X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: oven stand size

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    TheBigT,
    20 bucks for a 50 lb. bag of sand............... What do they charge up there for "masonry sand"?
    Yeah things are expensive here...I found quikrete patio jointing sand fornhalf the price but not sure it'll work or not QUIKRETE? - Sand - Patio Paver Jointing Sand

Ill go with extra and return what I dont need.

As for cutting the brick im going to see if my buddy has a good saw, as purchasing a 10" saw isnt in my budget as theyare expensive up here(see what they charge for sand), otherwise ill have to use my 7" wet saw to score it and break off the rest.

Comment

I would go with the jointing sand.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Great thanks... I'll get 80lbs of that stuff for half the price of silica sand

Comment

It has been really cold here....last week it was -5C overnight so I haven't gotten to do any work on this project yet. Last night I started drawing out both a 32" and 36" ovens on some poster board. After seeing the 32" on paper it appears that it will be plenty big enough for me as I will mostly use for pizza and bread as most of my roasts & other meats end up in my smoker. I'm hoping to form this up today as I have help and I'm gone away on business 2 out of the next 3 weeks.

Since my top slabs are not fastened I am able to play around with them a bit and I was wondering if this will work. http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/a...514_191500.jpg

The slabs are still on the top of the middle pillars and by spacing them out I get an extra 4" or so which takes the depth of my hearth to 56 1/2", which I believe will hold a 32" oven. Here is my thought(not sure if it is a good one though lol)....Form up that gap between the 2 slabs along with adding 3" per side using 2x material like Gulf drew up for me. I'd also make the form so in one pour I could do both fill that gap and add 2" on top of the entire slab for a total hearth slab thickness of 4 1/2". I have 3/4" rebar on hand at the house which I could use in place of 1/2" rebar. This would give me a hearth slab that is 56(w) x 56 1/2"(L) x 4.5" thick.

Will this work or am I coming up with really bad ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
            It has been really cold here....last week it was -5C overnight so I haven't gotten to do any work on this project yet. Last night I started drawing out both a 32" and 36" ovens on some poster board. After seeing the 32" on paper it appears that it will be plenty big enough for me as I will mostly use for pizza and bread as most of my roasts & other meats end up in my smoker. I'm hoping to form this up today as I have help and I'm gone away on business 2 out of the next 3 weeks.

Since my top slabs are not fastened I am able to play around with them a bit and I was wondering if this will work. http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/a...514_191500.jpg

The slabs are still on the top of the middle pillars and by spacing them out I get an extra 4" or so which takes the depth of my hearth to 56 1/2", which I believe will hold a 32" oven. Here is my thought(not sure if it is a good one though lol)....Form up that gap between the 2 slabs along with adding 3" per side using 2x material like Gulf drew up for me. I'd also make the form so in one pour I could do both fill that gap and add 2" on top of the entire slab for a total hearth slab thickness of 4 1/2". I have 3/4" rebar on hand at the house which I could use in place of 1/2" rebar. This would give me a hearth slab that is 56(w) x 56 1/2"(L) x 4.5" thick.

Will this work or am I coming up with really bad ideas?

I'm not sure I follow what you plan to do, but 3/4" rebar is a bit thick. Did you mean 3/8"?
            My Build:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

I usually cantilever the supporting slab. I think it looks better and because the span is less than if you have your supports at the outside, it makes it stronger too. Remember that most of the weight is inboard from the perimeter so the supports are better placed under where the weight is. Regarding size, my oven is very small (21") by most members standards but does pizza parties of up to 35 easily and cooks the family roast or a few loaves of bread with minimal fuel. A small oven is also way cheaper and faster to build. "small is beautiful" For some reason Americans have been led to believe that bigger is better. Look at their cars of the 70's
              Last edited by david s; 05-17-2014, 12:04 PM.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
                I'm not sure I follow what you plan to do, but 3/4" rebar is a bit thick. Did you mean 3/8"?
                I just had some 3/4" rebar but I can purchase another size if thats too big.

Basically what I was looking to do was build another piece between my two existing slabs to fill that gap in the picture. This would essentially allow me to make my hearth 56". From what ive been told a canteliver has to be 4" thick and my existing slab is only 2 1/2" thick so I wanted to pour another 2" thick slab over the entire area to make it 4 1/2" thick.

Comment

The thickness of your cantilever, or whole slab for that matter depends on how much weight you're asking it to support. Plenty of builders have cut their bricks with a 5" angle grinder fitted with a diamond blade ( but wear a decent respirator the brick dust is dangerous)
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                    The thickness of your cantilever, or whole slab for that matter depends on how much weight you're asking it to support. Plenty of builders have cut their bricks with a 5" angle grinder fitted with a diamond blade ( but wear a decent respirator the brick dust is dangerous)
                    I just need the additional canteliever to hold up the oven entrance.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
                      I just had some 3/4" rebar but I can purchase another size if thats too big.

Basically what I was looking to do was build another piece between my two existing slabs to fill that gap in the picture. This would essentially allow me to make my hearth 56". From what ive been told a canteliver has to be 4" thick and my existing slab is only 2 1/2" thick so I wanted to pour another 2" thick slab over the entire area to make it 4 1/2" thick.
                      So....you are pouring a 2" cap on top of the existing? If so, in my opinion, I would not use any rebar in something that thin, even 3/8". I would advise using a small aggregate, a strong mix and perhaps some fiber mesh on something that thin. There are builders on here w/experience pouring slabs that thin for counter tops,etc. that can probably give you firsthand help and most of my experience is pouring "normal" thicknesses. I feel the slab is not thick enough at 2" to use rebar, especially if they overlap. Using rebar that is too thick can have an adverse effect on the slab and actually cause a crack. Also,there is no standard that states how thick a cantilever has to be. All this is just my opinion. I would hope others, especially those w/experience pouring thin slabs, will chime in.
                      My Build:

Comment

If I could get away workout having to pour a slab on top even better as the height is perfect now but I want it to last... Perhaps may pouring a new slab with the proper thicknesses is the right thing to do.

When wanting to make everything perfect I keep second guessing which route to go lol

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                          I usually cantilever the supporting slab. I think it looks better and because the span is less than if you have your supports at the outside, it makes it stronger too. Remember that most of the weight is inboard from the perimeter so the supports are better placed under where the weight is. Regarding size, my oven is very small (21") by most members standards but does pizza parties of up to 35 easily and cooks the family roast or a few loaves of bread with minimal fuel. A small oven is also way cheaper and faster to build. "small is beautiful" For some reason Americans have been led to believe that bigger is better. Look at their cars of the 70's
                          David.....can you clarify to me how cantilevering a slab makes it stronger?
                          My Build:

Comment

I think what you may mean is perhaps this: not making the slab bigger to make it stronger, but keeping it the same size and building the foundation a bit smaller, thereby placing more of the load over your foundation? I'm guessing that's what you mean.
                            My Build:

Comment

My foundation was built two years ago and is 50*50. I poured it this way as I had planned on doing that foam form oven then got smart and decided on a pompeii

Comment

I need an additional 4 inches of depth to accommodate a 32" Pompeii oven. The additional 2 inch slab on top was to add thickness to support the weight

Comment

Working...
                                X