Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oven Build in SC

On the IT ?
    i would fix that now and get that set so you don't have adjustments later. If you adjust the tool by shortening later, the bricks will not line up with the course that was set using the longer measurement. Post a pic of your IT setup if you can. You can take a brick out or mount to 1/4" masonite or even screw to a brick and sacrifice that brick. I know others have done the change on the IT, but you will have so much going on in those upper courses, you really dont want something else to keep up with. And, your dome will change its curvature and could make tying the arch in even more difficult. Also, i would suggest making your inner arch template now and setting the arch bricks on it as you try and figure out those arch bricks. It will really help visualize the setup and the distance that you have from the center of the oven.
    Tracy
    This a pic from the octoforno build of the setup.
    Last edited by texman; 10-12-2012, 07:44 AM. Reason: add pics
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Finally making some more progress. I re-made my IT tool so the pivot point was closer to the floor after a recommendation from texman to get it done first. I just ended up welding a nut to a pivot bolt for the simple solution.
      Then got almost all the first course cut,(is this the first course or second course, not sure because of the course that surrounds the floor), but not mortared in yet, that will be this weekend when I have more time than just 1 1/2 hrs a night. But I also need more time because I will be completing around the base of the inner arch and constructing the inner arch too.
      I'm planning on homebrew for the mortar. This will be a first for me so I'm a little nervous about it, I've never done any mortaring before and I want it to work right the first time!!!! I will probably do a test batch and put a couple scraps together and see how it will work. Onward!! or Upward!!!

Steven

Comment

nice tight cuts............one thing make sure you soak the bricks before mortaring, dry bricks just soak up the moisture and give you little time to adjust. This time of year it may just require a quick dip in water. You will get a feel for it. Mix small batches anyway and use excess to clad the outside of your dome. Good luck
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russell, about the cladding with the left over mortar, I noticed with your build you also check marked the cladding, can I ask what is the purpose, is it for guiding any cracks that occur?
          Thanks and I appreciate all the helpful hints.

Steven

Comment

Steven
            Nice cuts and setup looks great. Just a couple of suggestions if i may: Do you see how the IT shaft is in the top third of the brick in your pic? You really want the IT to contact the brick in the center of the brick to avoid a slight offset as you go vertical. Also, why not add a clamp to the end to hold the brick? It will be an extra hand for you and you will need all the "hands" you cant get. Just one other suggestion(one i didn't do BTW) but makes a lot of sense. Some of the builders have cut that first course so the joint is not in line with the floor height to prevent the pizza peel from getting stuck there. I set my dome on the floor, so i couldn't do it, but since you are outside the floor, you could. Not required, but makes sense.
            Tracy
            Texman Kitchen
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Steven,

I scored the cladding just in case I put v-crete before the ceramic insulation. It would give the vcrete a surface to grab on to. But I am going to install ceramic insulation on the dome so really was not necessary. I any event, use can use the excess homebrew as dome cladding, scored or not. Why waste the material......good luck. PS good eye by Tex on the IT, center of the IT shaft should be center of the brick.
              Russell

Comment

Thanks everybody for the info and for noticing the IT tool issue. I welded up a new tool this morning and will reset the course of bricks tomorrow with the new IT end.
                I'm really happy I didn't mortar those bricks yet!!!

Comment

V,

I notice on your arch form you only have about 1/4 inch release on the bottom. You may need more to remove the form after the arch is set. I made this mistake and Tscar eagle eye caught it for me before it was too late. I redid and had at least 1/2 inch release space on bottom of arch form. You will need arch form later as a template for the door so you don't want to bugger it up getting it out later.
                  Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 10-19-2012, 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
                  Russell

Comment

LOL, you guys have eagle eyes!! Actually Russell, I probably have a little less. It was a spot that I would have thought "less is better". And I've read more than once about using it for a template for the door and still forgot about it. I will get right on it. I'm going to be starting the inner arch tomorrow and I'm very thankful you noticed it TODAY!! Much appreciated. And a hell of an eye for detail!!
                    Funny thing is when I go to do something I look and read and think and think and I finally say "that looks right" and it still not!! (LOL)

Comment

Now I'm really messing up. I posted a request on somebody's thread that I meant to put on mine so I want to apologize for that. And I can't find it to move it.
                      My request if anybody know's is .... On somebody's thread I saw they showed a jig for the top of the wet saw to help with the taper and angle when cutting the firebricks to help minimize the upside down V. Well, I've been looking for a few days now and can't find it again! Does anybody know where this post is? I would appreciate it if somebody can help!!!

Thanks Again,
                      Steven

Comment

Hi Steven

Russel made a jig like you are talking about and documented it on his thread
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/wo...tml#post133294
                        I am a bit spoiled with my "Rigid" saw as the blade tilts.
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/4...tml#post134262

I think most of the other builds are closed for the winter. I will be applying stucco this weekend (the summer project continues) the pizza do taste great! We cooked a bunch of pies for my younger son and his friends before they went out trick - o - treating!
                        Hang in there!
                        dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                        sigpic

Comment

bty
                          I found what you were looking for because the first time I found it on Russel's thread I "liked it". When I click on my screen name I can look up all the entries I have "Liked" - makes it easier to find that one cool thing later.
                          dvm

sigpic

Comment

Well I finally mortared my first of many bricks and finished the inner arch. I was trying to follow recommendations to finish the inner arch then tying in each course as I go. At the expense of a couple bricks and maybe a little bitty head ache it's done!! I will now start to mortar the first course then onward to the next and next and next. Oh yeah, a little miss calculation on my part as I could not get the mortar joints as tight as I wanted. My opening is 12 13/16 tall as opposed to the 12 1/2" recommended, so about 5/16" higher then recommended. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? If really needed I could attempt to shave a 5/16" off the assembled arch but really don't want to chance leaning it over and bring it to the wet saw.
                            Speaking of the mortar I have a few questions and concerns before I mortar anymore. I'm going with the homebrew (3 fine sand-1 portland-1 fireclay-1 type S lime) and tried to make a "peanut butter" consistency. No problem there. I took two pieces of scrap firebrick and mortared them together with approximately 1/16" mortar joint. I didn't do anything special like soak these as they were just to see what happens. Well I can't budge them a bit, they are locked tighter than I could have imagined. Again good news. But....the little clumps of mortar that fell aside and dried I picked up the following day and I could crush these "homebrew" clumps with my fingers. Again, I've tried a number of times to break the test bricks apart and can not do it. Is this typical of the homebrew? Just a little scared about it and would like to hear from anybody about this. Hopefully I just don't understand all the physical properties of the mortar and this is typical. I've never mortared a brick before this in my life so lots of insecurities.
                            Last edited by videts38; 11-06-2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Steven
                              You are making great progress! I noticed the late night photos, it can be an addicting process! If the 5/15 is going to haunt you, give the arch several days to cure (keep it moist - you don't want it to "dry") then shave off the bottom. Of course the risk is that some joint will fail and then you are patching things together. You could "simply" increase the height of your dome by 37% of 5/16 to maintain the 63% ratio of arch to dome
                              Personally the 5/16 would not bother me and I guarantee it will not affect the performance of your oven - those pies will taste just as good. Also, these ovens are not exact, the little "flaws" (some bigger than others - point the camera away) give them character and make them your own, and you will quickly forget them as time goes by.
                              I don't have any comment on home brew - I used FB mix.
                              Keep up the good work!
                              dvm

sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the arch height. It will be fine. Looks great.

As for the mortar, yes - small bits of dried home brew can be crumbly. As long as you follow the ratios you will have no problems.
                                My build progress
                                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                                X