Newbie homemade oven project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie homemade oven project...

... after searching and browsing thru this forum, I realize that I really suck at mortar work, and have no idea what I am doing, but I am moving forward anyways!! I didn't even really start with a plan, just an idea. I have 0 experience with carpentry, and even less with brick / mortar work.

Last edited by Poohbair; 10-04-2013, 08:28 AM.

Re: Newbie homemade oven project...

Gudday
    Edit button bottom right
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

temporarily turn off images in your user control panel and then you'll be able to see the edit button to cut the images out or relink to smaller ones.
      Last edited by jms; 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

So that is where I am at as of yesterday. Hoping to get my fire bricks set this weekend after go fishing. I am thinking of using Thinset so that I can get the fire bricks all as flat and level as possible... The base is full of sand, and then has a layer of wine bottles and Perlite, and then I mixed a batch of Mortar with a bunch of Perlite mixed into it and put it over the top. The perimiter of the base has 240lbs of concrete and 160lbs of mortar poured down into the holes, along with alot of empty PBR cans to fill the empty holes.

Planning on a cob style oven on top with no chimney.

Comment

Was planning on cob oven, but I am really digging these steel dome ovens... hmmmmmmm... got me thinking

Comment

Whats the idea with all the bottles?
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Beats me. Most of the cob ovens that I looked at had them for insulation? I really have no idea what I am doing. I just want to cook pizza

Comment

You need to get some calcium silicate board down before you lay the hearth bricks, that is the insulation, not bottles.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Its too late now!!

Was searching around today trying to locate a propane tank end, but did not have any luck. I will search some more, but may end up going with cob afterall.

Comment

picked up a steel 55 gallon drum yesterday. Hoping to use that to build my oven around....

Comment

Poohbair,

Listen to Brickie's advice, "good" floor insulation makes or breaks the ovens, there are many examples of builders who did not insulate the floor properly and went on with their builds only to ask why their ovens do not work correctly. If not CaSi board, vermiculite or perlcrete concrete mix will work too, just thicker. We just don't want to say later told you so.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                              Poohbair,

Listen to Brickie's advice, "good" floor insulation makes or breaks the ovens, there are many examples of builders who did not insulate the floor properly and went on with their builds only to ask why their ovens do not work correctly. If not CaSi board, vermiculite or perlcrete concrete mix will work too, just thicker. We just don't want to say later told you so.
                              The floor over the bottles is Perilite / Mortar Mix that ranges from 2" to 5" thick???

Comment

Working...
                              X