing.
    I don't know how good the sealers are long term but every few years you can always give another coat or two.
    I bought some terracotta tiles for my oven that are very porous and had some concrete sealer that's destined for the garage floor so I used it on one tile (experiment only). I then poured oil, tomato sauce and wine over the tile and left it there for an hour and it cleaned right of.
    When my oven is finished I will buy some proper terracotta sealer to be on the safe side.

Comment

Thx gcm , no I have never laid a brick in my life before taking this thing on but it has opened my eyes up to a whole new world of never saying you cant! As stated in this forum "i nearlly didnt start this project due to the fact I didnt think I could do it"

Comment

OscarA thx for your reply , I have just been looking into sealers and I think that is the way I am going to go.As you said you can always recoat down the track if you need to.The other option was to use a small concrete polisher and buff the baby back. I will need to research that a bit more though as im not sure how much it takes it back, maybe it needs to be done separately then attached?

Comment

Slab laid for the kitchen and have decided I will make my own custom made polished concrete top with a sealer on it. Also might insert a granite square into the top or marble so you can roll and nead the doe for pizza as I hear concrete even when polished isnt very good at not staining with things like that?
          Any ideas appreciated

Comment

"polished concrete top with a sealer on it"

I used a product called "enrich'n'seal" by Aquamix. This "wetted" the concrete bringing out the colours in the aggregate (when polishing I had cut down to expose some aggregate).

It also is food safe and can withstand oven hot pots being placed on it.
            Last edited by Neil2; 02-17-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

hey neil thx for the reply , the benchtop looks great. Thats exactly what im going to do.
              Did you put any oxide colouring in the mix? also did you use a bag mix or did you mix the cement by yourself?

Comment

Started on the framing for the benchtop and barby.
                Going to put in a double glazed underbench fridge on the left and havent decided if I should put a cuboard on the right or a slide out bin?
                Any ideas as a stainless steel cubboard or drawer set is hard to find on its own.

Comment

Not sure how hot the barby actually gets but thought it might be a good idea to put some concrete sheeting around the inside where it sits, as well as around the bar fridge area, thought it might insulate it a bit? who knows making it up as I go along.

Comment

Cant believe I didnt use treated pine, im a moron!

Comment

• Re: daves build

My wife convinced me to match the deck on the pool with the benchtop instead of polished concrete! I gave in. Happy building all
                      Cheers
                      Dave

Comment

• Re: daves build

Originally posted by crwdtb View Post
                        My wife convinced me to match the deck on the pool with the benchtop instead of polished concrete! I gave in. Happy building all
                        Cheers
                        Dave
                        Cold Coke in the frige is inviting Looking good!

Looks like a small change to make her happy with the matching material and all....Win/Win for the family. Well done.

If you feel strongly about some of the things you've learned, be sure to post them in the lessons learned forum.....Oh, wait! There is no Lessons Learned Forum
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
                        X