Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: oven stand size

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
    David.....can you clarify to me how cantilevering a slab makes it stronger?
    If your supports under the slab are inboard from the perimeter (cantilevered) then you reduce the span between the supports. This means that less strength is required to support the same load and that means that you can make the supporting slab thinner if you wish.
    It's like building a house of cards, only you make sure it won't fall down.
    Last edited by david s; 05-17-2014, 02:37 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
      I need an additional 4 inches of depth to accommodate a 32" Pompeii oven. The additional 2 inch slab on top was to add thickness to support the weight
      I would pour a full four inch slab for the cantilever. For a cantilever, two thin concrete slabs set on top of one another doesn't equal what the strength of a full thick single pour would yeild. That is, if it is properly reinforced.

just sayin'
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        I would pour a full four inch slab for the cantilever. For a cantilever, two thin concrete slabs set on top of one another doesn't equal what the strength of a full thick single pour would yeild. That is, if it is properly reinforced.

just sayin'
        I agree. I know that will not be your ideal height, but at this point, to do it right, there is no other way. Is it feasible to add a small step later to make up the height difference? Also, I'd refrain from using that 3/4" rebar.
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post

just sayin'
          That's what we decided to do. Those pillars moved easily so today my brother and I used concrete glue to stick them in place and when I get back from my trip I am going to pour a new 60x70" hearth slab ib place of the old slab and go from there....in case I flip back to wanting a 36" oven ;P

Comment

Good decision. Good luck w/it.
            My Build:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
              Good decision. Good luck w/it.
              Thanks... I will be using the proper sized rebar and if it's too tall I'll look at putting in a small step.

Comment

Working...
              X