No announcement yet.

My 36" corner build with Argentine Grill and spit roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used up off cuts to repair my old outdoor fireplace.1st pic dry stack of chimney

Comment

Will have to cut off as much as pos to reduce the width so it doesn't impede my decorative arch will try to set it back a touch.I may have to extend the entrance by 3" making a total including thermal gap and mortar joint of 13" will give me a deeper transition and lessen the chance of blackening on decorative brickwork .
      Last edited by Bauldy 2; 12-04-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Made templates to cut granite will have to recut chimney stock as thin as poss to clad metal funnel ( above post & pics.)below decided to keep brickwork flush below granite.

Comment

I should be able to finish by end of jan depending on weather gonna start cutting the granite for the landing this week .

Comment

Finally finished the plug,Will try and start to fit granite surround Sunday.

Comment

Congratulations Bauldy,

It looks great! Closing the dome is a milestone that should be celebrated .
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Good job on the plug there, Bauldy. Love the gecko
                Last edited by jonv; 01-14-2017, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks very much for the comments,the xmas break slowed me up but back on the build spent all day grinding the granite surround to make a nice pencil edge will fix it this week then I can get on with the entrance.It looks like I will have some ready mixed cement over and had the idea of using it as a thin render layer then while it was still wet sprinkling a layer of vermiculite over it and setting some stainless steel cable ties in it also.The cable ties I intend to poke through the insulation blanket and sinch them up on the chicken wire helping to keep the dome shape and securing everything in place.The vermiculite is only half a bag I had over from replacing my old outdoor fireplace the idea being to iron out a few imperfections in the outer dome shape before I add the blanket .what do you guys think?? Will post pics tomorrow thanks again for support oh and I'm definitely doing argentine grill finished drawing yesterday it just might work .will be a case of suck it and see with a bit of wing it and ding it.

Comment

Not sure whether to increase the size of opening by removing front row and use the old stock decorative arch to support the front edge of the stainless steel collector thus increasing opening from12x8" to 12"x 10" I obviously want it to draw well up the collector and up the 7" flu.On the other hand by doing this I risk blackening of the decorative arch at the front. I may see how it draws with the bricks in and angle grind them out if need be any thoughts guys??

Comment

Finally finished relaying the off cuts to back of fire place .Will repaint the grate frame used a old broken storm drain grate as the base been using this outdoor fire for last 15 years but last year the chimney cracked and smoke was escaping and also the fire board in the hearth was mushy from the rain .So replaced the stack with new 3 mm 316 stainless pipe 7" diameter new rain cap new stainless steel collector at the base ( identical spec as I intend to use on oven)did this while waiting for granite pads to come .

Comment

Too dark to get photo of chimney .

Comment

Bauldy,

I placed arrows on two small brick. Moving them to the rear, and the whole brick behind them forward will yield a stronger bond. I can't tell if the head joints are staggered on the courses below. But, it would be best if they were. The fireplace is looking great!
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Can't do that Joe the whole bricks are all cut with cut out ready to hang on internal arch and the table saw went back to the hire company would cost about 70£ to redo the two cuts.
                            I will be using some split old stock bricks to cover the firebricks they are 9"x4"x 1" thick I thought cementing them tight on the outside of the arch bridging the bond would help prevent cracking ill mock up a couple of ideas tomorrow and take a few pics.It would help the strength if I don't remove the front3 bricks in the photo .
                            but if I leave them in I run the risk of the opening not being quite big enough to create a good draw. and so I thought make the hole larger by 2" front to back and rely on the front decorative arch to be the front edge of the opening.
                            Opening would be 12" wide by 8" deep if I leave them as in photo
                            or12" x 10" if I remove them.it will probably work and draw fine with the smaller hole.
                            I HOPE !
                            if not it's angle grinder lots of swearing and more hope that removing them doesn't weaken the whol arch.

Comment

For what it's worth, I would leave the front arch bricks in place - they're a rather important part of the structure. My flue gallery is 8" deep and seems to draw pretty well so I reckon you should be ok.

Comment

I've been concentrating on getting the granite worktop right ,it's meant that I've been able to conceal my pool boiler the idea being to have a lift out portion of work Top for when pool boiler is on at night, then during the day have a nice long worktop.However this led to me having to redo the plumbing for the waste for 3 sinks a dishwasher and a waste disposal.I made a false floor from some large porcelain tiles the extra space will house a couple of fridges and a pull out Island for use when making dough.I also moved all the pool plumbing over 300 mm and re plumbed the filter.ill post pic soon will start outer arch this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X